1. Washington has a major league baseball team once again. Answer these
questions about the good ol� days of the Washington Senators, for the stated number of points.
- For five points each, the two incarnations of the Washington Senators would become
these two current American League franchises.
Answer: Minnesota Twins, Texas Rangers
- The two incarnations of the Senators won a combined one World
Series title. Ten points if exact and five points within five years, in
what year did the Senators win the World Series?
Answer: 1924 (1919-1929)
- For ten points, before becoming manager of the Miracle Mets in 1968, this man
served as skipper of the second incarnation of the Senators from
Answer: Gil Hodges
2. For ten points each, given lyrics from an ass-sucking country song about how great America is, name the act that made it a hit. If you need the song title, you'll get five.
- (10) "My daddy served in the army / Where he lost his right eye / But he flew a flag out in our yard / Until the day that he died."
(5) "Courtesy of the Red White and Blue"
Answer: Toby Keith
- (10) "I don't want to die for you / but if dyin's asked of me / I'll bear that cross with honor / 'cause freedom don't come free."
(5) "American Soldier"
Answer: Toby Keith
- (10) "They took all the footage off my T.V. / Said it's too disturbing for you and me / It'll just breed anger that's what the experts say / If it was up to me I'd show it every day."
(5) "Have you Forgotten"
Answer: Darryl Worley
3. For ten points each, name these well-known actors who would serve as tormentors of the Brady Bunch.
- This famous castaway played prospector Zaccariah, who imprisoned the Brady boys during a trip to an Old West town en route to the Grand Canyon.
Answer: Jim Backus
- This veteran frightster played Professor Whitehead, a crazy archeologist who imprisoned the Brady boys for stealing the infamous Tiki statue while in Hawaii.
Answer: Vincent Price
- Better known as Uncle Fester, this actor played Mr. Duggan, who sued the Bradys for imaginary injuries suffered in a fender-bender in a parking lot.
Answer: Jackie Coogan
4. Given a year and location for its first location, name the fast food burger joint, for the stated number of points.
- (5) 1948 in San Bernadino, California.
- (10) 1921 in Wichita, Kansas.
Answer: White Castle
- (15) 1950 in Corpus Christi, Texas.
5. Given the "material previously produced or published," name the 2005 or 2004 Best Adapted Screenplay nominee, for ten points each.
- The novel of the same name by Rex Pickett.
- Based on characters created by Kim Krizian and Richard Linklater.
Answer: Before Sunset
- the novel of the same name by Dennis Lehane.
Answer: Mystic River
6. Peyton Manning tossed a lot of touchdown passes in 2004. A record
number, in fact. Identify these targets of Manning touchdown passes in
2004, for ten points each.
- A 1996 graduate of Syracuse, this wide receiver caught at least 100
passes a year between 1999 and 2002, including a league-record 143 in
Answer: Marvin Harrison
- This receiver caught the only touchdown reception of Super Bowl 35,
with a 38-yard catch for the Baltimore Ravens.
Answer: Brandon Stokley
- This tight end and University of Iowa player was a first-round pick
for the Colts in the 2003 NFL draft.
Answer: Dallas Clark
7. Sometimes it�s all about Craig T. Nelson. Answer these questions about Nelson�s TV work, for ten points each.
- This CBS police drama saw Nelson play Washington police chief Jack Mannion.
Answer: The District
- On Coach, Nelson played this coach of the Minnesota State University Screaming Eagles football team.
Answer: Hayden Fox
- A highly-hyped but notorious flop of the 1984-85 season, this ABC drama featured Nelson as an Air Force colonel living in the backdrop of the Cold War of the early 1960s.
Answer: Call to Glory
8. For ten points each, answer these questions about the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee.
- Perhaps the best known alum of UW-Milwaukee is this graduate of Milwaukee's Jefferson High, who did an Army hitch in Greenland before returning home to become a reporter.
Answer: Richie Cunningham
- On Happy Days, UW-Milwaukee seemed to use the red and white used by the flagship campus in Madison rather than, for five points each, these two current school colors.
Answer: black, gold
- There was some irony in UW-Milwaukee's second round win over Boston College last month as the Panthers' then-head coach is this BC alum.
Answer: Bruce Pearl
9. Not every sci-fi book is set in the ruins of future Earth. For ten points each, given
names of planets or other fantasy locales, name the authors who created
them. If you need book titles, you'll get five.
- (10) Ankh Morpork, Klatch, Bad Ass
(5) Mort, Wyrd Sisters, The Light Fantastic.
Answer: Terry Pratchett
- (10) Klah, Perv and Deva
(5) Little Myth Marker, Myth Inc. Linc.
Answer: Robert Lynn Asperin
- (10) Roke Island, Gont, Enlad
(5) A Wizard of Earthsea, The Farthest Shore.
Answer: Ursula K. Le Guin
10. For ten points each, name these video games that appeal to a prurient interest:
- In the latest installment of this series, subtitled "Magna Cum Laude," the titular fashion plate character chases after college girls.
Answer: Leisure Suit Larry
- This Konami title is the first all-female wrestling game and includes skimpy attire and a mud-wrestling mode.
Answer: Rumble Roses
- Eidos claims that this adult-only title is a "3-D relationship simulator," but it's really just The Sims with full-frontal nudity and sex.
