Round 2 Tossups
Perfection was the first. Standard, another early one, was done in gold. Spy had punched eye holes, Cummings was all in lower case, and Warhol was done in false colors. Rome was a motor scooter in front of a fountain, while London was the front of 10 Downing Street. Domestically, L.A. was a swimming pool, while Manhattan was an altered aerial view of Central Park. FTP, these words all complete advertisements for what product, the best-selling vodka in America?
ANSWER: ABSOLUT Vodka
Dan Quayle made an appearance on one episode, commemorating the 215th anniversary of the Marine Corps, and in February 1991, the main character asked to be transferred to Saudi Arabia, in a show about the Gulf War. Mostly, though, it was a family-oriented comedy. FTP, identify this sitcom featuring liberal reporter Shanna Reed and her three daughters, coming to grips with life with her new husband, Marine officer J. D. "Mac" MacGillis, as played by Gerald McRaney.
ANSWER: MAJOR DAD
A suicidal mental patient in the video for Melissa Etheridge's Come to my Window. Holly Bankston in A Family for Joe. Kate Farrell in I Married Dora. Audrey Griswold in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. A young and vacuous mistress in Romeo is Bleeding. Aurora's granddaughter in The Evening Star. Adele in Kalifornia. All these roles were played by, FTP, what actress, whose most memorable role was as the white-trash killer in Natural Born Killers.
ANSWER: Juliette LEWIS
It was designed and coded by Justin Frankel, with help from Tom
Pepper, and Dmitry Boldyrev as a project for Nullsoft. Its newest
innovations include 64-bit decoding, interchangeable frontends called
"skins," and input plugins that let it play, theoretically, any kind of
digital audio. FTP, name this shareware program, the preferred program on
Windows to play MP3 audio files.
A: WINAMP (do not prompt on "amp")
Despite the fact that they are reigning world champions, third-string quarterback Jeff Loots is the only player with a fan page devoted to him. They got off to a rocky start in 1997, losing to the Tampa Bay Storm, but only lost once more en route to a 12-2 season and their second league
championship under coach Danny White. FTP name this Phoenix-based Arena Football League team.
ANSWER: Arizona RATTLERS (prompt on: Arizona)
A native of Fort Worth, Texas, he played bass for Ray Price and wrote country classics such as Hello Walls and Patsy Cline's Crazy. Many of his albums have had collaborators such as Waylon Jennings or, in one effort, various members of his family, and six of his songs have been crossover pop hits, including Let It Be Me and On The Road Again. FTP name this country icon whose Always On My Mind could refer to the IRS.
ANSWER: Willie NELSON
Although he's said to have written over 87 paperbacks, Venus on the Half-Shell is the only one available under "his" name. But that one was actually written by Philip Jose Farmer. "He" is the favorite author of Eliot Rosewater and Billy Pilgrim, and Dwayne Hoover bit off his finger in
Breakfast of Champions. FTP, name this fictional sci-fi author, a recurring character created by Kurt Vonnegut.
ANSWER: Kilgore TROUT
According to this man, A G'day In the Life of Che Guevara, Howard Stern's End, Ghost Chasers III, Edward Plungerhands, and Crocodile Gandhi all have on thing in common: they stink. He makes this claim on his show Coming Attractions, seen on the network owned by Ted Turner's evil cousin, Duke Phillips. FTP name this character, the third highest rated daytime film reviewer in New York, voiced by Jon Lovitz on the ABC/Fox/Comedy Central animated comedy The Critic.
ANSWER: Jay SHERMAN (prompt on The Critic)
A three-time Gold Glove outfielder, he was the National League Player of the Year in 1985. That year, he won his first of two batting titles, and his .353 batting average was the highest single season total ever for a switch hitter. He led his team to the World Series that year, as he did as their rookie center fielder in 1982. FTP name this player, who played for the Cardinals from 1982 until 1990, the year of his second batting title, and who returned to the Cards in 1996 as a utility outfielder.
