Round 3 Tossups
This National Leaguer, one of only three players to play in all regular season games in 1997, also became the first player in history to play in 162 games without hitting into a double play. The only player to make All-Star teams as both a catcher and second baseman, he was moved to second to protect his surprising speed on the basepaths. FTP name this second baseman of the Houston Astros.
ANSWER: Craig BIGGIO
It ran on radio until 1955, when its creator, an attorney and writer, teamed up with his agent to form Paisano Productions. William Hopper, Fred MacMurray and Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. all tried out for the title role, but it fell to a man who usually played heavies. FTP, identify this courtroom drama about a defense attorney whose only loss came at the behest of the nation's defense lawyers, played by an actor who originally read for the part of Hamilton Burger, Raymond Burr.
ANSWER: PERRY MASON
Made by Just Born of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, this product comes in five colors - white, yellow, pink, purple, and blue. Over 600 million will be hatched this year, and this non-fat confection recently passed jelly beans as the most popular non-chocolate Easter candy in America. FTP, name this squishy, sugar-coated, animal-shaped marshmallow novelty.
ANSWER: Marshmallow PEEPS
This band formed in Melbourne, Australia, in 1988, and have toured ever since. They have recorded two original songs and numerous covers, roughly half of them from one other band. The four band members play as Benny Anderwear, Frida Longstokin, Agnetha (ann-YETT-uh) Falstart, and Bjorn Volvo-us. FTP name this band, perhaps the most successful cover band ever, who have benefitted greatly from a recent wave of ABBA nostalgia.
ANSWER: BJORN AGAIN
Born in Brooklyn, the son of a garbage-collector, this actor worked as a firefighter and in various day jobs before getting his big break in 1989's New York Stories and Mystery Train. He earned an Independent Spirit Award for his work in 1993's Reservoir Dogs, and earned his first mainstream role as Brendan Fraser and Adam Sandler's metal head friend in Airheads. FTP name this actor, who directed Trees Lounge, and also appeared in Pulp Fiction, Fargo, and Con Air.
ANSWER: Steve BUSCEMI
He was quoted in the British newspaper The Sunday Mirror saying "Once they have reached the age of puberty it is okay. . . It doesn't do any harm." When asked if he had had sex with young boys, he simply replied "yes." Adding to the shock of this revelation was its timing, coming scant days before he was to be knighted by Prince Charles. FTP, what author, thinker, and British expatriate living in Sri Lanka may now be facing criminal charges for his pedophilia?
ANSWER: Arthur C. CLARKE
According to their female lead singer, the band began in a squatted commune in Leeds while everyone else went to get Kajagoogoo haricuts. Early albums included 1987's Pictures of Starving Children Sell Records, an attack on Live Aid, and Never Mind the Ballots (1988), a rant on Thatcherism. Their latest album features rants against Tony Blair and feminism, but the first single on the album likely dooms them to one-hit wonder status. FTP, name this eight-person band responsible for Tubthumping.
She worked her way through college as a fashion model, and was named
one of America's Ten Best-Dressed College Girls by Glamour magazine. After
graduating she became a very successful stockbroker, enabling her to buy
a $49,000 Westport, Connecticut home in 1971. She started her own catering
business in 1974, and wrote her first book, Entertaining, in 1982. FTP
name this woman who developed a special line of products for K-Mart in the
late '80s and who created her own magazine, Living.
A: Martha STEWART
His hobbies include nature photography, collecting eight-track tapes, and writing folk songs. His compositions include Men, which asks you to share your feelings with your fellow men, and Touch a Mountain. During their respective premieres he was mauled by a bear and injured badly by falling down a mountain. FTP, name this talented guy, also famous for Lesbian Seagull and for "teaching" Beavis and Butthead at Highland High.
A. Mr. Alex VANDREISEN
They eat toast and custard and have very repetitive adventures, sometimes including their friend Noo Noo, a giant vacuum cleaner. Tinky Winky is purple, and has been called the first gay icon for todlers because of the way he cavorts with his handbag. Laa Laa is yellow. Po is red. Dipsy is green. FTP, this describes what nauseating British TV show, the first aimed at children under age 2?
