UMBCBCBC I - February 8, 1997
Singdown Category: Songs from a Disney movie
1. To commemorate holding off the Turks at the siege of Vienna, Holy Roman Emperor Leopold
I asked bakers to make a special pastry, given the name kipfel. A century later, Marie Antoinette
introduced these buttery treats to France. FTP identify this formerly high-brow food upon which
you can now get a breakfast sandwich at Burger King.
2. When the Taiping Rebellion spread to southern China, he helped to organize resistance, and
soon became a top imperial commander. In 1861, he became governor-general of Shensi amd
Kansu, helping to pre-empt Muslim rebellion. But, FTP, identify this military leader, better known
today for lending his name to a cheap to produce Chinese meal of marinated chicken dark meat
combined with sauce and hot peppers.
_GENERAL TSO_ Tsung-t'ang
3. Though rumors swirled that he would replace Eddie Robinson at his alma mater, Grambling, he
instead took the head coaching position at Morehouse College on January 7. Known for a
somewhat bitter autobiography "Quarterblack," detailing his estrangement from the Redskins, he
had also played for Tampa Bay in both the USFL and the NFL. For 10 points, identify
this MVP of Superbowl XXII.
4. He was a member of the group Avant Garde whose 1968 single "Naturally Stoned" reached
number 40 on the pop charts. He went to California in the '70s to become a singer/songwriter, and
was listed as such when he appeared on the game show TattleTales with his wife, JoAnne Pflug,
but he ended up in television, first as a singer on "Your Hit Parade," then as a cast member on
New Zoo Revue, and in 1975 as the original host of "Wheel of Fortune." FTP name this man,
whose later hosting gigs included "Scrabble" and "Love Connection".
5. A mobster in the Witness Protection Program becomes the head of a theme park pitted against
Disney in "Native Tongue." A college football star becomes a Marxist radical, and kidnaps the
Orange Bowl queen during the halftime show in "Tourist Season." And in "Skin Tight," a hit man
with a bizarre skin disorder, raised by the Amish, loses an arm only to have it replaced by a weed
whacker. For 10 points, these people are just some of the characters created by what comedic
6. He's not the Hindu monkey god Hanuman, but he was mistaken for him in January, when his
vehicle was mistaken for Hanuman's floating temple. He landed in the village of Nunkhar, India,
before the mistake was discovered. For 10 points, identify this man who set records for distance
and endurance, but was unable to complete his goal of circumnavigation by balloon.
7. Lorne Greene, Georg Sanford Brown, Florence Henderson, William Shatner, Robert Goulet,
and William Conrad all guest starred on this TV series, but were killed during the opening credits.
This and other sight gags such as not-quite still shots at the end of each episode prompted ABC
executives to say it required "too much attention" of viewers, causing its March 1982 cancellation
after just 6 episodes. FTP name this series, which inspired half as many movies as it had episodes,
and which followed the exploits of cop Frank Drebin.
8. Stu Silver wanted to create a show based on the characters in the Tracy-Hepburn comedy
Woman of the Year. ABC programming chief Lew Erlicht wanted to feature a performer he saw
in a Burger King ad. The result was this sitcom which some called a ripoff of Diff'rent Strokes.
For 10 points, identify this series which starred Alex Karras, Susan Clark, and Emmanuel Lewis.
9. In January seven men accused of sorcery were lynched in Ghana, accused of causing this object
to shrink and disappear from several victims. In fact, in the capital troops were called in to
restore order and special television reports were made to show that the phenomenon was mainly
linked to fear in males. For 10 points, identify this anatomical part whose disappearance in this
country is linked to Lorena Bobbitt.
10. Her first name is a shortened version of a much-longer Basque name, and she added her
mother's maiden name in 1988. She frequently travels with her two dogs, Roland and Garros, and
she has been a three-time co-winner of doubles team of the year. FTP name this tennis star whose
brothers Emilio and Javier are also travelling pros, and who is the only Spaniard to be ranked
Number 1 in the modern era.