ANSWER: Willie MCGEE
It was invented mostly as a way of improving on the traditional dish Welsh rarebit, but during its test marketing in 1952 housewives found over 1,300 uses for it. Introduced in July 1953, it mixes Worchestershire sauce, mustard, and salt along with its most important ingredient. FTP name this product made even more useful with the increased popularity of the microwave, designed by Kraft as a liquid version of Velveeta.
ANSWER: CHEEZ WHIZ
According to urban legend, this singer was dating Donna Rice in 1987 when he introduced her to presidential hopeful Gary Hart. The rest was Monkey Business. Dirty Laundry aside, this singer, born in Texas in 1947, played with Shiloh in 1970 before joining his Boys of Summer two years later. When they split up in 1982, this drummer got to the Heart of the Matter, starting a successful solo career. FTP name this singer, also responsible for The End of the Innocence. ANSWER: Don HENLEY
This movie premiered on Showtime in January 1998 with a different ending than the theatrical version. On TV, this film ends with Rod Tidwill receiving his endorsement deal with Reebok. That scene was edited out when the film was released to theatres in 1996, but an out-of-court settlement between Reebok and Sony TriStar forced the scene to be added. FTP, name this film, which earned Cuba Gooding, Jr. an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.
ANSWER: JERRY MAGUIRE
In GURPS Fantasy, they are distantly related to Orcs and have base Strength -2, Dexterity +1, and Intelligence +1. In Dungeons & Dragons they can occasionally interbreed with Orcs, creating a hybrid called a Xvart, have low to average intelligence, are lawful evil, and have 1-1 (one minus one) hit dice. FTP, name these humanoid creatures, who, in poem, might get you if you don't watch out.
She had a career year in 1997, winning the Women's Tennis Association's most improved player award and achieving a career-high rank of 3. She also became just the sixth player in the Open Era to defeat two different number ones in the same year--knocking off Martina Hingis at the Sparkassen Cup and knocking Steffi Graf out of last year's French Open. FTP name this player, nicknamed The Little Assassin,a native of South Africa.
ANSWER: Amanda COETZER
This trio was formed in Philadelphia in 1965 as the Four Gents, featuring William and Wilbur Hart, Ritchie Daniels and Randy Cain. Of their 6 charting hits, 4 never made it higher than number 35, with their most successful song being 1968's La La Means I Love You. FTP name this band whose other top 10 hit, Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time is prominently featured in the movie Jackie Brown.
ANSWER: the DELFONICS
Victor Heisenberg isn't known for TV appearances, but in this series, he was the character to find, at least for Ed, played by Jack Noseworthy. Jack was a "neurocybernaut," implanted with a microchip at birth to make him smarter. Learning of the chip's fatal side effects, Ed escaped from
the research facility he was in to find a cure, with researchers in tow trying to get him back . FTP, identify this MTV show which would describe Ed if he failed to find a cure.
ANSWER: DEAD AT 21
Runner-up David Zaback of Seattle entered H&J Leather and Firearms shooting into the air and shouting "This is a stickup," despite the police car parked outside and the sign for "gun club meeting today." The winner, Prakesh Tiwari, got drunk and tried to put a marigold wreath on a zoo tiger. When the tiger did not cooperate, Tiwari kicked it. Needless to say, Zaback and Tiwari are both dead. FTP, both men were up for what "award," given to those who selflessly improve the gene pool by removing themselves from it?
ANSWER: DARWIN AWARD
On the big screen, they met the Keystone Kops, Captain Kidd, Boris Karloff, Frankenstein, the Invisible Man, and the Mummy, as well as joined the Foreign Legion, became Buck Privates, went to Hollywood, and flew to Mars. FTP, name this duo, whose honorary enshrinement in the Baseball Hall of Fame is for their famed Who's on First sketch.
ANSWER: Bud ABBOTT and Lou COSTELLO
She was scheduled to miss the rest of the season with an Achilles injury. However, coaches Geno Auriemma and Harry Perreta agreed to allow her to play the first five seconds of their game. Under the terms of the agreement, the opening tip-off was not be contested by Villanova's Jenn Sliwa. Instead, the tipoff was passed to, FTP, what player, whose layup gave her the career scoring record at UConn?