This film's credits close with the statement, "Exiguous scenes in this film were re-enacted," leading many to believe the movie is entirely a sham. The movie contains lots of stock footage from World War II and of various natural disasters, along with several animal attacks. The most notorious scene, though, is a probably-faked sequence where restaurant patrons kill a monkey with mallets, then eat the brains. FTP name this 1978 film with 5 sequels, narrated by Dr. Francis B. Gross and which claimed to be BANNED IN 40 COUNTRIES!!!
ANSWER: FACES OF DEATH
It debuted in August 1995 on Fox, where over 10 million people watched. Medical and special-effects experts have found flaw with it- the camera leads the action rather than following it, muscles and fat sag toward the feet on a prone specimen, and the surgeons hold scalpels incorrectly, to name a few. Still, it remains popular in reruns. FTP, name this film, purporting to show proof of the Roswell, New Mexico, crash.
ANSWER: ALIEN AUTOPSY
They later tried to reinvent themselves as progressive rockers in the mold of U2 and to distance themselves from such songs as Leper Lover, Let's Roll Over Lionel Richie With A Tank and U Stink But I Heart U. After being called in front of Tipper Gore's panel, they discarded their
original name, Deathtongue. FTP, name this band from Bloom County, Kansas, fronted by Bill The Cat.
ANSWER: BILLY AND THE BOINGERS (accept DEATHTONGUE before it appears in the question)
Last year, this man became a two-sport star by playing the point for the USBL's Jacksonville Barricudas. One of 18 men to hold world titles in three weight classes, this Floridian was named Outstanding Boxer of the Seoul Olympics, despite winning a silver medal. He won the IBF middleweight title from Bernard Hopkins in 1993, then beat James Toney in 1994 to take the IBF super-middleweight crown. FTP name this boxer, who knocked out Montell Griffin to regain the WBC light heavyweight crown in 1997.
ANSWER: Roy JONES, Jr.
As a child in Derry, Northern Ireland she lost her mother Maureen to a heart attack and her brother to the region's sectarian violence. Her father passed away while she was in art school, an event which caused her to reevaluate her career choice and change it to acting. A failed first marriage brought her to the US, and eventually to role in Rex Harrison's stage production of The Circle and the TV movie A Woman Named Jackie. FTP name this actress best known for her portrayal of Monica opposite Della Reece on the CBS valuefest Touched By An Angel.
ANSWER: Roma DOWNEY
Earthco Insurance's new ad featured the cast of Baywatch, Garth Brooks, and a chorus line of singing kangaroos. Very humorous. However, the ad never aired, supposedly because it didn't reach NBC in time, but actually because it never existed. FTP, the supposed Earthco ad was
actually the setup for a Super Bowl ad for what company, touting the speed and reliability of its delivery service?
ANSWER: FEDeral EXpress
On Broadway, she dreamed the impossible dream with The Man of La Mancha. On TV, she married Sonny Crockett on Miami Vice. In music, she held the Arms of Orion with Prince, had a long distance love affair on the Telefone, Got Tonight with Kenny Rogers, Strut-ted her way into a Holiday Spa commercial, and had her baby take the Morning Train. FTP, name this Scot, winner of the 1981 Best New Artist Grammy.
ANSWER: Sheena EASTON
A barbituate-laced enema was the means of death, according to one biographer, administered either in a tragic experiment or as a means of murder. Either explains how she overdosed without drug residue in her stomach or any needle marks. The coroner ruled it an accidental death, but those who suspect murder have no shortage of suspects, including boyfriend Sam Giancana and Peter Lawford, the brother-in-law of another boyfriend. FTP, name this woman, whose death in 1962 has also been linked to other boyfriends Bobby and Jack Kennedy.