Arantxa _SANCHEZ VICARIO_
11. He solved "The Case of the Missing Case," for Miller Lite, and became one of the few authors
to play his own character on film. When producer Jay Bernstein wanted to create a series based
on his works, he only had three demands, film it in New York, a .45 not a .38, and surround Stacy
Keach with beautiful women. For 10 points, identify this author of "I, the Jury," and "The Killing
12. Depending on the server's preference, he may choose a lively ball, an average ball, or a dead
ball, and players are strictly forbidden from playing left-handed. A wet towel is kept at courtside
at all times, in order to keep the straw from breaking on the players' cestas. FTP name this sport,
which has killed at least four people since the 1920s, probably due to it having the fastest ball of
13. 697 is Montevideo, Uruguay. 3031 is Zululand. 823 is Chilly Willy. CH-37 is Herod Kills
John The Baptist. These are among the reels that could be played in a 1960's Standard, 1970's
Lighted, or Clear-Backed, among other models. Later, sound was introduced as well. FTP name
this plastic device, which allowed you to toggle through 14 pictures, and which you held up to
your face and aimed toward a light in order to see the images on the reels.
14. His chief method of punishment is forcing you to sit in a room with the thermostat set too
high for fifteen minutes. His purpose is to make people suffer for flimsy rationalizations, white
lies and other minor sins, by 'darning' them. For 10 points, identify this "Prince of Insufficent
Light and Ruler of Heck" thankfully confined to the panels of the "Dilbert" comic strip.
15. Some new inhabitants entered this mystical region in 1984, including Mr. Mint, Queen
Frostine, and Gramma Nutt, but adventurers must still traverse the Lollipop Woods, Molasses
Swamp, and Gumdrop Pass. FTP identify this confectionary nation, created by Milton Bradley.
16. "Panama", "Paradise City", "Smoke On The Water", and "Enter Sandman", are a few of the
tracks on his latest album. To celebrate this release, he recently appeared with Alice Cooper at the
American Music Awards, dressed very interestingly. FTP name this man who formerly epitomized
white-bread music, whose previous songs included "Speedy Gonzalez", "The Theme From
Exodus", and "Love Letters In The Sand".
17. They weren't banned by the government, they never choked a Doberman, and they don't
contain spider eggs, but rumors like these stopped their production in 1980. The technology to
lock carbon dioxide into a solid had been developed by William A. Mitchell in the 1950's and used
in an instant soda pellet in the 1960's, but this food used it to the fullest. For 10 points, identify
the candy which was popularly rumored to have killed of Mikey, the Life Cereal Kid.
18. Items such as "Beach Chair with Can Holder" for 140 and "Fila Mountain Bike with Bike
Bag" for 2,750 seemed harmless enough, but via the Internet, Delta Services successfully
collected the 700 million of these required, according to a 1996 commercial, to win a Harrier jet.
FTP identify this marketing tactic which backfired on a major soda manufacturer.
_PEPSI POINTS_ (prompt on: "Pepsi" or "points")
19. A pair of aliens, angered by the "stupid minds" of planet Earth, set up shop in a California
cemetary. Their plan to animate an army of the dead to march on the capitals of the world. Their
only opposition is an airline pilot, and having to shoot around the death of Bela Lugosi. For 10
points, identify this cult-classic of bad filmmaking by Ed Wood.
_Plan 9 from Outer Space_ or _Grave Robbers from Outer Space_.
20. Possibly the only soft drink that started sugar-free but had sugar added later, this beverage
was created by Coca-Cola in 1974. Its flavor has been described as anything from like Cherry
Coke to prune juice, but, FTP, name this soft drink that most people think tastes more like flat Dr.
21. Known for both his ability with a cello, and his seemingly infinite knowledge of jokes, he was
a frequent panelist on Can You Top This? in the 1950's. According to the Dead Milkmen he
could "make a sane man crazy" and "make a nice guy kill." For 10 points, identify this recently
deceased comedian who played Buddy Sorell on the Dick Van Dyke Show.
