Dan McGee & Co. -- Trash Pack, "Da G-Funk Era"
1) He is currently a candidate for the Green Party in the 1998 New York gubernatorial election. He appeared as Uncle Joe Russo in the movie "Married to the Mob" and owns an Italian restaurant called "Grandpa's." FTP, who is this TV actor best known for his role as Grandpa Munster on "The Munsters?"
Answer: Al LEWIS
2) badbreath.com, diarreah.com, pimples.com, germs.com, pringles.com, deoderant.com, underarm.com, sensual.com, bisphosphonate.com, maxfactor.com, panteen.com, metamucil.com, oldspice.com, pampers.com, fixodent-and-forget-it.com
FTP name the company who owns the rights to ALL of these domain names ....Although they don't seem to have registered "Procter&Gamble.com"
Answer: PROCTER & GAMBLE
3) "Old Man Stauf built a house / And filled it with his toys / Six guests all came one night / Their screams the only noise." Some of Stauf's toys include puzzles where you need to cut a cake, move bishops on a chessboard, and rearrange cans in a pantry. FTP, name the immersive puzzle-solving game described here.
Answer: The 7TH GUEST
4) Upon graduation from New York State University in 1978 with a masters degree in acting, Geoffrey Giuliano was forced to take a job as a clown to support his family. He eventually rose through the ranks of clown-dom till he was making $50,000 per year. He is now writing a book entitled "Confessions of a Corporate Clown," which he hopes will make amends for his actions as, FTP, THIS famous clown.
Answer: RONALD MCDONALD
5) Some of us Quiz Bowl types may earn Ph.D.'s at some point in our lives. And some would tell you it stands for "Doctor of Philosophy," but Puff Daddy lends some of his infinite wisdom to us all in his song "Can't Nobody Hold Me Down" where he gives an alternate translation of the abbreviation. FTP, what is this alternate translation.
Answer: PLAYER HATER'S DEGREE -or- PLAYER HATING DEGREE
6) This actress has stated, "I am Bi Lingual, occasionally I am Bi Coastal, sometimes I am by myself, but I am not Bi Sexual." This porn star refuses to do lesbian sex scenes and works exclusively with director John T. Bone. FTP, name this porn star who had sex with 300 men for the World's Biggest Gang Bang 2 video.
Answer: Jasmin ST. CLAIRE
7) It is connected with at least two deaths: a teenage boy from Long Beach who died of a skull fracture in 1964 and a woman from Fremont who died in 1984 after being thrown from a car when her safety belt became unbuckled. Disneyland employees call it the "widowmaker," because this ride that simulates the experience of riding in a bobsled has the worst safety record of all rides in Disneyland. FTP, name this Disneyland attraction named after a mountain in Switzerland.
Answer: the MATTERHORN
8) Jonathon Frakes and Marina Sirtis did voices for two characters in this 1994 animated movie. The movie was a spin-off of its daily afternoon cartoon and was essentially a prequel to the cartoon. FTP, name this movie about creatures who turn to stone at sunrise.
Answer: The GARGOYLES movie: THE HEROES AWAKEN
9) Founded in 1927, this organization's six honorary members include Henry Kissinger and Nelson Mandela, and in 1956 a civil war in Per� was put on hold for its sake. Its members, including Ron Wilson, Dut Mayar, Billy Ray Hobley, and "Sweet" Lou Dunbar, will face possibly their toughest game in recent memory when they play the Lebanese Professional All-Star team on October 24. FTP, name this basketball team which has won several thousand consecutive games over the Washington Generals.
Answer: Harlem GLOBETROTTERS
10) Although they probably won't admit it, this band's name comes from a victory in a "battle of the bands" competition in which they beat a band called "Ezra." FTP, name this band which produced a track for the "X-Files" soundtrack this year, but is probably better known for it's earlier hit, "Good."
Answer: BETTER THAN EZRA
11) It is the only G-rated movie that contains the word "Fuck," because the word only appears for a fraction of a second on a computer screen. Highlights of the film include a talking bomb, an alien creature that looks like a beach ball, and an astronaut surfing on a piece of space debris. FTP, what is this 1973 science-fiction spoof by director John Carpenter?
Answer: DARK STAR
12) After her family won $108 million in the Illinois state lottery, their ratings fell and we bade farewell to Roseanne and company last May. FTP, show that we'll always remember her by standing up, grabbing your crotch, and spitting.
Answer: pretty obvious, but make them clean up their own spit.
13) They were originally developed in 1956 by a chemist at General Foods who wanted to find a method for making instant carbonated soda. The product was finally put on the market in 1975, then withdrawn in 1980, because of a false rumor that they caused the death of John Gilchrist, also known as Mikey from the Life Cereal commercials. FTP, name this junk food that consists of tiny nuggets of hard candy with bubbles of cardon dioxide trapped inside.