ANSWER: Marilyn MONROE
Con Air, Casualties of War, Stop or My Mom Will Shoot, Flight of the Intruder, The People Under The Stairs, Mission:Impossible, Dave, and Striptease all feature this actor. FTP name this man who portrayed the title character in the 1997 TV movie Don King: Only In America, and whose breakout role was in Pulp Fiction as crime boss Marcellus Wallace.
ANSWER: Ving RHAMES
In 1998, they became the first team in their conference's history to win 20 games and be eligible for March Madness and fail to qualify. Coach Tom Davis blamed the snub on a weak non-conference schedule and a first round loss in the Big 10 tournament. FTP name this team, known for their succession of tall, awkward white guys who shoot threes, including Jess Settles, Chris Kingsbury, Matt Bullard, and Brad Lohaus.
ANSWER: University of IOWA
The best deals are 25-cent institutional bags, worth one each. Deli Lays and 3-D Doritos are next best, worth two each but each costs much more. Two-and-a-quarter ounce bags of Wild-n-Mild Ranch Fritos, at one each, are the worst deal, while most individual bags of Cheetos, Fritos, Doritos, Lays and Ruffles are worth one. FTP, what is it you get with these purchases, which can be traded in for supposedly cool prizes?
ANSWER: PLANET LUNCH POINTS
Michael Jackson considered erecting a statue at Neverland to honor this comic, who died in March 1992. First introduced to U.S. audiences in 1968's Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, his TV series, which aired in the U.K. for 20 years, debuted in America in 1979. Regulars on his show included
straight man/announcer Henry McGee, and Jackie Wright, a short bald guy this man liked to hit on the head. FTP, name this man, who played characters such as Fred Scuttle, Maurice Dribble, The Halitosis Kid, and Barney the Disgruntled Husband on his self-named show.
ANSWER: Arthur "Benny" HILL
(I moved the land developers clue back, because it's about the only thing I know about the Hollywood (Hills) sign, and I didn't think of many other things it could be. YMMV --pg)
It was demolished and rebuilt in 1978, and the new version still stands 50 feet high, 450 feet wide, and weighs about 450,000 pounds across the side of Mount Lee. FTP name this object, designated as Los Angeles Cultural-Historical Monument #111 in 1973, built in 1923 as a stunt by land developers, located in Griffith Park where it is illegal to hike to these 9 letters.
A: the HOLLYWOOD sign
She has played the title character in at least 3 TV movies--1981's The Miracle of Kathy Miller, 1983's Quarterback Princess, and 1991's The Pamela Wojtas Smart Story. Her feature debut was in the 1977 disaster film Rollercoaster as George Segal's daughter, and her first big-screen starring role was opposite Sarah Jessica Parker in Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. FTP name this actress whose TV success has led to movie stardom and a 1997 Golden Globe Award for As Good As It Gets.
ANSWER: Helen HUNT
Bassist Bill Leon quit music to open a bookstore in Mesa. Guitarists Scott Johnson and Jesse Valenzuela formed the Low Watts, while drummer Philip Rhodes and singer Robin Wilson tour as the Pharoahs. Original guitarist Doug Hopkins killed himself in 1993, weeks after his band had their first Top 40 hit. FTP name this band, who hit the big time with Hey Jealousy and Found Out About You.
ANSWER: GIN BLOSSOMS
Round 3 Bonuses
Name these TV shows featuring Bronson Pinchot for the stated number of points.
1. FFP, Bronson plays Balki Bartokomus, a native of Mypos who comes to Chicago to live with his cousin Larry in this sitcom.
ANSWER: PERFECT STRANGERS
2. FTP, Bronson is a space alien who touches down on Earth to live with Jonathan Lipnicki's family in this CBS sitcom, described by one critic as a show for people who find Spam entertaining. Cancelled after eight episodes in 1997.
3. F15P, Bronson played a newlywed carried away by baboons on his African honeymoon in this short-lived sitcom. His wife, played by Shanna Reed, remarries, but Bronson returns, and fun and hilarity ensues.
