- The Roots are taking hold in the world of hip hop. Prove you're
with all that and answer questions about their latest album for ten points each.
- Their new album takes its title from a poem by Yeats and a book
by Chinua Achebe. For ten points, name it.
Answer: Things Fall Apart
- The album features samples from a Spike Lee movie. Name the
Answer: Mo' Better Blues
- The album contains a love song called "You Got Me." for ten points, name
the guest artist featured on this song whose last album was
members of The Roots.
Answer: Erykah Badu
- Given their role in the SCTV hierarchy, name the character for ten points each.
- Wheelchair bound for sympathy rather than any problem, he is the owner
Answer: GUY CABALLERO
- His film series, including the House of Cats and 3-D House of
Stewardesses, were mainstays of his Monster Chiller Horror Theater.
Answer: DR. TONGUE
- A cross-eyed albino nightclub singer, he wrote a memoir of his father,
whose name he shares, entitled Damn You, Daddy, Sir.
Answer: JACKIE RODGERS, JR.
- Three basketball players have played on teams that won two
consecutive NCAA Division One championships and two consecutive NBA
championships? for ten points each, name them.
Answer: Bill RUSSELL, K.C. JONES, Kareem ABDUL-JABBAR
- 30-20-10-1, name the film.
- (30) It's based on Ray Faraday Nelson's 8-page short story, "Eight
O'Clock In The Morning."
- (20) This 1988 film stars Meg Foster, Keith David, and the
actor/sports figure born Roderick Toombs.
- (10) Toombs, better known as Rowdy Roddy Piper, utters the immortal
line "I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of
bubble gum," as he fights undercover alien invaders.
- (1) Its alternate title is "John Carpenter's They Live."
Answer: THEY LIVE
B: Name the friends of Bill -- Bill the Cat that is -- for ten points each.
- Bill dated this conservative and Reagan appointee to the UN, but only
to get secrets from her he could give to the Soviets.
Answer: Jeanne KIRKPATRICK
- Bill served as the repository for this man's brain towards the end of
Answer: Donald TRUMP
- In 1972, he spent a fair amount of time smoking banana peels with
Tipper Gore and this man, then Harvard Law professor, later rejected
Supreme Court nominee due to his admitted past use of marijuana.
Answer: Douglas GINSBURG
- Name the member of the 4077th based on their involvement in some sort
of prank or spoof for ten points each.
- This officer was the butt of numerous foxhole pranks, including
jumping into a foxhole full of water and getting trapped in a foxhole by
having a jeep park over it.
Answer: FRANK or BURNS
- This character was victim to an April Fool's anti-prank, whereby
everyone pretended to get got in order to drive this person to absurd
lengths to avoid being fooled.
Answer: HAWKEYE or Benjamin Franklin PIERCE
- A prank played on the entire outfit, he was a figment of Hawkeye and
Trapper's imagination. This fake doctor, a graduate of Berliner
Polytechnische, was described by Henry Blake as "the best damn OD we ever
Answer: Captain John TUTTLE
- 30-20-10, name the Bluesman
-  His Albums include Some Rainy Morning and False Accusations
-  - In 1986, he became the first blues guitarist to crack the top
twenty since Bobby Blue Bland in 1972.
-  His most famous album, Strong Pursuader, included hits like
Smoking Gun, and won him a Grammy.
Answer: Robert CRAY
- for ten points each, name these TV shows about talk radio people who aren't Frasier Crane.
- Out of the many, many crappy shows McLean Stevenson appeared in
post-MASH, this was his least crappy. In it, he played a divorced
Portland, Oregon, talk radio host dealing with two teenaged daughters.
Answer: HELLO, LARRY
- This early 1990s NBC series followed Jack Killian, former San
Francisco cop, in his exploits as he became personally involved in the
porblems of his listeners.
Answer: MIDNIGHT CALLER
- Based on NPR's Car Talk, this short-lived 1995 sitcom followed
Madison, Wisconsin residents George and Dan Coleman as they fixed cars,
spatted, and rarely used the broadcast booth located in their garage.
Answer: The GEORGE WENDT SHOW
- 40-30-20-10, identify the baseball player given some of his
- (40) Name him now.
- (30)--Along with Ty Cobb and Honus Wagner, he is one of 3
3,000 hits, 600 doubles, and 500 steals. He also holds the American
record for most stolen bases in a season without getting caught.
- (20)--He is the only player in history with 5 hits in one
game, and he is the only man since 1930 to have a 200-hit season after
the age of 40.
- (10)--He was World Series MVP in 1993 and compiled 3,319 hits
Milwaukee, Toronto, and Minnesota before retiring last December.
Answer: Paul MOLITOR
- Here¹s to the Ross Perots of the music biz, the RC Colas, the
Wendy¹s restaurants -- the Number-Threes. None of these artists got
higher than Number 3 on the Billboard singles charts. Identify the
songs that got them there.
- This 1975 Hot Chocolate song enjoyed some new attention a few
years ago with its use in Burger King ads and in The Full Monty.
Answer: YOU SEXY THING
- Frank Mills hit Number 3 in 1979 with this piano-based
Answer: MUSIC BOX DANCER
- While they charted again in 1982 and 1983, Quarterflash¹s
biggest chart success was this 1981 song.
Answer: HARDEN MY HEART
- Answer these questions about ABC's Nightline for ten points each.
