Round 7 Tossups
They are not believed to be named for a real person, but were most likely named generically in reference to the rough Irish pubs of late-19th-century New York. The authentic versions weren't what we think of today, but were strong, quick-acting laxative powders, employed by sneaky bartenders to get unruly partons to leave in a hurry. FTP, what is this two-word drink, commonly if incorrectly identified as the film-noir staple of a knockout drink?
A: MICKEY FINN
After sweeping 13 of the first 14 positions at the March Las Vegas race, NASCAR reduced the height of this car's spoiler. After it swept eight of the Top 10 spots the next week at Atlanta, NASCAR whacked two inches off the spoiler's width. The next week in Darlington, this vehicle again went eight for 10. FTP name this make of car, which replaced the Thunderbird as one of the three official NASCAR vehicles.
A: Ford TAURUS
A rare postage stamp, a staged baseball game against the New York Yankees, a law school education for his personal assistant, and a mayoral campaign resulting in the election of none of the above. These are among the ways in which a career minor-leaguer attempts to spend $1 million per day for a month in, FTP, what 1984 movie starring Hume Cronyn, John Candy, and Richard Pryor.
A: BREWSTER'S MILLIONS (prompt on: Montgomery Brewster, until "movie")
In 1853, Native American chef George Crum had the side dish he'd made sent back as undercooked and bland. He sliced it thinner and cooked it longer, and it was still sent back. Angry, he sliced it paper thin, covered it with a revolting amount of salt, and deep fried it. The
customer loved them. FTP, Crum invented what food, later made a national favorite by George Lay, whose namesake company is now its leading manufacurer?
A: POTATO CHIPS
Under the name Rat-tailed Jimmy, he traded a '65 Chevy to the Mexican mob for some cocaine, and started dealing in Hollywood. Soon, he was running a gang, calling himself Jigsaw Jim, and telling people he was the king of these barrio streets. FTP, give the business name of this man who, before his downfall, would make you feel all right and was going to be your Frankenstein, the titular drug dealer of a song by Motley Crue.
ANSWER: DR. FEELGOOD
The theme song for the series was composed and sung by the Waitresses. It was the brainchild of ex-Saturday Night Live writer Anne Beatts. The two main characters were trying to get into the in-crowd: Lauren Hutchison, a short girl with braces played by Amy Linker, and Patty Greene, a tall girl with glasses played by Sarah Jessica Parker. FTP, name this early-80s sitcom set at Weemawee High School, which, according to the opening credits, was "all about cliques."
A: SQUARE PEGS
The disclaimer on Running With Scissors' website claims no responsibility for "random acts of stupidity or violence committed by losers who may blame popular entertainment media and/or sugary snack foods for causing their inherent basic lack of control." Despite this, the software company's flagship game has been banned in Australia and pulled from CompUSA shelves despite strong sales. FTP, name this computer shoot-em-up, distributed by Ripcord Games, in
which the main character goes on a killing spree for reasons having nothing to do with the US Mail.
The Washington Post described this 1988 movie as "exactly like the real thing -- kinda empty, kinda unfulfilling, and you feel just awful afterward." This film follows Stacy and Melissa to a health spa where they break hearts, learn about relationships, and encounter a lot of dumb men who are jerks--including one played by Andrew Dice Clay. FTP name this film whose creators pointed to the question mark in the title as proof it was not an exploitation title, and which starred Lea Thompson and Victoria Jackson.
A: CASUAL SEX?
The British version of this television show featured an instrumental theme song called High Wire. When the series was imported to the States, High Wire was replaced with a P.F. Sloan and Steve Barri composition. The new theme song proved more popular than the series in the U.S, scoring hits for The Ventures and Johnny Rivers, the latter's version shooting to #3 in 1966. FTP, give either the British or U.S. title for this television show, which starred Patrick McGoohan as John Drake.
A: SECRET AGENT or DANGER MAN
A post to his anti-newsgroup claims this musician "sucks more than Michael Bolton and Kenny G combined," a clam Conan O'Brien dismissed saying he'd done the math and it just wasn't possible. FTP, name this composer of the NBA theme song, Connie Selleca's main "space alien," whose concerts have actually been picketed by people just because they find him annoying.