ANSWER: THE TROUBLE WITH LARRY
Given the team, name the pro sports league which they won a 1997 championship in FTPE.
A. Arizona Rattlers
ANSWER: ARENA FOOTBALL
B. Hershey Bears
ANSWER: AMERICAN HOCKEY LEAGUE or A-H-L
C. Oklahoma City Cavalry
ANSWER: CONTINENTAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION or C-B-A
30-20-10, name the state from its odd tourist attractions as listed by Roadside America.
30: In Lloyd you would find Johnny Donutseed, a 25 foot tall fiberglass man enjoying a cup of coffee and a donut, with a sack slung over his shoulder believed to contain his donut seeds.
20: Chipley calls itself the Possum Capital of the US and has both a bronze plaque and a stone statue honoring that animal, whose abundance allowed local residents to survive the Depression.
10: St. Augustine may provide the best 1-2 combo anywhere, the Tragedy in US History Museum and the World's Largest Ball of Barbed Wire.
Given a popular novelty song, name the artist or group who made it famous FTPE
A. Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini ANSWER: Brian HYLAND
B. The Curly Shuffle ANSWER: JUMP'N'THE SADDLE
E. Pac-Man Fever ANSWER: BUCKNER & GARCIA
Give the names of the following movie characters FTP each. Full names required.
1. These two brothers--first names and last name required--fled a botched bank robbery only to end up in worse trouble in From Dusk Til Dawn.
ANSWER: SETH and RICHARD GECKO
2. This financier told us that "Greed, for want of a better word, is good." in Wall Street.
ANSWER: GORDON GECKO (Moderator: Part 2. is worth 20 possible)
The Simpsons are Matt Groening's best known creation, but he prefers his comic strip, Life in Hell. Identify the following denizens of Hell for the stated number of points. Hint: none of them are the beloved fez-wearing capitalists Akbar or Jeff.
1. 5 pts: These days, it seems the only characters in Life in Hell who aren't Akbar and Jeff are two kids based on Groening's. FFP, all or nothing, name them.
ANSWER: ABE and WILL
2. 10 pts: The strip was originally supposed to be about the anthropomorphic rabbit Binky, and his relationship with his girlfriend and one-eared son. FFPE, name the other two members of Binky's household.
ANSWER: SHEBA, BONGO
3. Akbar and Jeff aren't the only fez-wearing characters in the strip. Their three nephews also do the fez look. FFPE, name their three nephews.
ANSWER: GOOEY, SCREWEY and RATATOUILLE
Identify the following related songs from lyrics FTPE, or for five if you need the artists.
1. 10 pts: You're happy cause you smile/ but how much can you fake/ an ordinary boy, an ordinary name/ but ordinary's just not good enough today
5 pts: Our Lady Peace
ANSWER: SUPERMAN'S DEAD
2. 10 pts: Yes, he's tired of all the fighting in this town/ all the suffering and vice/ he wants to fall in love/ maybe settle in and live a life/ and I'll turn my back on this world
5 pts: Big Head Todd and The Monsters
ANSWER: RESIGNATION SUPERMAN
3. 10 pts: He's the one who got lucky/ got his cape around Miss Lois Lane/ I can't believe my dilemma is real/ I'm competing with the man of steel
5 pts: The Spin Doctors
ANSWER: JIMMY OLSON'S BLUES (prompt on Pocket Full of Kryptonite)
Given the brand of beer, identify its country of origin FFPE, with a five point bonus for all five.
1. Polar ANSWER: VENEZUELA
2. O.B. ANSWER: South KOREA
3. Ngomo ANSWER: TOGO
Answer these questions about crime and punishment, television-style, FTPE.
1. The late Brian Keith played a judge, and Daniel Hugh-Kelly an ex-con, tracking down criminals who had gotten away with their crimes on technicalities.
ANSWER: HARDCASTLE AND MCCORMICK
2. This one-season syndicated show, starred Mr. T as ex-con-turned-private eye T.S. Turner, and Alex Amini as his partner, lawyer Amanda Taler, and was named for the two characters.