22. Seattle Reign, San Jose Lasers, Portland Power, Richmond Rage, New England Blizzard,
Columbus Quest, Atlanta Glory, and Colorado Xplosion. FTP, these are the 8 teams that make
up what professional sports league, whose players include Saudia Roundtree, Jennifer Rizotti, and
_AMERICAN BASKETBALL LEAGUE_ (accept: ABL)
23. Two answers required: In Spain they are Paseo del Prado, and Paseo de la Castellana. In
Germany, Schlossallee and Parkstrasse, in France, Rue de la Paix, and Avenue de Champs
Elysees, and in Britain, Mayfair and Park Lane. In America, they still cost only $750, exactly what
they cost in 1933. For 10 points, identify these two properties which form the dark blue group of
properties in Monopoly.
_Park Place_ and _Boardwalk_
24. She was discovered at an Annapolis gas station by the man who wrote Milli Vanilli's "Girl
You Know It's True". Arista Records signed her and her sisters in 1990 and their first single
flopped, but her voice caught the attention of Babyface, who needed a female solo act for his
new label. The single "Love Shoulda Brought You Home" paved the way for her smash,
self-titled 1993 debut album. FTP name this 28-year-old with such hits as "Breathe Again" and
"You're Makin' Me High".
25. He got the name because he was playing "Transfusion" by Nervous Norvus one day, and
someone commented on his sanity in playing that particular record. For twenty-five years plus
Barry Hansen has continued to play his off-beat brand of novelty records. FTP by what "sick"
nickname are Hansen, and his show, known?
26. An alarm clock, a green spray bottle of Mennen deodorant, a roll of pink toilet paper, a can of
fruit cocktail, a family size can of Spam, a bowie knife, a machete, several rifles and shotguns, 700
rounds of ammo. After murdering his wife and his mother, this was what he carried with him to
the top of the bell tower of the University of Texas at Austin, in the 1960's. For 10 points, identify
this snapped sniper, who managed to kill 13 people in 90 minutes.
27. Born in Buffalo with the original name of Weidenfeld, he appeared in numerous Disney
comedies and as Danny Thomas' agent on Make Room for Daddy. However he is best known for
a role which he created only to be succeeded by Gordon Jump. For 10 points, identify this man
who played the role of the Maytag repairman.
28. A Touch of Class, The Psychiatrist, The Builders, Communication Problems, Waldorf Salad,
The Wedding Party, Gourmet Night, The Germans, The Kipper and The Corpse, The
Anniversary, Basil The Rat, The Hotel Inspectors. For 10 points these are the twelve episodes of
what John Cleese series?
29. Giganta, Sinestro, the Scarecrow, Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Solomon Grundy, Toyman, Bizarro,
Black Manta, Cheetah, Riddler, Captain Cold, and Grodd. For ten points, name this group of 13
was in opposition to the Superfriends, but bear no relation to a line for the Philadelphia Flyers.
The _Legion of Doom_
UMBCBCBC I February 8, 1997
Joe, Dwight, and Co.
1. Three of the four ghosts in the Pac Man series of arcade games kept the same names
throughout the series. But the orange, or yellow ghost changed names throughout. For 10 points
each, give the name of the orange ghost in:
a. Pac Man
b. Ms. PacMan
c. Jr. Pac Man
2. On the Internet Movie Database, you can search by genre. One of the more unusual genres is
the "Inspired by a trading card set." Only two movies fit this category, one a 1986 movie, one a
recent Christmas release. For 15 points each, identify these two films.
The _Garbage Pail Kids_ Movie and _Mars Attacks!_
3. Given a random lyric from an '80s song, identify the song and artist for 5 points each.
a. Heading for the nineties living in the eighties screaming in a back room waiting for the big
_WILD WILD WEST_ by _ESCAPE CLUB_
b. Close your eyes, give me your hand, darling; Do you feel my heart beating, do you understand?
_Eternal Flame_ by the _Bangles_
c. Welcome to your life, there's no turning back. Even while we sleep, we will find you.