A. John TESH
ZZ Top Grants Clinton Keys to Magic Hotrod. General Motors Introduces New Instant-Win Airbags. New York To Install Special 'Infants Only' Dumpsters. I Went To Prison For Murder... But I Stayed For The Chili! If you live in Milwaukee, Denver, Chicago or Madison, you can read these stories on newsprint. Otherwise, you can visit the website of, FTP, what humor weekly, describing itself as "America's Finest News Source?"
A: THE ONION
His NBA career ended in 1998 when he was released by Orlando to make room for Spud Webb. He was traded to Orlando two days after his agent, disguised as a reporter, asked coach John Calipari at a press conference why his client continued to pine time on the bench, Maybe it was his career 33% field goal percentage, and how it took him three NBA seasons just to record an assist. FTP name this ex-George Washington standout and NBA bomb with the Nets and Magic.
A: Yinka DARE
Introduced by Kenner at the 1964 U.S. Toy Fair, it was originally tall and turquoise with a 100-watt light bulb. When this product was bought by Hasbro in 1991, it was modernized to include Dunkin Donuts, M&M's, and Oreo mixing sets. The product itself changed, from tall and turquoise to white and microwave-shaped. FTP name this toy, now 35 years old, still heating food via a 100-watt light bulb.
A: EASY BAKE OVEN
He is the official ambassador of Chaing Mai, Thailand. You may know him better by his voice, which you might have heard if you were a fan of game shows such as Whew!, Hit Man, Battle of the Stars, or So You Think You've Got Troubles. While he's better known as the original announcer for Love Connection or for his work on Press Your Luck, he is best known for his 13 year stint on the bulwark of morning network game shows. FTP name this man whose booming voice and colorful Thai silk outfits set him apart as announcer and sidekick to The Price is Right's Bob Barker.
A: Rod RODDY
This man was director James L, Brooks's first choice to play the Greg Kinnear role in As Good As It Gets, but failed his screen test. Born in 1941 in Forest Hills, New York, this masters graduate in math from Columbia published a book of poetry, Still Waters, in 1989, and had several solo hits in the 1970's, including All I Know, I Shall Sing, and 2nd Avenue. FTP name this man, who started his musical career as the Afro-haired half of Tom and Jerry.
ANSWER: Art GARFUNKEL
In 1958, when he was 10 years old, his mother was raped and strangled, an event which colored his later works of fiction. His 1996 memoir, My Dark Places, chronicles his 1994 attempt to reopen and solve the case with the help of a retired detective. FTP, name this mystery writer whose works include The Black Dahlia, American Tabloid, and LA Confidential.
A: James ELLROY.
She starred with Harrison Ford in The Mosquito Coast, after which she called Ford the worst kisser in Hollywood. She's appeared in such bombs as The Fiendish Plot of Dr. Fu Manchu and Caligula, but rebounded with an Oscar-nominated performance in The Madness of King George. FTP name this actress, best know as Detective Chief Inspector Jane Tennison in the Prime Suspect series.
A: Helen MIRREN
Her cousin, Georgeann Wells, became the first woman to dunk in a women's basketball game, doing so with West Virginia in 1984. Last year's starting center for the Xplosion, she was reduced to a backup role until her moment in the sun at Walt Disney World. After beating five other competitors, she was quickly traded to Portland and given a contract extension. FTP name this 6-5 center, who won the ABL's first slam-dunk contest in 1998.
A: Sylvia CRAWLEY
In 1997, after eating this, three Kentucky residents died from Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, the human equivalent of Mad Cow disease. All three regularly dined on the Kentucky delicacy Burgoo, suggesting a link between the disease and the main ingredient of Burgoo, which is either obtained by hunting or from roadkill. FTP, name this main ingredient, whose use in food prompted Dave Barry, in his year-end-review column, to suggest that "anyone who eats roadkilled rodent organs probably deserve[s] to die."