ANSWER: T AND T
3. Yet another ex-con and lawman chasing wrongdoers. This time Eddie Albert played ex-cop Frank MacBride and Robert Wagner played ex-con Pete Ryan, in this 70's polyesterfest, sort of "Green Acres" meets "Barnaby Jones".
Mrs. Fletcher is on the ground and she is unable to reach her walker.
1. First, F5P, and with feeling, give Mrs' Fletcher's immortal 7-word line that made this advertisement a classic.
ANSWER: "I'VE FALLEN AND I CAN'T GET UP"
2. FTP, Mrs. Fletcher got the help she needed thanks to what product, a pendant she wore on her neck which automatically called the paramedics?
ANSWER: LIFE CALL
c. Only this commercial could make a heart attack funny. F15P, what line did Mrs. Fletcher's male counterpart elderly person utter, which did not become a catchphrase like her line.
ANSWER: I'M HAVING CHEST PAINS
The 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon is so, so, five minutes ago, yet it can be milked out at least one more time! Given an actor with a Bacon number of two, as well as two films, name the linked actor FTP each. For example, if I said "Nicolas Cage was in Honeymoon in Vegas with BLANK, who was in Footloose with Kevin Bacon," you'd say Sarah Jessica Parker.
1. Jonathan Taylor Thomas was in Tom and Huck with BLANK, who was in Sleepers with Kevin Bacon.
ANSWER: Brad RENFRO
2. Macauley Culkin was in My Girl with BLANK, who was in Queens Logic with Kevin Bacon.
ANSWER: Jamie Lee CURTIS
3. Rob Reiner was in This is Spinal Tap with BLANK, who was in The Big Picture with Kevin Bacon.
ANSWER: Fran DRESCHER
The average major league baseball team payroll this season is over 35 million dollars. Answer these questions on 1998 team payrolls for the stated number of points.
A. (5) This American League team not only has baseball's oldest starting lineup, but also the highest payroll, at 70.4 million dollars.
ANSWER: Baltimore Orioles
B. (10) This National League club has only one player, Mike Maddux, with more than three year's major league experience, as well as the smallest payroll at 9.2 million dollars.
ANSWER: Montreal Expos
C. (15) Only two Expos make at least one million dollars a year. Five points for one, 15 for both, name this outfielder and pitcher.
ANSWER: Rondell WHITE, Carlos PEREZ
The 80's. John Hughes. An inseparable trio.
1. (20) While Pretty In Pink, Sixteen Candles, Some Kind of Wonderful, and Career Opportunities are all teen angst films produced or directed by John Hughes, they are also titles of pop songs. For 5 points each, identify the artists who originally performed these four songs.
ANSWER: The PSYCHEDELIC FURS, The CRESTS, GRAND FUNK RAILROAD (also THE DRIFTERS), The CLASH
2. (10): Two years after The Breakfast Club came out in 1985, a band by that name -- which actually pre-dated the film and once featured a drummer named Madonna Ciccone -- scored its only hit which peaked at #7. FTP, name it.
ANSWER: RIGHT ON TRACK
Name these prime-time Emmy Award record-holders FTPE.
1. The only actor to win seven Emmys, he won four times for The Mary Tyler Moore Show, once for Roots, and twice more from an MTM spinoff.
ANSWER: Edward ASNER
2. This series holds the record for most Emmys won in its first season, eight in 1981, including Best Drama, Best Actress Barbara Babcock, and Best Supporting Actor Michael Conrad.
ANSWER: HILL STREET BLUES
3. This sitcom holds the record for most nominations, with 117 over an 11-year period.
It's time for another round of "Fun With Mass Murderers." Identify the following killers FTPE.
1. Also known as the Rostov Ripper, this minor Communist party functionary sexually assaulted, killed, disembowled and ate at least 52 young men and women in the late 80s and early 90s.