_Everybody Wants to Rule the World_ by _Tears for Fears_
4. An 11-year-old mystery has recently been solved by Dr. Park Dietz, a foresnic psychologist in
New York City.
a. First, for 5 points, what national news anchorman was accosted on the Upper East Side in 1986
by a man who believed that aliens were beaming messages to him through the nightly news?
b. FTP, what four words, shouted at Rather during this attack, became the most memorable part
of the incident?
_What's the frequency Kenneth? (Moderator: accept "What is the frequency?" which is what
Rather now claims to have heard)
c. For 15 points, name the man who was discovered to be the attacker after he was convicted of
shooting an NBC stagehand in 1994.
5. Only 1 person currently leads two NFL teams in career total points scored. FTP each, name
this player, who was AFC player of the year in his 21st NFL season, and the two teams for whom
he is the all-time leading scorer.
George _BLANDA_, Houston OILERS, Oakland RAIDERS (accept team cities or nicknames)
6. 30-20-10 Identify the liquid.
30. If you can't get all the ingredients, it can be approximated using Everclear, Bombay Sapphire,
Wild Turkey, tequila, rum, a worm and Gatorade.
20. In its proper form, it tastes like "getting hit in the head with a large gold brick wrapped in a
10. This most powerful drink in the universe figures prominently in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the
_Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster_
7. Answer these questions about Superbowl advertising, for 10 points each.
a. We may finally be rid of the annoying "I love you" man, after he was thrown to the gators by
what former player?
b. Try as we'd like to have Chris Elliot die in a freak bungee accident, he came back with a new
and equally unfunny ad, also starring what veteran comedian?
c. The busy signal was a jab at American Online, but what computer company was throwing the
8. Identify the three named actress from her film appearances, for ten points each.
a. Other People's Money, Chaplin, Carlito's Way
Penelope Ann _Miller_
b. Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Bastard Out of Carolina, The Hudsucker Proxy
Jennifer Jason _Leigh_
c. Footloose, The First Wives Club, Striking Distance
Sarah Jessica _Parker_
9. 30-20-10 name the character.
30. Possibly the hardest part of him to recreate are the one-and-one half Tupperware "Florier"
vases which make up his torso.
20. He once made on to the Internet thanks to the site known as "biteme.com"
10. With the departure of Trace Beaulieu from MST3K, he's now voiced by Bill Corbett.
_Crow T. Robot_
10. For 5 points each, name these actors from a list of shows they've starred in.
a. the miniseries "Winds of War", The Paper Chase
b. Fast Times, Picket Fences
c. It's Your Move, Simon, Valerie
d. In The House, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, a Pepsi commercial with Michael Jackson.
e. FTP more, all these actors had supporting roles on what other show?
11. In 1957 a bartender in San Juan came upon the idea of inventing a newly invented coconut
cream with rum, pineapple juice and ice.
a. For 5 points, what had he created?
b. FTP, The Pina Colada Song is the parenthetical title of what 1979 song?
c. For 15 points, for whom was Escape (The Pina Colada Song) a number one hit?
12. Donuts! Is there anything they can't do? Well they can certainly get you suspended in the
A. For 5 points, identify the New York Islanders coach ejected in January for uttering the phrase
"Have another donut," to a referee.
B. For 10 points, identify the referee to whom the remark was said.
C. Ironically, this was not the first time this was said to Koharski. During the 1988 playoffs, the
coach who opposed Milbury was suspended for saying the phrase "HAVE ANOTHER DONUT
YOU FAT PIG!" For 10 points name the coach, who on the night of Milbury's suspension was
coaching the other team.
D. For 5 points, though Schoenfeld now coaches the Capitals, in 1988 he was the coach of what
New Jersey _Devils_ (accept New Jersey)
13. Some baseball teams have had horrible luck at filling one particular position for an extended
period of time. Given a time period and a list of forgettable players, supply the position and team,
5 for one 15 for both.