A: SQUIRREL BRAINS (prompt on "Burgoo" before it's mentioned)
When subscribers of SpinOnline were asked to name the Dreamiest Hanson of 1997, they chose this 33-year-old actor, who was unveiled as the 4th Hanson at the 1997 MTV Movie Awards. After getting his start as a drug dealer in Light Sleeper and skate punk in Police Academy 4, he turned to TV, where he was a Not Ready for Prime Time Player for six seasons. FTP name this actor, the Dean Martin to Chris Farley's Jerry Lewis in two films, now starring in Just Shoot Me.
A: David SPADE
Jake, Rachel, Tobias, Cassie, and Marco were walking past an abandoned construction site when they were approached by a dying Alien prince. The prince tells of a band of Alien fighters, known as Yeerks, who were preparing to invade Earth. Before being slaughtered by the
Abominator Visser 3, the prince gives the five the power to change into animal form to fight the Yeerks. Thus begins, FTP, what popular children's book series by K.A. Applegate?
A: The ANIMORPHS
He was originally slated to play Marty McFly in Back to the Future, but was replaced halfway thru filming. Born in 1961 in American Samoa, he had an entire category devoted to him on MTV's Idiot Savants, not bad for a guy who's been in 15 movies since 1992. He battled a snake in Anaconda, and suffered from elephantitis in Mask. FTP name this actor, who's also appeared in Kicking and Screaming, Say Anything, and Grace of My Heart.
A: Eric STOLTZ
Round 7 Bonuses
Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom series tell the tale of an earthman on mars and his family.
1. 5 pts: First, for five points, name the earthman.
ANSWER: John CARTER
2. 10 pts: Next, name the Green Man of Mars who befriends and allies with John Carter as Carter becomes the Warlord of Mars.
ANSWER: TARS TARKAS
3. 15 pts: Finally, name the son of John Carter and Dejah Thoris, the star of a couple of the books.
30-20-10 Name the '80s film.
30: This movie takes six-and-a-half minutes to run its film credits. With 763 names listed, its the longest list of credits in film history.
20: Adapted from a work by Gary K. Wold, this film won Oscars for Best Visual Effects and Best Film Editing. This movie featured the vocal talents of Amy Irving, June Foray and, in his last film credit, Frank Sinatra.
10: Co-produced by Touchtone Pictures and Amblin Entertainment, this 1988 film starred Bob Hoskins as a cartoon-hating detective.
A: WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT?
Most NBA players are starving for a world championship.
1. Four active players have played in at least 110 playoff games without winning a world title. FFPE, name them. Hint: two play for Utah, one for the Knicks, the fourth for Seattle.
ANSWER: John STOCKTON, Karl MALONE, Charles OAKLEY, Sam PERKINS
2. FTP, this Hall of Famer went 134 playoff games without an NBA title, between 1956 and 1970.
ANSWER: Elgin BAYLOR
Name the state from tourist attractions as found in Roadside America, 30-20-10.
30: Dewey has the Tom Mix Suitcase of Death, the actual suitcase which squashed the cowboy film star's head like a grape, killing him.
20: Beaver is the Cow Chip Throwing Capital the World, the location of the World Champion Cow Chip Throw as well as an approximatley 10 foot high statue of a beaver holding a cow chip.
10: You can see the Jetsons-esque Prayer Tower and 40 foot high praying hands on the campus of Oral Roberts University.
Answer these questions, F5P each, which link the rap group N.W.A. to The Beatles in just 5 steps. You'll get a bonus 5 for all correct.
1. First, give the stage name of the co-founder of NWA who also founded Death Row Records in 1992.
ANSWER: DR. DRE
2. Dr. Dre shares this name with the rotund former co-host of Yo! MTV Raps, who got his start as the DJ for what New York based white rap group?
ANSWER: BEASTIE BOYS
3. The Beastie Boys' lead singer, Adam Horovitz, married what actress, best known for roles in River's Edge and Say Anything?
ANSWER: Ione SKYE
4. Ione Skye's father is what '60s pop singer, with hits such as Sunshine Superman and Mellow Yellow?
ANSWER: DONOVAN Leitch
5. Finally, Donovan's Mellow Yellow features which Fab Four member providing whispered back-up vocals such as "quite right".