Answer: POP ROCKS
14) This 1984 movie was based on a book originally written in German. It's characters include Rockbiter, Morla the Ancient One, a horse named Artax, a Childlike Empress, a luck dragon named Falkor, Atreyu, and Bastian. FTP, name this movie which seems to contradict it's own title since it's only 94 minutes long.
Answer: THE NEVERENDING STORY
15) Between 1965 and 1969, this Illinois State Representative had an affair with a married woman named Cherie Snodgrass. He later became a member of Congress where he is currently deciding the fate of another adulterer, Bill Clinton. For ten points, name this Illinois Congressman and chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.
Answer: Henry HYDE
16) It's regular characters include Father Time, Mr. Smartypants, The Big New Year's Baby, The World's Oldest Woman, and Miss Information. According to Warner Brothers, this new animated series aims to present "historical subject matter in an exciting, original and histerically amusing way." For 10 points, name this cartoon new to the fall line-up which may get kids on the path to QuizBowl at a very early age.
17) It served as the inspiration for the Spice Girls' "Say You'll Be There" video. John Waters calls it his favorite movie and a 1980s hair metal band appropriated half the title as its name. The plot focuses on three big-breasted go-go dancers who try to steal a hoard of money from an old man who lives in a shack with his brain-damaged son. FTP, name this cheesy Russ Meyer movie from 1965 with three exclamation points in its title.
Answer: FASTER, PUSSYCAT! KILL! KILL!
18) Although this song has recently been revived by the current "swing revival," it is technically not a swing song, but a "jump blues" originally recorded by Louis Prima. It is also recognizable as the musical accompaniment to a commercial that used fluidly rotating cameras and freeze frames to sell khaki slacks. FTP, name this hit song that has temporarily saved Brian Setzer from a bleak future as a 1980s musical has-been.
Answer: JUMP JIVE AN' WAIL -or- JUMP JIVE AND WAIL
19) Founded under a different and more accurate name in 1975, this athletic conference has 12 member schools, and in 1997 it created a football conference which includes such colleges as Richmond and James Madison. It has placed five teams in the NCAA basketball tournament in each of the last two years in spite of having such mediocre teams as St. Joseph's and Fordham. FTP, name this conference which includes Xavier, Rhode Island, and Temple and is supplanting the Big East as the best basketball conference on the east coast.
Answer: ATLANTIC 10
20) Fryin' Brian & Electric Bill... Adam Bomb & Blasted Billy... Furry Fran & Hairy Mary... Up Chuck & Heavin' Steven. These and many more lovable characters were featured on collectible cards by Topps to parody the hot fad in dolls at the time. FTP, what are these often disgusting cards meant to parody the Cabbage Patch Kids?
Answer: GARBAGE PAIL KIDS
BONUS (the plural of BONUS... as in deer and deer)
1) 1st part:
Consider yourself in the following situation, "You're lying on you're back with your head on the edge of the bed, The booty's two feet from your head." Although Miss Manners couldn't be reached for comment, the "Freaks of the Industry" were able to offer four possible courses of action. For 5 points each, name the four options.
Answer: a) TAKE THE TIME TO FIND A CONDOM; b) you WALK RIGHT OVER AND YOU POUND 'EM; c) TELL HER THAT YOU WANT HER LOVE; d) ALL OF THE ABOVE
Now for an additional 10 points, give the artists or group who rapped "Freaks of the Industry"
Answer: DIGITAL UNDERGROUND - or - MONEY B & SHOCK G
2) I will give you a list of the hosts of three reality-based TV shows from the 1980s. Your task is to identify the name of the show for 10 pts. each:
John Davidson, Kathy Lee Crosby, and Fran Tarkenton
Answer: THAT'S INCREDIBLE!
Jim Stafford, Priscilla Presley, and Burgess Meredith
Answer: THOSE AMAZING ANIMALS
Sarah Purcell, Skip Stevenson, Byron Allen, and Fred Willard
Answer: REAL PEOPLE
3) Identify the following athletes who were suspended for drug use this summer, FTP each:
a) The Irish swimmer who had suspiciously risen from obscurity to win three gold medals in Atlanta, and who was recently suspended for four years for tampering with her urine sample.
b) The world-record holding shot putter who was suspended indefinitely for testing positive for androstenedione.
c) The 1992 bronze medalist in the 100 meter dash who was suspended at the same time as Barnes for having too much testosterone in his system.