a. 1983-89, U.L. Washington, Johnnie LeMaster, Rey Quinones, Sammy Khalifa, Bill Almon
Pittsburgh _Pirates_, _Shortstop_ (accept Pittsburgh for team)
b. 1974-present, Bill Madlock, Pat Tabler, Steve Buechele, Domingo Ramos, Keith Moreland
Chicago _Cubs_, _Third_ Baseman (Prompt on Chicago for team)
14. Answer these questions about Schoolhouse Rock for the stated number of points.
A. For 5, where would you get your adverbs?
B. For 10, He is the subject of my sentence, and what the predicate says, he does.
C. For 15, What was the sequel to Schoolhouse Rock, which dealt with computer technology?
_Scooter Computer and Mr. Chips_
15. 30 20 10. Identify the movie from quotes
30. Seven schools in seven states and the only thing different is my locker combination.
20. My dead son is gay! I love my dead gay son!
10. Whether or not a teenager decides to kill themselves is the biggest decision of their life.
16. For 10 points each, given the 1996 directorial debut of an actor, identify the actor.
a. Looking for Richard
b. Trees Lounge
c. Albino Alligator
17. One of our favorite top ten lists of all time is the list "Top 10 words which sound great when
spoken by James Earl Jones." For 5 points each, name any six words on this list. Speaking like
James Earl Jones is entirely optional.
Mellifluous, Verisimilitude, Guppy, Stolichnaya, Boutros-Boutros Ghali, Neo-Synephrine,
Pinhead, Mujibur and Sirajul, Heebie-Jeebies, Oprah.
18. Not content to be outshone by Steven King, another author embarked on his own six part
series in January, telling of the curious and horrific goings-on in a small town. For 10 points each,
give me the author of such books as The God Project and The Homing, the name of this new
series of books, and the name of the first book.
John _Saul_; An _Eye for An Eye: The Doll_; and The _Blackstone Chronicles_
19. Given some of the materials that came with an Infocom game, identify the game, For 15
a. A map of the catacombs, a 3d comic of "The Adventures of Lane Mastadon #1" complete with
glasses, and a scratch and sniff sheet.
_Leather Goddesses of Phobos_
b. Postcards from three planets, a stellar patrol recruitment brochure, and a special assignment
task force ID card.
20. 30-20-10, name the recording group from a list of members.
30: Genius, RZA
20: Ghost Face Killah, Shyheim
10: Raekwon, Ol' Dirty Bastard
21. "There's no crying in baseball!" Well at least until you got this bonus. For five points each, and
a five point bonus for all correct, identify the four teams that made up the charter membership of
the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League.
Rockford Peaches, Kenosha Comets, Racine Belles, South Bend Blue Sox (accept city or
Finally for an additional five points, identify the largest city to hold an AAGPBL team, hosting the
Colleens for the 1948 season.
22. Answer these questions about the comic strip "Mother Goose and Grimm" for ten points each.
a. First who draws the strip?
b. Next name the cat and foil to Grimm, also owned by Mother Goose.
c. Finally name the neighborhood cat whose most prominent features are its weight, and its
23. For 10 points each, identify the last song to hit #1 on the Billboard Pop Charts for each of the
a. Elvis Presley.
b. The Beach Boys
c. John Lennon
(Just Like) _Starting Over_
24. For ten points each, name the alternative band that recorded each of the following albums.
a. Evil Empire
_RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE_
b. Sixteen Stone
c. Last Splash
25. Beer commercials tend to throw around a lot of terms to make their processing sound unique.
FTP each identify these terms you might hear in such commercials.
a. This term means brewed with less malt, with more corn or rice sugars added during the brewing
process. The result is a more alcoholic beer that is cheaper to produce
b. This refers to the process of physically eliminating various sediments from beer before it is
bottled, making the beer clear and, many would say, bland.
c. This refers to beer that has not been pasteurized, meaning it will continue to age in the bottle.
26. Do you enjoy chili laced with Guatemalan Insanity Peppers? Then you'll enjoy this bonus.
a. First for ten points, describe the difference between Mexican style Chili and Texas Style.
Texas style uses cubes of meat, mexican style uses ground meat. (Accept equivalents)
b. For ten points, identify the city known for chili "five ways," chili, with beans, cheese and
onions on spaghetti.
c. For a final ten points, Cincinnati chili is different from most from the addition of both cocoa
and this spice to the mix.