ANSWER: Nykesha SALES
. Born in England in 1906, his family settled in Brooklyn, and he grew
up there, learning to play the violin at his father's urging. It was on
The Kate Smith Show on radio that he delivered his most famous quote--
asking an usher to take his wife to her seat in the audience. FTP, name
this king of the one-liners who died recently at the age of 91, a stand-up
comic who played himself in the movie Goodfellas.
A: Henny YOUNGMAN
According to the author, the class of objects referred to in the title lie at the interesection of skills, desire, and knowledge. The instantiations referred to in the title are: be proactive; begin with the end in mind; put first things first; think win/win; seek first to understand, then to be understood; synergize; and sharpen the saw. FTP identify this 1989 self-help classic by Stephen Covey, subtitled Powerful Lessons in Personal Change.
ANSWER: The SEVEN HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE
This quintet is made up of two Kentucky cousins - Kevin Richardson and Brian Littrell, and three Florida natives - A.J. McLean, Howie Dorough, and Nick Carter. Named for a popular Orlando market, they first made waves in Europe, where they were MTV Europe's Viewers Choice winners in 1996, as well as Group of the Year in Germany. FTP name this group, who've made Tiger Beat subscribers scream with such neo-New Kids anthems as Quit Playing Games (With My Heart).
ANSWER: BACKSTREET BOYS
Round 2 Bonuses
Given three colleges, name the men's basketball conference those schools athletic teams play in FTPE:
1. Alcorn State, Prairie View A&M, Grambling
ANSWER: SOUTHWEST Athletic Conference (or SWAC)
2. Bethune-Cookman, Howard, Coppin State
ANSWER: MID-EASTERN Athletic Conference (or MEAC)
3. Samford, Campbell, Georgia State
ANSWER: TRANS-ATLANTIC Athletic Conference (or TAAC)
The late 1980s were the golden age of old guy/young guy body switching movies. Identify the body-switcheroo movie from the late '80s from a description FTP each.
1. In this 1987 movie, two accidents with an experimental brain-switching drug at the same moment cause Dudley Moore to switch bodies with his son Kirk Cameron. Predictable hilarity ensues.
ANSWER: LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON
2. In this 1988 movie, a magic voodoo skull causes Judge Reinhold to switch bodies with his son Fred Savage. Predictable hilarity ensues.
ANSWER: VICE VERSA
3. By 1989, the genre was getting old enough for this genre-bender, in which Jason Robards switches bodies with a kid who is *not* his son after a bizarre bicycle accident. Despite having Corey Feldman and Corey Haim, it tried for some serious psychological drama, making it the funniest movie of these three.
ANSWER: DREAM A LITTLE DREAM
Given members associated with it, identify the supergroup FTPE.
1. Power Girl, Bluejay, The Elongated Man
ANSWER: JUSTICE LEAGUE of EUROPE (prompt on JUSTICE LEAGUE)
2. Wildfire, Sun Boy, Shrinking Violet
ANSWER: LEGION OF SUPERHEROES
3. Knockout, Deadshot, Silent Majority
ANSWER: SUICIDE SQUAD
Given an album among Spin magazine's top 10 of 1997, identify the artist FTP each.
a. Dig Me Out ANSWER: SLEATER-KINNEY
b. Dig Your Own Hole ANSWER: CHEMICAL BROTHERS
c. When I Was Born for the 7th Time ANSWER: CORNERSHOP
Ever wondered why the College Bowl Corporation hasn't been on TV the last several years? ID the following game show hosts from shows and descriptions, on a 15-5 basis:
1. 15: he hosted 1981's The Krypton Factor, where contestants battled each other in areas including memory, general knowledge, math, and athleticism
5: people looking for a less complete challenge could try to guess words and phrases from clues from The $25000 Pyramid
ANSWER: Dick CLARK
2. 15: while not a regular game show per se, he did host the NBC special 30th Anniversary College Bowl National Championship.
5: people looking for less complete challenge can buy vowels and watch Vanna touch those screens while he hosts the Wheel of Fortune.