Answers: a) Michelle SMITH; b) Randy BARNES; c) Dennis MITCHELL
4) For 25 points, give all 12 points of the Boy Scout Law. For an additional 5 points, also give the traditional 13th.
Answer: the standard 12: TRUSTWORTHY, LOYAL, HELPFUL, FRIENDLY, COURTEOUS, KIND, OBEDIENT, CHEERFUL, THRIFTY, BRAVE, CLEAN, REVERENT
the traditional 13th: HUNGRY
5) So you call yourself a Simpson's fan... FTP each, answer the following:
1st- Who was Lisa's first kiss?
Answer: NELSON MUNTZ
2nd- Why does Homer say Saturday night is special to Marge and himself?
Answer: DR. QUINN, MEDICINE WOMAN
3rd- Who ran over Snowball I?
Answer: Clovis QUIMBY
6) Identify the following rock stars based on highlights from their arrest records for 10 pts. each:
1st- Arrested in New Haven in 1967 for making an "indecent performance"; arrested in Miami in 1969 for "lewd and lascivious behavior," "open profanity," "public drunkenness," and "indecent exposure."
Answer: Jim MORRISON
2nd- Arrested in Milwaukee in 1981 for simulating a sex act on stage and attempting to assault a police officer; arrested in Cleveland in 1981 for appearing on stage wearing only whipped cream and simulating a sex act; found dead by a self-inflicted gunshot wound in 1998.
Answer: Wendy O. WILLIAMS
3rd- Thrown out of a hotel in Berlin in 1998 for standing on his balcony naked; arrested in Virginia Beach in 1998 for shoplifting; arrested in West Hollywood in 1998 for making "terrorist threats" against security guards.
Answer: OL' DIRTY BASTARD - or - O.D.B. - or - RUSSELL Tyrone JONES
Identify the movie given the following quotes:
30: "Spiders, snakes, and a lizard's head... If I tattle-tale, I'll die 'till I'm dead."
20: "Don't you worry none Sheriff, the safety's on Old Betsy."
10: "It appears I now have an Outlaw for an Inlaw."
Answer: Disney's ROBIN HOOD
8) I want my MTV! Given a description of a music video, give the title (5 pts.) and the artist (another 5 pts.) for each of the following:
1st -- The parents of a young boy are quite peeved when he makes fun of their religion in a school play.
Answer: MMM MMM MMM MMM by the CRASH TEST DUMMIES
2nd -- A bike morphs into a car which apparently has a trunk big enough to fit an entire beach party, mariachi band and all.
Answer: FANTASTIC VOYAGE by COOLIO
3rd -- Free concert is given atop a building. The streets get so clogged with people that the police arrive and shut the whole thing down. The whole affair was taped for this video.
Answer: WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME by U2
9) Most people have someone they consider their best friend, and Big Bird, of Sesame Street fame, is no exception. First, for 15 points, what is that best friend's FULL name?
Answer: Mr. ALOYSIUS SNUFFLEUPAGUS.
Second, for the truly young at heart and another 15 points, what is Aloicious Snuffleupagus's younger sister's name?
Answer: ALICE SNUFFLEUPAGUS
10) First, for 5 points each, name all 4 ingredients of Breyer's brand Strawberry Ice Cream.
Answer: MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, STRAWBERRIES
Second, for 10 points, what Breyer's product sells with the slogan, "One slice is never enough."
11) FTP each, identify the artist, given some interesting information on them.
1st- He wrote for "Kriss Kross" before he got his big break. And although he probably doesn't have first hand experience with the subject, his current album is entitled "Life in 1472." Name this artist who's latest hit off that album is "Money Ain't a Thang."
Answer: JERMAINE DUPRI
2nd- Her current manager, Will Smith, was her cousin on the "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air." Name this artist who's current hit is titled "Daydreaming." Extra hint: every other letter in her name is a vowel.
Answer: TATAYANA ALI
3rd- Her self-titled debut album contains two hot singles, "Imagination" and "So Into You." But the hottest news regarding this artist is that she'll be marrying basketball star Grant Hill sometime next year.
12) A David Bowie classic, "The Labrynth" is a favorite of many the Eighties Child. Answer the following about it for 10 points each:
1st -- What is the exact phrase one must say to have the goblins come take someone away to the Goblin City?
Answer: I WISH THE GOBLINS WOULD COME AND TAKE YOU AWAY, RIGHT NOW!
2nd -- When Sarah first meets Boggle, what is he doing?
Answer: PEEING in a FOUNTAIN (also accept 'TAKING A LEAK' etc, but need the FOUNTAIN part)
3rd -- Bruno has a special ability. What is it?
Answer: He can CALL the ROCKS (also accept COMMAND the ROCKS, etc.)