ANSWER: Andrei CHIKATILO or CITIZEN X
2. He left a note indicating he wanted his brain examined at his autopsy, told his wife he was going out "hunting humans", then started sniping from a tower at the University of Texas. When an autopsy was performed, it was discovered he had a severe brain tumor.
ANSWER: Charles Nelson WHITMAN
(c) Later claiming they were just bored, he and his 14-year-old girlfriend Caril Fugate killed her family and sat down to watch TV. When it seemed the neighbors might get suspicious, they went on a killing spree across the state of Nebraska before being apprehended.
ANSWER: Charles STARKWEATHER
30-20-10 Name the director given films
30: The Toy, Ladyhawke, Radio Flyer
20: The Omen, Superman, The Goonies
10: The Lethal Weapon Trilogy, Conspiracy Theory
ANSWER: Richard DONNER
The undefeated, undisputed queens of basketball are the Tennessee Lady Volunteers. Answer these questions on the 97-98 Lady Vols for the stated number of points.
1. 5 pts: The head coach, whose father's name, believe it or not, is Dick Head.
ANSWER: Pat Head SUMMITT
2. 10 pts: This year's team featured a trio of players known as The Meeks. FFPE, give the first names of two of the Meeks.
ANSWER: CHAMIQUE Holdsclaw, TAMIKA Catchings, SEMEKA Randall
3. 15 pts: The team's only senior, she played only sporadically this season due to bad knees.
ANSWER: Laurie MILLIGAN
Two geeky passions rolled onto one: The Star Wars Monopoly game. Identify the changes made for this edition for the stated number of points.
1. 10 pts: Instead of Baltic and Mediterranean Avenues, the Purple color group represents what lowly planet?
2. 10 pts: What color-group does the Death Star represent?
3. F5PE, What two items replace Electric Company and Water Works?
ANSWER: REACTOR CORE, MOISTURE FARM
Name the alternative acts who perform the theme songs for the following TV shows, FTPE
1. King of the Hill ANSWER: The REFRESHMENTS
2. Daria ANSWER: SPLENDORA
3. The Daily Show ANSWER: Bob MOULD
Name these works of alternative American history FTPE.
1. This Harry Turtledove work postulates how the Civil War would have turned out if the South Africans provided the Confederacy with automatic weapons.
ANSWER: The GUNS OF THE SOUTH
2. Co-written by Turtledove and Richard Dreyfus, it theorizes a modern day British North America and a JFK-led Sons of Liberty.
ANSWER: THE TWO GEORGES
3. Nazis control Europe and after a short war with Japan the US remains the only other superpower. The US prepares for what might be a major war in this book, which is supposed to be continued even though it flopped. Being written by Newt Gingrich may or may not have contributed to that.
Name these Bob Clark-directed films for the stated number of points.
1. F5P, Peter Billingsley is a young boy with a single-minded obsession to acquire a Red Ryder air rifle in this 1983 film.
ANSWER: A CHRISTMAS STORY
2. FTP, six teens at South Florida's Angel Beach High School in the 1950's lust for sexual success in this 1982 film, which launched the career of Kim Cattrall and spawned two sequels.
3. F15P, Dolly Parton tries to turn New York cabbie Sly Stallone into a country-western sensation in this 1984 bomb, which earned Sly his first Razzie for Worst Actor.
FTPE, give the first and last names of the people who fit the given information.
1. While her album _This Fire_ did well, you may have heard two of its signature songs on TV recently: I Don't Want to Wait was used for ads promoting the new WB show Dawson's Creek, while Where Have All the Cowboys Gone? was used to tout the CBS series The Magnificent Seven.
ANSWER: PAULA COLE
2. This stand-up comedienne and co-star of Living Single brings these jobs together in a new one, author, in her book I'm Free, But It'll Cost You.
ANSWER: KIM COLES
3. A standout at Viginia Tech and current Golden State Warrior, this guard still holds the Miami Heat team record for assists. He is known by his nickname, which came from a line in a country song.
A: VERNELL or BIMBO COLES