- Nightline came out of special reports on the Iran hostage crisis. They
were hosted, until November 29, 1979, by what ABC news anchor, who took
that night off for his birthday only to be replaced for good by Ted
Answer: Frank REYNOLDS
- What LA Dodgers executive lost his job after appearing on Nightline
and offering his own rather deleterious thoughts on why there are few
African-Americans in baseball front ofices?
Answer: Al CAMPANIS
- Koppel cancelled the 15th anniversary party for the show in order to
properly cover the assassination of what world leader?
Answer: Yitzak RABIN
- Identify the soap from its recent plot for ten points each.
- Adam and Jake both want to be Liza's baby's father; Erica knows avout
David's evil plans.
Answer: ALL MY CHILDREN
- Reva, Josh and David learn Vicki erased their evidence tape; Vanessa
wants to divorce Matt.
Answer: GUIDING LIGHT
- Julia has a pill problem; Emily has a baby while locked in her cell;
Carly snoops into Reid's past.
Answer: AS THE WORLD TURNS
- This is our homage to the CBI multicultural token question. Identify these heroic African-American pioneers in the field of professional wrestling.
- for 5 points, the first African-American WWF world champion is this
proclaimed "most electrifying man in sports entertainment."
Answer: Rocky MAIVIA or THE ROCK
- for 5 points, though wallowed in WWF obscurity, the first WCW
world champ was this former Florida State football legend.
Answer: Ron SIMMONS or FAAROOQ
- The Rock is the son of one-half of the first all
tag team champions. For ten points each, identify both The Rock's father and his tag
team partner, who wrestled late in his career as Saba Simba.
Answer: Rocky JOHNSON and Tony ATLAS
- They weren't stellar or even heavenly, but for ten points identify these movies
whose titles come from outer space.
- Sisters Regina and Samantha Belmont fight mutants, a shady
organization who want to use their blood, and horrendous '80s music and
fashion the day after a celestial event wipes out just about everyone in
Answer: NIGHT OF THE COMET
- In the course of delivering a rare bottle of wine for an auction,
Margaret Harwood and bodyguard Oliver Plexico fight off various thug types
who want the bottle for themselves in this 1992 film.
Answer: YEAR OF THE COMET
- Timid schoolteacher Jefferson Reed gets hit on the head with a chunk
of space debris and becomes the title character of this 1993 film, whose
figurines where a prize at last year's TRASHionals.
Answer: METEOR MAN
- The Academy Awards are over, but think back to February when the
nominations came out for this question. 5-10-15, name the person who got
stiffed from clues.
- for 5 points, he did not join Peter Weir or Ed Harris in getting nominations
even though he played the title character in The Truman Show.
Answer: Jim CARREY
- for ten points, Ian Bannen, David Kelly, and Fionnula Flanagan were shut out-
along with everyone else connected with this lottery comedy- proving that
The Full Monty effect couldn't cross the Irish Sea.
Answer: WAKING NED DEVINE
- for 15 points, he helmed Elizabeth to best picture nod, but he was the lone
director not to get a best director nod for a nominated film.
Answer: Shekhar KAPUR
- Identify these John Woo movies for ten points each.
- Woo's American directorial debut was this 1993 film, starring
Jean-Claude Van Damme as a Cajun merchant seaman who comes to the rescue
of Yancy Butler through a lot of violence.
Answer: HARD TARGET
- Chow Yun-Fat is a gangster gunman who wants out in this 1990 film. He's hired by his best friend to perform one last murder, but it doesn't
go as smoothly as planned.
Answer: THE KILLER
- An Air Force pilot, played by John Travolta, steals a couple of
nuclear warheads, and its up to Christian Slater and Samanth Mathis to
find them in this 1995 Woo actioner.
Answer: BROKEN ARROW
- Time for some tough Barbie trivia? Answer these questions about
the Barbie doll FSTNOP.
- (20) Barbie was named for its designer's daughter. As a result, the
doll has a middle and last name. For ten points each, give me both names.
Answer: MILLICENT ROBERTS
- (10) According to Mattel, Barbie is a graduate of Willows High School
in Willows in, for ten points, what state?
- Spring may mean flowers and sunshine to some, but for TV execs, it
means that it's time to replace crappy failed shows with crappy new shows
bound to fail. For ten points each, given cast members, name the mid-season replacement
- Chris Eigeman, Jennifer Grey
Answer: IT'S LIKE YOU KNOW
- Azura Skye, David Moskow, Michael Rosenberg, Selma Blair
Answer: ZOE, DUNCAN, JACK AND JANE
- William Devane, Matthew Armstrong, Sarah Trigger
- Answer these questions about the work of Mojo Nixon, for 10 points each:
- In Mojo Nixon¹s video, ³Debbie Gibson is Pregnant with my
Two-Headed Love Child,² What actress plays Debbie?
Answer: Winona RYDER
- Near the end of ³Don Henley Must Die,² Mojo issues the
warning, ³That goes for you too,² to what similarly-pompous
- Name the former sidekick of Mojo¹s, who went solo in 1989 and
occasionally records with the Whirlin¹ Spurs.
Answer: SKID ROPER
- The meek may be slow to inherit the earth, but at the University of
Tennessee, they came close to inheriting the NCAA Women's Basketball
chamionship four times in a row before being eliminated by Duke in 1999. Five for one, 15 for two, or 30 for all 3, give the last names of the
three Lady Vols known collectively as "The Meeks" for their distinctive
Answer: Chamique HOLDSCLAW, Tamika CATCHINGS, Semeka RANDALL