Subject: Davis trash
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:16:19 -0700
From: email@example.com (Asmin Pathare)
To: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
----- Begin Included Message -----
>From firstname.lastname@example.org Fri Apr 4 09:47:17 1997
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 09:49:24 -0800
To: email@example.com (Asmin Pathare)
From: firstname.lastname@example.org (April Abbott)
Subject: Davis trash
This is what we've been able to come up with. Would it be possible to
merge this with some of those other questions you were going to use in the
case of teams who didn't write anything? We might be able to come up with
a few more in the car on the way down.
1.In the Simpsons "Bobo" episode, Mr. Burns and Smithers clung to Homer's
kitchen ceiling while Homer ate, FTP, how many slices of individually
wrapped processed American cheese?
2. "Hunky Dory", "Pinups," "Aladin Sane", "Low", "The Man Who Sold the
World," "Scary Monsters," and "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and
the Spiders from Mars" are all albums from, FTP, what now 50 year old
"ThinWhite Duke" from England who toured with Nine Inch Nails in 1995?
Answer: David _Bowie_
3. Pencil and paper ready: Take the number of members of ABBA, add the
number of Pet Shop Boys, and finnaly subtract the number of studio albums
put out by the Sex Pistols. FTP, what do you get.
Answer: _5 _(4+2-1)
4. FQTP What is Morrissey's real first name?
5. Everyone knows that Laura Palmer was killed in the fictional town of
Twin Peaks. Special Agent Dale Cooper was able to determine that BOB, the
spiritual killer was, FTP, the inhabitant of what real killer?
Answer: _Leland Palmer_ or _her father_
6. He got an early break playing Dennis/Denise, the transvestite DEA agent
on Twin Peaks. FTP, name this dashing co-star of Gillian Anderson on FOX's
highest rated sci-fi show.
Answer: _David Duchovney_
7. Libraries have problems with patrons stealing these ads from magazines
to collect them. FTP, name this vodka, whose ads show imaginative
renderings of the shape of the bottle in a variety of settings.
8. Moving to sports, sort of. He trained from childhood to play in the
NHL. Never drafted, he took a wide variety of jobs, including gas station
attendant, security guard, plumber, and construction worker. When his
grandmother's house was taken by the government as payment for 10 years of
back taxes, he took up golf to earn enough money to buy back the house.
FTP, name this Adam Sandler movie named after the main character.
Answer: _Happy Gilmore_
9. Maria de Medeiros, Rosanna Arquette, Amanda Plummer, Ving Rhames, Eric
Stoltz, Tim Roth, Christopher Walken, Harvey Keitel, Uma Thurman, Bruce
Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, John Travolta and Quentin Tarantino all star in
what 1994 winner of the Cannes Film Festival?
Answer: _Pulp Fiction_
10. Cougar was number one. Cougar couldn't handle it and turned in his
wings. Now Maverick is number one. FTP give the fighter pilots' name for
Miramar Flight School.
Answer: _Top Gun_
11. He was raised by his aunt and uncle on a planet farthest from the
bright center of the galaxy. He craved adventure and excitement, and
wanted to submit his application to the Academy this year, before the
harvest when his Uncle needs him most. FTP name this hero of the Rebellion
played by Mark Hamill in Star Wars.
Answer: _Star Wars_
12. Nobody in this group wanted to move away from their childhood home of
Astoria. Their parents had to sell their houses, so these kids decided to
act and go after the treasure of One Eyed Willie. FTP, name this mid 80s
childhood adventure with such memorable characters as Chunk, Sloth, and
Answer: The _Goonies_
13. It's not really Vegas, but the costumes and lights might make you think
it is. Oddly enough, this group performs Celtic dance and music. FTP,
name this show led by former member of Riverdance, Michael Flatley.
Answer _Lord of the Dance_
14. Comic books aren't just for kids anymore. Such titles as Sandman,
Hellblazer, Shade, the Changing Man, Black Orchid, and the Dreaming are,
FTP, part of what line of DC comics suggested for mature readers?
15. The Paul Bunyan statue seen in the movie version of this town can't
hold a candle to the one they really have. This large animated man can
move his arm and roll his eyes, and speaks to kids as they enter the Paul
Bunyan Amusement Park in FTP, what central Minnesota town which figured
prominently in the movie Fargo?