ANSWER: Paul MCCARTNEY (accept: PAUL)
Hostess may get the publicity, but when you need sugary snack food full of cakey goodness, and only have 29 cents, you turn to Little Debbie. FTPE, given a description of a Little Debbie snack cake, name it.
1. Crisped rice, glued together with marshmellow paste and covered with chocolate.
ANSWER: STAR CRUNCH
2. Frosted angel food cake with stripes of chocolate frosting.
ANSWER: ZEBRA CAKES
3. Slabs of chocolate cake and cream filling wrapped around each other and dipped in chocolate.
A: SWISS CAKE ROLLS
Eight was enough for Tom Bradford, but six is all you'll need. For 5 points each, name any six of the Bradford kids from Eight is Enough.
A: NICHOLAS, TOMMY, ELIZABETH, NANCY, SUSAN, JOANNIE, MARY, DAVID
Identify the actress from roles, 30-20-10-5-1.
30: She appears in two 1998 movies, as Mrs. Wilson in Dennis the Menace 2, and as Doreen in Hard Rain, upping her career total to 3 feature films.
20: Her other feature film role was as a senator in 1962's Advise and Consent, and she starred opposite Marie Osmond on the TV show Maybe This Time.
10: She played Ellen Jackson on Mama's Family and Sue Ann Nivens on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.
5: She portrayed Rose Nylan on Golden Palace and Golden Girls
1: In 1958, she hosted The Betty White Show.
A: Betty WHITE
If you can't find a record label to release your music, then found your own label. Given an artist who did just that, name the label he founded or co-founded FTPE.
A. Frank Sinatra ANSWER: REPRISE
B. Elton John ANSWER: ROCKET
C. Herb Alpert ANSWER: A&M
When Homer buys a monkey's paw in Treehouse of Horror 2, each member of the family except for Marge gets to make a wish and have it granted. FTPE, name any three of the four things that the Simpsons wish for.
A: a NEW or GOLDEN PACIFIER, FORTUNE or FAME, WORLD PEACE, a TURKEY SANDWICH (give some leeway on each, but the sandwich must be turkey!)
The U-S Postal Service wants you to select the 1950's icons that belong on postage stamps. Name these nominees FTPE.
A. At 16, she won the 1951 U.S. Open. Two years later, she became the first woman to win tennis's Grand Slam.
ANSWER: Maureen CONNOLLY
B. Boxing's Brockton Blockbuster, he's the only heavyweight champion to retire undefeated.
ANSWER: Rocky MARCIANO
C. This 1952 Gene Kelly film lampooned Hollywood during its transition from silent films to talkies.
ANSWER: SINGIN IN THE RAIN
Given the setting, name the James Michener novel, for 15 points each.
1. It was the silent time before dawn, along the shores of what had been one of the most beautiful lakes in southern Africa.
ANSWER: The COVENANT
2. A town on the Platte river in Colorado, from the 1850s to the 1970s.
Christmas is generally a happy time, but not in these movies. Identify these films the grinch would approve of, FTP each.
1. After a boy sees his parents killed by a thief in a Santa suit, he is sent to a cruel orphanage. When he grows up he also becomes a Santa suit wearing murder who makes his way back to the orphanage in this 1984 slasher film which inspired 4 straight-to-video sequels.
ANSWER: SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT
2. Taking a page out of the Silent Night, Deadly Night book, this 1985 film features a boy who sees his mother killed, you guessed it, by a guy in a Santa suit. But he seeks revenge later by killing all the department store and street corner Santas he can find, hoping to find the one who
did in Mommy.
ANSWER: DON'T OPEN 'TILL CHRISTMAS
3. Unlike the others, this movie is a comedy; the only horror would be sitting through this 1988 sequel in which an allegedly lovable goofball must bring Santa and his successor together by 7 p.m. on December 24th.
A: ERNEST SAVES CHRISTMAS
Okay, you can identify The Doctor in a tossup, but FTPE, ID these other Time Lords from Doctor Who:
1. In "The Three Doctors," he is found in the middle of a black hole, living on only through the force of his will. He shows up again to cause trouble for the fifth Doctor in "Arc of Infinity".