Answer: Singles: Flirt Up Your Life
11. For ten points each, name the '90s one-hit wonders from songs:
- "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money in My Hand"
Answer: Primitive Radio Gods
- "River of Deceit"
Answer: Mad Season
- "All the Way from Memphis"
12. (AUDIO) Given a clip of dialogue, identify the Coen brothers film, for ten points each.
- Clip 3
Answer: Raising Arizona
- Clip 4
- Clip 5
Answer: The Big Lebowski
13. Created by Dull Co., among the three models offered is The Wuss, a sweater over the shoulder wearer who is a nebbish in person, but becomes Stud4U online. For ten points each:
- Name this line of dull dolls for men who don't take risks.
Answer: In-Action Heroes
- Name either of the other In-Action Heroes, one each for the home and office.
Answer: Mama's Boy or The Suck Up
- The In-Action Heroes is actually an advertising campaign for this anti-perspirant whose Extreme Blast and Cool Rush fragrances are made for men who take risks.
14. For ten points each, given a year, the artist and some tracks, identify the work that was atop Billboard's album chart on this day in:
- 1975, featuring "Custard Pie", "Houses of the Holy," and "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin.
Answer: Physical Graffiti
- 1985, featuring "One More Night," "Don't Lose My Number," and "Sussudio" by Phil Collins.
Answer: No Jacket Required
- 1995, featuring "If I Die Tonight," "Death Around the Corner", and "Dear Mama" by 2Pac.
Answer: Me Against the World
15. Given a rapper, identify the NBA team in which he owns a stake, for ten points each.
If you need players from the 2004-05 season, you'll get five.
- (10) Jay-Z
(5) Nenad Krstic, Zoran Planinic, Ron Mercer, Jason Collins
Answer: New Jersey Nets
- (10) Usher
(5) Ira Newble, DeSagana Diop, Eric Snow, Robert Traylor
Answer: Cleveland Cavaliers
- (10) Nelly
(5) Primo Brezec, Kareem Rush, Gerald Wallace, Keith Bogans
Answer: Charlotte Bobcats
16. Given the name of the skip and their finish, name the countries
represented in the recently-concluded Women's World Curling Championships, ten points each. NOTE: Moderators should not give answers after each part.
- Dordi Nordby, 3rd
- Jennifer Jones, 4th
- Anette Norberg, 1st
17. Given information about a fictional film, identify the real movie in which it appears for ten points each. If you need more info about the real movie, you'll get five.
- (10) To Serve and Protect, starring Cameron Drake as a gay soldier.
(5) Upon winning an Oscar for the film, Drake thanks his gay English teacher, who may or may not be gay.
Answer: In and Out
- (10) The Old Mill, starring Bob Barrenger and Claire Wellesley, directed by Walt Price.
(5) Barrenger, Wellesley, Price and the rest of the crew invade a small Vermont town to make the film.
Answer: State and Main
- (10) Chubby Rain, starring Kit Ramsey.
(5) Steve Martin plays the titular hack director who shoots the film unbeknownst to Ramsey.
18. Famous people have more interesting lives than the rest of us. Or so the
following books would suggest. Given titles of recent biographies, identify
the celebrity subjects, for ten points each.
- No Lifeguard on Duty: The Accidental Life of the World's First
Answer: Janice Dickenson
- Taking Heat : The President, the Press, and My Years in the White
Answer: Ari Fleischer
- I'm Still Hungry: Finding Myself Through Thick and Thin
Answer: Carnie Wilson
19. For the stated number of points, answer these related questions.
- (10) After accidentally confessing to committing a crime, Homer Simpson is told he has the right to remain this while being offered to buy a t-shirt or other clothing items from the Springfield Police Department web site.
- (5) "Armed and Fabulous" is the subtitle to this 2005 film in which Sandra Bullock reprises her role as FBI agent Gracie Hart.
Answer: Miss Congeniality 2
- (15) This Argentine band is best known for their song "Matador," a bonus track on their 1995 greatest hits album Vasos Vacios that also appeared on the Grosse Point Blank soundtrack.
Answer: Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
20. For ten points each, answer these questions about the ultimate reality striking reality TV.
- Just weeks before this NBC show debuted in spring 2005, contestant Najai Turpin committed suicide.
Answer: The Contender
- Firefighter Angel Juarbe died at the World Trade Center on 9/11, just weeks after winning this Fox reality show.
Answer: Murder in Small Town X
- Midway during production of this 2004 Discovery Channel reality show set in Las Vegas, 33-year-old Michael Tata, VP of operations for the Green Valley Ranch Station, died of a painkiller overdose.
Answer: American Casino
21. The career of Jerry Orbach, for ten points each.
- Orbach won a Tony Award in 1976 for originating the role of Billy Flynn in this musical.
- What character did Orbach voice in Disney's 1991 adaptation of Beauty and the Beast?
- Orbach played Richard Pryor's minor-league baseball manager in this 1985 comedy, about Pryor receiving a huge spending challenge in order to
receive a giant inheritance.
Answer: Brewster's Millions
22. For ten points each, name these magical books:
- The Constitution of Honorius allegedly by Pope Honorius III and The Key of Solomon the King are examples of these magical manuals.
- Perhaps the most famous grimoire, it was supposedly first published in Arabic under the title Al Azif by Abdul Alhazred.
- The Domincan monks Heinrich Kramer and Johan Sprenger wrote this Latin book that describes demons and the methods of finding witches.
Answer: Malleus Maleficarum or Witches' Hammer