- The German philosopher Hegel wrote about a dialectic method whereby
a thesis and its antithesis would clash, thereby producing a new thesis
with its own antithesis, and so forth. Answer these questions about Miller
- Miller's classic dialectic of "less filling" vs. "tastes great" has
apparently been resolved in favor of "tastes great", as the new ads
discuss the nature of tasting great. For 5 points each, what two concepts are
posited as to why Miller Lite tastes great.
Answer: CHOICE HOPS and because it's SMOOTH
- These two poles are personified in one commercial by, for 5 points each, what
two retired relief pitchers whose differences also extend to their dart
and beer receptacle preferences.
Answer: Lee SMITH and Mitch "Wild Thing" WILLIAMS
- for 5 points each identify the Sports Illustrated swimsuit model and sports-
writer who argue over who sells more magazines, and of course about Miller
Lite as well.
Answer: Rick REILLY and Rebecca ROMIJN-Stamos (Ro-MAIN)
- 40-30-20-10, name the item.
-  Name it now
-  In April 1999, Hans Kupperfahrenberg returned to
Tilly-La-Compagne 54 years after stealing one of these to make amends,
which he did by giving the woman he stole the original from a German one
and a French one.
-  This was the entree at the dinner party thrown by Marge Simpson
at which Louann and Kirk Van Houten ended their marriage.
-  David Letterman is facinated with these. He gave away canned
ones to audience members for years, and his ficticious Big Ass company has this
meat product in its name.
- Some guys never score -- especially when they're goalies in
the NHL. Recently, Ottawa's Damian Rhodes was credited with a goal the other team
themselves during a delayed penalty. For ten points each, identify the three active NHL
goalies who've scored the old-fashioned way, by actually shooting the
an empty net.
Answer: Ron HEXTALL, Chris OSGOOD, Martin BRODEUR
- Name the X-Files character from info for ten points each.
- Once the head of The Syndicate, he considered Alex Krycek an enemy,
especially after Krycek mistakenly killed Melissa rather than Dana Scully. In the movie, he is killed when his car explodes.
Answer: WELL MANICURED MAN
- He replaced Deep Throat as Mulder and Scully's information contact,
though he was controlled by the Cigarette Smoking Man. A long-time
government worker, the Smoking Man had the Grey Haired Man kill him when
he tried to use his position to his personal benefit.
- He originally assigned Scully to work with Mulder on the X-Files,
under the orders of the Cigarette Smoking Man. He was eventually killed,
due to his connection with Roush Technologies.
Answer: Scott BLEVINS
- Given some bands, name the city, American or otherwise, they came
from, for 10 points each. For instance, given Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Nirvana,
you would respond ≥Seattle.≤
- The Trashmen; Lipps, Inc.; Semisonic; The Replacements
Answer: MINNEAPOLIS, Minn.
- Def Leppard, the Human League
Answer: SHEFFIELD, England
- Del Amitri, The Soup Dragons
Answer: GLASGOW, Scotland
- Given an A&E original program, name its host for ten points each.
- L. A. Detectives
Answer: Bill KURTIS
- Investigative Reports
Answer: Bill KURTIS
- The New Explorers
Answer: Bill KURTIS
- Dave Matthews is everyone's favorite South African pop star. Answer
these Dave questions for fifteen points each.
- He's just released a new live album without his band. Give its
Answer: LIVE AT LUTHER COLLEGE
- On Live at Luther College, he's accompanied by a long-time friend
and collaborator. For 15 points, name him.
Answer: Tim REYNOLDS
- (AUDIO) 40-30-20-10-1 Name the entertainer
-  Name him right now
-  (AUDIO) He's the singer and writer of the following game show
-  Behind the camera, he was head writer and producer for the
controversial comedies Fernwood 2-Night and America 2-Night in the
-  The host of the short-lived game show Pictionary, he played
Jason Seaver on Growing Pains.
-  He briefly starred on his own talk show, "Thicke of the Night" (Moderator: if they still look puzzled, spell "Thicke" for them)
Answer: Alan THICKE
- Only two placekickers have ever made it to the Super Bowl
different teams. For 15 points each, name them. You'll get 10 points if you need
the Super Bowls they kicked in, and 5 points if you need the teams.
- (10) 14 and 25, and 15 and 20
(5) Steelers and Giants, and Eagles and Patriots
Answer: Matt BAHR and Tony FRANKLIN
(Moderator note: If they get one right on the 15 or 10, they get those
points, and continue with the other.)
- Corey Feldman, Corey Haim, both or neither. Given a movie, tell me
if it starred Corey Feldman, Corey Haim, both, or neither for 5 points each.
- National Lampoon's Last Resort
- Fast Getaway
- Demolition High
- Round Trip to Heaven
- Snowboard Academy
- South Beach Academy
- Have some recent TV ads been giving you pause? You know that person
in the ad, but what's his or her name? Given a description of the
commercial, name the actor or actress for 15 points each. If you need another role,
you'll only receive five points.
-  In a Bud Light spot, this actor discovers a discreet cabal of
husbands watching football and drinking beer under a rack of dresses
while their wives shop.  He plays Jack on Will and Grace.