ANSWER: a. Dick CLARK b. Pat SAJAK
Rock and beer. Two great tastes, etcetera etcetera. FTPE, conjoin these beers and popular songs a la "the name game."
1. The distaste of the sharif for beer is sometimes unfounded, as the simple and traditional ingredients of some beers, such as those brewed in glass-lined tanks in Old Latrobe, Pennsylvania, are in fact kosher.
ANSWER: ROLLING ROCK THE CASBAH
2. The Eagles' complaints about "wastin' our time on cheap talk and wine" with a "crowd that was like a cold dark cloud that we could never rise above." were unnecessary, as they could have gone for the appropriate beer, which in this case would be the famously bad winner of Consumer
Reports first beer-tasting contest.
ANSWER: MILWAUKEE'S BEST OF MY LOVE
3. Naughty by Nature called out to every last homie at this whole party to break it down, and they did, because Dave dropped a load of Minnesota microbrew, the second-best-selling microbrew in the U.S. after Sam Adams, on them.
A: O.P.P.ETE'S WICKED Ale
We call them placements...Product Placements. Apparently 007 also has a License To Promote. FTP each, given an item, name the brand conspicuously used by James Bond in Tomorrow Never Dies.
1. Mobile phone
c. Finally, Bond drove a BMW in Tomorrow Never Dies, as he did in Goldeneye. However, it's no longer a Z3. What model Beemer does 007 now drive?
Prove you're not so shallow and I.D. these bands from lesser-known members for fifteen points each, or from their lead singers for five.
1. 15 pts: Sylvan Richardson, Fritz McIntyre, Chris Joye
5 pts: Lead singer Mick Hucknall
ANSWER: SIMPLY RED
2. 15 pts: John Illsey, Hal Lindes, Pick Withers, Alex Clarke
5 pts: Mark Knopfler
ANSWER DIRE STRAITS
When I was a young boy, I used to play that silver ball. As a grown man, I still do. Given terms found on a popular pinball machine, name it FTPE.
1. Axl 3-Ball, Duff Rocks, Riot, Patience, Michelle
ANSWER: GUNS 'N' ROSES
2. Shoot Around Multiball, Million Dollar Shot, Around the World Multiball
ANSWER: NBA FASTBREAK
3. Atomic Blaster, Capture, Stroke of Luck, Total Annihilation,
Rule the Universe
ANSWER: ATTACK FROM MARS
Given a word, give the designer of the perfume by that name. FTPE.
1. Envy ANSWER: GUCCI
2. Egoiste ANSWER: CHANEL
3. Happy ANSWER: CLINIQUE
FTPE, given an episode of South Park, tell me what killed Kenny.
1. Cartman Gets An Anal Probe
ANSWER: hit by a POLICE CAR
2. Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride
ANSWER: TACKLED to death or DECAPITATED by football players
ANSWER: TOUCHED BY DEATH or the GRIM REAPER
Name these lefties and switch-hitters who've made a mark in baseball for the stated number
1. 5 pts: This switch-hitter retired in 1997 with 504 career home runs, more than 32-hundred hits, and over 19-hundred runs batted in, most while in Baltmore.
ANSWER: Eddie MURRAY
2. 10 pts: This southpaw is the all-time leader in saves by a lefty with 359, playing with the Reds and Mets.
ANSWER: John FRANCO
3. 5-15 pts: Only two switch-hitters have hit 40 or more homers in a season. Five points for one, 15 for both, name them. Hint: both did it in the Big Apple - one with the Yankees, the other with the Mets.
ANSWER: Mickey MANTLE, Todd HUNDLEY
In recent years, Super Bowl commercials have been more interesting and memorable than the game itself. Answer these questions about commercials that debuted in Super Bowl 32 FTPE.
1. This actor used a Nokia cellular phone to play Can You Top This with a guy in a pink car.
ANSWER: Drew CAREY
2. He appeared, so to speak, to give Babe Ruth a boost by handing him a Lipton Brisk Iced Tea.
ANSWER: Reggie JACKSON
3. Descending another notch into acting hell was this man, who narrated the woefully inept ad-noir interactive mystery ad for Intel.