13) Answer the following multiple choice questions taken straight from a McDonald's website for 10 points each.
1st -- How many ingredients comprise a Big Mac? 6, 7, 8, or 9?
Answer: _7_... two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.
2nd -- How many pounds of potatoes does McDonald's use per day?
a. 100,000 pounds
b. 800,000 pounds
c. 1.3 million pounds
d. 3 million pounds
Answer: _D_ McDonald's uses over 3 million pounds of potatoes per day.
3rd -- How many sesame seeds are on the average Big Mac bun?
Answer: _C_ The average Big Mac bun has 207 sesame seeds.
14) For the truly balanced team, this question has 3 parts. In each part you will be asked to finish the song lyrics given a starting line. You will be awarded 10 points if you can recite at least the next 20 words. A small margin of error will be allowed, but less than 20 words earns you no points. (Reader: count the words as they go along and allow for a small margin of error for non-important words (words of three letters or less). Answers are not given in caps, but that doesn't mean they aren't required.
Part 1: "A long, long time ago, I can still remember how that music used to make me smile..."
ANSWER: "And I knew if I had my chance, that I could make those people dance and maybe they'd be happy for a while. But February made me shiver with every paper I'd deliver..."
Part 2: "Hold me now and watch the hoodwink, as I make you stop think, you'll think you're looking at Aquaman."
ANSWER: "I summon fish to the dish, although I like the Chalet Swiss and I like the sushi 'cause it's never touched a frying pan. Hot like wasabe when I bust rhymes..."
Part 3: "Now what the hell is you lookin' for, can't a young man get money any more?"
ANSWER: "Let my pants sag down to the floor, really do it matter as long as I score? Can't my car look better than yours? Can't I have a 'Vette without no flaws..."
15) Given the following quotes, FTP each, identify the movie from which they hail.
1st- "If you get the wrong note, we'll all be flat."
Answer: The GOONIES
2nd- "Hey Laser-Lips! You're mama was a snowblower."
Answer: SHORT CIRCUIT
3rd- "Okay, now do exactly as I say. Everybody ready? ..... Okay...GET HER!!!"
16) Given the "Wierd Al" Yankovic song title, for 5 points give the title of the song he's parodying, and for another 5 name the actual song's performer. EXAMPLE: "Eat It" is a parody of "_Beat It_" by _Michael Jackson_.
1st- "The White Stuff"
Answer: You Got It (THE RIGHT STUFF) by THE NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK
2nd- "Addicted to Spuds"
Answer: ADDICTED TO LOVE by ROBERT PALMER
Answer: STAND by REM
17) Give the original names (including the city) which the following major sports franchises had when they were first founded, FFP each:
a) Baltimore Ravens
b) Chicago Bears
c) Milwaukee Brewers
d) Texas Rangers
e) Minnesota Twins
f) New Jersey Devils
Answers: a) CLEVELAND BROWNS; b) DECATUR STALEYS; c) SEATTLE PILOTS; d) WASHINGTON SENATORS;
e) Accept either WASHINGTON SENATORS -or- WASHINGTON NATIONALS; f) KANSAS CITY SCOUTS
18) For this bonus, you will be asked to identify song lyrics by the rap group Public Enemy. The tricky part is that the lyrics have been translated into German using an online translator, then translated back into English again. You will get 10 pts. for each song you can identify.
You can to be low gone to bass as? Death series, which brother now? Again back the unbelievable rhyme is animal. Pump lyrical the D, general enemy of one. Five O said "frost!", and I kept deaf.
Answer: BRING THE NOISE
Elvis was a Hero most, but he never meant scheisse to me. Sees they straight lines of high racist, this sucker was simple and normal. Nut/mother fuck it and John Wayne.
Answer: FIGHT THE POWER
I received a character from the government the other day. I opened and read him. He said that they required me for their army, or whatever. If you represent me to give one damn, I said "never!"
Answer: BLACK STEEL - or - BLACK STEEL IN THE HOUR OF CHAOS
30: The Ick Factor, the East German Laundry Detergent, the Evil Orthodontist, and the Boobies are all words and phrases that appear in the episode titles for this program.
20: The full episode titles typically begin with the phrases "The One With" or "The One Who," which are typically abbreviated by hardcore fans as T.O.W.
10: An example of such an episode title would be "The One With Phoebe's Uterus."
20) For 5 points each, name up to 6 of the 9 characters in search for a Snark in Lewis Carroll's "The Hunting of the Snark." Your hint: they all begin with the letter "B."
Answer: BELLMAN, BOOTS, BARRISTER, BROKER, BILLIARD-MARKER, BANKER, BEAVER, BAKER, BUTCHER