Answer: Sean HAYES
-  On a snowy landscape, he gets out of a Jeep and knocks on
Santa's door to protest a broken toy.  He plays the young Anakin Skywalker in the upcoming Star Wars: Episode
One - The Phantom Menace.
Answer: Jake LLOYD
- Name these films directed by the world's worst director, Alan Smithee,
for the stated number of points.
- (5) Martin Brest removed his name as director of this 1992 film,
which won Al Pacino his only Academy Award, from a heavily edited version
shown on airlines.
Answer: SCENT OF A WOMAN
- (10) Jon Cryer is a boarding school student who returns to try
to change the way of his obnoxious, politically ambitious parents, in
this 1987 comedy.
Answer: MORGAN STEWART'S COMING HOME
- (15) An unemployed Mexican-American, played by Cheech Marin, tries
his luck at job hunting in Australia in this 1990 alleged comedy.
Answer: The SHRIMP ON THE BARBIE
- As the NBA lockout delayed the start of the regular season for the
first time ever, celebrities were forced to feed their basketball joneses
in the strangest of places, thanks to a series of ads by Nike. Given the
site, name the celebrity who said it was FAN-tastic for ten points each.
- Eighth-grade girl's basketball at St. Ignatius Junior High.
Answer: Spike LEE,
- With Spike Lee, a game of Pop-O-Shot at O'Brien's Pub.
Answer: Jackie CHAN,
- The over-40 parks and rec league at Temple City.
Answer: Dyan CANNON
- Given a catch-phrase from ESPN's SportsCenter, finish it for ten points each.
- Can I get a witness from the...
- He's listed as day to day, but then again...
Answer: AREN'T WE ALL
- It's a 6-4-3 double play if you're scoring at home. If not, ...
Answer: TRY FLOWERS
- Reaching 100 points in an NHL season is quite a feat--unless you're
one of the two men who occupy every slot on the Top 10 list for fewest
games in a season to reach 100 points. For five points each, name these
two active players and, for an additional ten points each, name the two
men who tie for 11th place, each reaching 100 points in just 48 games.
Answer: 5 PTS. Wayne GRETZKY and Mario LEMIEUX
10 PTS: Jari KURRI and Bernie NICHOLLS
- Being good quiz-bowl citizens, TRASH wants to do its share for the
lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered community. For the stated
number of points, identify these songs or singers on gay themes.
- for 5 points, this 1957 song is generally recognized as the first of the
era to directly mention a homosexual relationship, in this case
number 47 and number 3.
Answer: JAILHOUSE ROCK
- for ten points, the first explicitly gender-bending classic rock song was
this 1970 hit for The Kinks, their only hit of that decade.
- for 15 points, this singer provided perhaps the least-veiled popular song
about homosexuality to date with her 1995 hit "I Kissed A Girl".
Answer: Jill SOBULE
- Name these American soccer stars playing abroad for ten points each.
- This goalkeeper started two of the three U-S games at World
Cup 1998, and currently mans the nets for Leicester City in Englandís
Answer: Kasey KELLER
- This 22-year-old played for five seasons with the youth and
reserve teams for Manchester United, and signed with German powerhouse
Borussia Dortmund in 1996. He scored the first goal in Americaís 3-0
victory over Germany in a 1999 friendly.
Answer: Jovan KIROVSKI
- This former St. Benedictís Prep and Virginia standout was
named captain of Wolfsburg of the German First Division in August 1998.
Answer: Claudio REYNA
- 40-30-20-10-1 Name the TV show
-  Name it right now.
-  When describing this show's creation to a California magazine,
Brandon Tartikoff said it was based on a proposal called The Man of Six
Words. It would begin with the guy getting out of a woman's bed, saying
"thank you." Then he'd chase the bad guys and say "Freeze." Then the
almost-victims would thank him and he'd say "You're welcome." End of
-  Debuting on September 26, 1982 with a two-hour movie, this
Sunday night staple on NBC was the 25th ranked show of the 1983-84
season. Leaving the air for good in 1986, it spawned a 1991 reunion movie
and a 1997 spinoff show.
-  Stars of this series included Edward Mulhare, Patricia
McPherson, and the voice of William Daniels.
-  A much less successful take-off on it was Knight Rider 2000.
Answer: KNIGHT RIDER
- Is this a classic rock bonus, man? Yeah, man! Well, let's see if
can turn it up. Given lines from a classic of classic rock, name the
- (5) No one here gets out alive/ Now you'll get yours, baby/ And
get mine/ Gonna make it baby, if we try.
Answer: FIVE TO ONE
- (10) Last night I tried to tease her/ I gave my love a little
she said "Now stop that jivin'."
Answer: BIG TEN INCH RECORD
- (15) He-man drag in the glittering ballroom/ greyly outrageous in
high-heeled shoes/ tightly undone, know what they're showing.
- 40-30-20-10, name the hockey team.
- 40: Name them now.
- 30: They share the record for most penalty minutes in a
single game, 406, with the Boston Bruins for a 1981 brawl/game they won
- 20: Between 1988-90, Mike Gartner recorded 2 30+ goal
seasons with this team.
- 10: In the days of the WHL, the Fighting Saints were
their cross-town rivals.
Answer: MINNESOTA NORTH STARS (for the 40 & 30 point clues only,
accept DALLAS STARS, as teams carry their old records to new cities)