16. Because of this large animal's inefficient digestive system plants come
out looking not much different than they did going in. Because of this,
the dung can be used for papermaking. FTP, name this mammal, whose tusks
are a source for ivory.
1. For thirty points all or nothing, name the Simpsons' cat and dog.
Answer: _Santa's Little Helper_ and _Snowball_
2. In Neil Gaiman's Sandman comic books, Dream has six siblings
collectively known as The Endless. Name them for five points each.
Answer: _Death_, _Destruction_, _Delirium_, _Despair_, _Destiny_, _Desire_
3. Quentin Tarantino has received critical acclaim for his film direction,
despite the fact that he's only directed two full length motion pictures,
Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. But he's also an actor and screen writer.
FTP each, answer the following questions about Tarantino's other work.
1. Name the Margaret Chow TV show where he satirized the 50s diner scene in
Pulp Fiction with a 70s disco scene.
Answer: _All American Girl_
2. Name the script he wrote, which Oliver Stone directed, about the press's
glorification of a cross country murder spree by Mickey and Malorie.
Answer: Natural Born Killers_
3. Name this nuclear submarine drama that Tarantino spiced up with
references to Star Trek, Silver Surfer, and other comic book super heroes.
Answer: _Crimson Tide_
4. Name the Kevin Bacon movie, given the setting and a list of actors, for
the stated number of points.
1. 5 points. Bill Paxton, Gary Sinise and Tom Hanks - space
Answer: _Apollo 13_
2. 10 points. Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, and Demi Moore - court room
Answer: _A Few Good Men_
3. 15 points. Fred Ward, Michael Gross, and Helen Shaver - desert
5. Here are the obligatory Star Trek questions:
1. Everyone knows Kirk and Picard, but can you name the captains on Deep
Space 9 and Voyager? 5 points each.
Answers: Benjamin _Sisko_ and Katherine _Janeway_
2. Again, we all know Spock and Riker, but who are Sisko's and Janeway's
first mates? 5 points each.
Answers: _Dax_ and _Chakotay_
3. And of course the doctors were Bones and Crusher; now name them for Deep
Space 9 and Voyager.
Answers: _Bashear_ and the _"Doctor"_ or Emergency Medical _Hologram_
6. Given a list of songs, give the name of the album FTP. Five points if
you also need the name of the artist.
1. All We Ever Look For, Egypt, Babooshka
Artist: Kate Bush
Answer: _Never For Ever_
2. In The Eye, Luka, Tom's Diner
Artist: Suzanne Vega
Answer: _Solitude Standing_
3. Winter, Me and a Gun, Crucify
Artist: Tori Amos
Answer: _Little Earthquakes_
7. In Mystery Science Theater 3000, the human silhouette in the front was
sometimes Joel and sometimes Mike, however the two robots were consistent.
Name them for 10 points each.
Answers: _Crow_ and _Tom Servo_
There's one other robot on the ship who doesn't get to join them for the
movies Name her for another 10 points.
8. Given the ingredients of a mixed drink, name the drink FTP each.
1. Gin and dry vermouth
2. Rum, lime juice and sugar
3. Tequila, lime or lemon juice, and orange-flavored liqueur
9. Given song lyrics, name the band 30-20-10
1. Once a year, my friend puts on a red suit.
2. He wants a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.
3. I returned a bag of groceries accidentally taken off the shelf before
the expiration date.
Answer: _They Might Be Giants_
10. How's your sense of humor? According to medieval theories, excesses of
certain bodily fluids would affect a person's temperament. Given the
personality, name the fluid associated with it FTP each.
1. Sanguine - ecstatic, highly loving
2. Choleric - obstinate, filled with rage
Answer: _yellow bile_
3. Melancholic - gloomy, brooding
Answer: _black bile_
11. Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Trilogy actually contains five books. Name
them, for five points each and a five point bonus for all five.
Answers: _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_, _The Restaurant at the End
of the Universe_, _Life, the Universe and Everything_, _So Long, and Thanks
for All the Fish_, _Mostly Harmless_
----- End Included Message -----