ANSWER: OMEGA (OH-mee-ga; accept usual pronunciation)
2. Like Hitler, he was thought executed, but his brain was saved so it could later be put into another body. The fourth Doctor encountered him on Karn, along with the keepers of the Elixir of Life.
3. He showed up as a good guy in "The Deadly Assassin," but in "The Five Doctors," he used the Time Scoop and several unwitting incarnations of The Doctor to achieve immortality...of a sort.
The ultimate leisure activity for obsessive geeks, which describes some of the TRASH staff including this question writer, is to figure out who REALLY killed JFK. Show your obsessive trivia-obsessed side by identifying these things which may be pieces to that puzzle for the stated
number of points.
1 5 pts: First, from what building did Oswald supposedly fire?
ANSWER: Texas BOOK DEPOSITORY
2. 5 pts: Second, a spot in a park is often suggested as the location of the real assassin. What is the common name for this spot?
ANSWER: GRASSY KNOLL
3. 10 pts: What is the collective name for the group of men picked up by police at the grassy knoll just after the shooting, but released soon after, who feature prominently in many re-evaluations of the shooting?
ANSWER: THREE TRAMPS
4. 10 pts: This CIA director testified to the Warren Commission that the CIA never considered using Lee Harvey Oswald as an agent. CIA documents leaked in 1976 revealed this to be a barefaced lie.
A: Richard HELMS
Identify these songs relating to Star Trek characters for the stated number of points.
1. 5 pts: This song describes a squad of fighter pilots as "Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk," or, as the original version went, "Jeder warr ein grosser krieger, hielten zich fur Kaptain Kirk."
ANSWER: _99_ LUFTBALOONS
2. 10 pts: In this song, the singer's companion's ID card bills him (or her, we don't know) as "Captain Jean Luc Picard of the United Federation of Planets." It doesn't matter, the border guard doesn't speak English anyway.
3. 15 pts: This one hit of the 80s one-hit wonders Information Society does not mention Mr. Spock, but it does contain samples of Spock saying the song's subtitle.
ANSWER: WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND (prompt on Pure Energy)
Identify these NHL tough guys for the stated number of points.
1. 10 pts: It took this Blues forward 188 games, 5 1/2 seasons, and over 600 penalty minutes to score his first career goal--in 1994. Through 54 games this season he has 1 assist and 100 penalty minutes.
ANSWER: Tony TWIST
2. 5 pts: He started showing some scoring punch last year, with a career high 28 points, but his penalty minutes fell off to just 275. Name this Toronto wing, who rode his stick like a witch's broom after scoring his first NHL goal with the Rangers in 1992.
ANSWER: Tie DOMI
3. 15pts: An up and coming young goon, this Devils rookie is leading the league by a wide margin or fighting majors, with 28 by mid-March.
A: Krzysztof OLIWA
Name the state which all of these TV shows call or called home for the stated number of points.
1. FFP, Trapper John MD, Lou Grant, and Ellen.
2. FTP, Dawson's Creek and Two Guys, A Girl, and a Pizza Place
3. F15P, Just the Ten of Us, Lanigan's Rabbi, Aaron's Way
They were looking for a few bad men. They got lots, it seems, but they mostly sucked. Yes, they were Cobra, archenemies of G.I. Joe, a terror organization with the most inept soldiers. Identify these types of Cobra soldiers FTPE.
1. These soldiers were Cobra's "elite" force and made up Cobra Commander's personal guard. They still couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside the barn, and neither could their leaders, Tomax and Xamot.
ANSWER: CRIMSON GUARD
2. These communications specialists wore mirrored visors which displayed everything they
said in computer-type letters. No idea why this was useful.
3. Realizing that most of their troops sucked, Cobra recruited this band of mercenaries, led by Zartan, to give them a little backbone. They *were* better, but Cobra still inevitably lost every encounter with G.I. Joe.
Name the actress, 30-20-10.
30: Her father was knighted by Queen Elizabeth after winning an Oscar for Ryan's Daughter in 1970.
20: Her sister played the title caregiver in the vintage sitcom Nanny and the Professor; her own films include Tiger Bay and Whistle Down the Wind.
10: Her other films include Polyanna and The Parent Trap.
A: _H_ayley MILLS