ANSWER: Steve MARTIN
Joel Siegel calls this question "the feel-good bonus of the year!" "It's a Must Get," raves Michael Medved! FTP each, and two thumbs up--waaaay up--identify the publications the following film critics write for.
a. Janet Maslin ANSWER: NEW YORK TIMES
b. Peter Travers ANSWER: ROLLING STONE
c. David Ansen ANSWER: NEWSWEEK
ID the musician from works, 30-20-10:
30 pts: "Armageddon," off the EP _Quantum Mechanic_.
20 pts: The single "Airhead," off of _Aliens Ate My Buick_.
10 pts: The single "She Blinded Me with Science," from _The Golden Age of Wireless_.
ANSWER: Thomas DOLBY
Maybe it's stereotypical, but it seems that supermodels aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. Answer these questions about stupid moves by stupid models for fifteen points each.
1. She said "It was God who made me so beautiful, if I weren't, then I'd be a teacher."
ANSWER: Linda EVANGELISTA
2. This model lost $2000 when her wallet and cash card were stolen. The thief used her ATM code -- which she wrote on the card -- to withdraw the money from her account.
A. FREDERIQUE Van Der Wahl
If you don't have an alternate newspaper handy to read his weekly column, you can keep up with Cecil Adams's column The Straight Dope through the four books of his columns that have been published. FFPE, an extra 5 for all 4, and another 5 points if listed in order of publication,
name these four books.
ANSWER: THE STRAIGHT DOPE, MORE OF THE STRAIGHT DOPE, RETURN OF THE STRAIGHT
DOPE, THE STRAIGHT DOPE TELLS ALL
During the run of the TV show MASH, Hawkeye Pierce lived in the same tent, but with five different bunkmates. FFPE and a bonus 5 for all, name these medicos.
ANSWER: BJ or HUNNICUTT, TRAPPER ("Trapper John") or John MCINTYRE, CHARLES or Charles Emerson WINCHESTER iii, FRANK or BURNS, SPEARCHUCKER JONES
An 11-million dollar hike in the salary cap for 1998 has turned the NFL into a mecca for high-priced free agents, with salary record being set at nine positions for the upcoming season. Name the high-priced player for the stated number of points.
1. 5 pts: Management ripped up this Bay Area signal-caller's contract, and quickly resigned him to a 6-year, 49 million-dollar deal, making him the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL.
ANSWER: Steve YOUNG
2. 10 pts: This All-Pro linebacker with Green Bay and Buffalo signed with Jacksonville for five years at a record 4-point-3 million dollars per.
ANSWER: Bryce PAUP
3. 15 pts: This man became the first punter to earn at least a million dollars a year, when he left Green Bay to sign with the Oilers.
ANSWER: Craig HENTRICH
30-20-10 Name the director given films
30: The Toy, Ladyhawke, Radio Flyer
20: The Omen, Superman, The Goonies
10: The Lethal Weapon Trilogy, Conspiracy Theory
ANSWER: Richard DONNER
FTP each, given some songs, identify these formerly popular bands that time, but hopefully not you, has forgot.
a. Always, Secret Lovers
ANSWER: ATLANTIC STAR
b. Don't You Want Me Baby, Keep Feeling Fascination
ANSWER: HUMAN LEAGUE
c. The One That I Love, Even The Nights Are Better, All Out Of Love
ANSWER: AIR SUPPLY
Identify these Dungeons & Dragons monsters whose names begin with the letter "P"- "P," for "Pleasure!", or "Pathetic", depending on your opinion of D&D- for the stated number of points.
1. 5 pts: This creature lurks on cave roofs and underground ceilings, looking like a stalactite, waits for something to walk beneath it, and falls on it.
2. 10 pts: This creatures haunts blasted and evil mountains. It has the body of an eagle, the head of a stag, casts the shadow of a headless human, and eats human flesh.
3. 15 pts: This cousin of the vampire can be turned with the same difficulty. It appears to be a beautiful woman, but at night its head and internal organs detatch and fly about, slaying the living.