In a 1988 interview with Newsweek, then vice-presidential candidate Dan Quayle cited this 1986 film as his favorite. He demonstrated that point in 1990 when, on a trip to Malaysia, he ordered the pilot to fly over Kuala Lumpur's airport six times before landing, so he could see the end of this comedy. Perhaps Ben Stein reminded him of George Bush, and Mia Sara was his Marilyn. FTP, name this John Hughes comedy, also starring Charlie Sheen, Jennifer Grey, and Matthew Broderick.
ANSWER: FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF
The first two were abandoned, the third one burned down, but the fourth and final one is fabled. Its odd shape made for a 250-foot left field wall and a 60-foot-high straight-away centerfield wall of 483 feet. In its 53 years of use, it was home to an NFL team, an American League team, and 2 National League teams. FTP name this stadium on the Harlem River, torn down in 1964, which called itself the home field for both the Mets and Yankees, as well as the New York Football and Baseball Giants.
ANSWER: POLO GROUNDS
The Human Pinata, No-Talent Celebrity Tag and Extreme Violence Truth or Dare are among their fun little games. They live in New York and like tabloid television, gin and violence, and hate pretty much everything else. FTP, name these hate-filled indie-comic creations of Evan Dorkin,
dairy products gone bad.
ANSWER: MILK AND CHEESE
She first met Oprah Winfrey in 1977, while working together at WJZ-TV in Baltimore. This 42-year-old's syndicated talk show debuted on September 8, 1997, exactly 11 years after Oprah's talk show debuted. Appropriate, since the two are best friends, and Oprah has considered her to be a protege and heir apparent to her own show. FTP, name this Hartford news anchor and talk show host, whose 30-minute King World talk show, according to her contract, cannot be run directly against Oprah's show.
ANSWER: Gayle KING
This condition was long taken as a sign of witchcraft, and was thought to be a food source for demons. Fictional characters with it are generally not witches; of characters with it, only the fortune teller in Kevin Smith's "Mallrats" has witchy ties, and hers are fake. FTP, name this condition, supposedly currently or formerly possessed by Krusty the Klown, Chandler Bing, and Bond villain Scaramanga.
ANSWER: EXTRA or THIRD NIPPLES (accept equivalents)
Marli Brianna Hughes is four years old and from Florida. She enjoys inline skating, dancing and piano. She loves animals and wants to be a veterinarian. Perhaps her vet school bills will get paid as a result of her current gig shilling cereal. FTP, identify the brand Marli now represents, having replaced the youngster who's been the banner carrier since 1974, Mikey?
ANSWER: LIFE Cereal
He finds nothing in his cereal box but cereal, has no dessert with lunch, gets a cavity, forgets the number 16 while counting, can't sit next to a window in the car pool, and has to wear his railroad train pajamas, which he hates. No wonder he wants to move to Australia. FTP, name this unfortunate boy, who in story suffers through a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.
In 1997, this rapper released an album, Return of the One-Hit Wonder. The title is actaually a misnomer, since he had a second hit with 1990's Principal's Office. Born in England in 1967, he earned tuition as an economics student at Southern Cal by penning Wild Thing and Funky Cold Medina for Tone Loc. FTP name this rapper, born Marvin Young, whose latest album's title refers to his 1989 hit Bust A Move.
ANSWER: YOUNG MC (accept Marvin Young before last sentence)
"Inventor" Gary Dahl claimed that each one was individually tested for obedience at Rosarita Beach In Baja Mexico before being selected and boxed. A million sold for $3.95 apiece during 1975, in boxes including instructions on housetraining like: "Place it on some old newspapers. It
wll never know what the paper is for and will require no further instruction." FTP, identify this fad phenomenon, which featured a builder's supply store in San Jose's most expensive pebble.
ANSWER: PET ROCK
Written by Arthur Freed, it first was heard in Hollywood Revue of 1929. Around it, and other Freed songs, Adolph Green and Betty Comden later wrote a screenplay about Hollywood during the silent era. FTP, name that tune, also the title of a 1952 film featuring Donald O'Connor, Cyd Charisse, Debbie Reynolds, and Gene Kelly.
ANSWER: SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
This character dies midway through Goldfinger, but when Norman Felton was producing a spy show for NBC, he got permission from Ian Fleming to use the character's name for one of his secret agents. Though the show only lasted four seasons, the name is better known for it than for
the James Bond novel. FTP, give the name of this character played by Robert Vaughn, who battled evil opposite Ilya Kuryakin in _The Man from U.N.C.L.E._.
ANSWER: NAPOLEON SOLO (prompt on 'Solo')
His original name was XP-39C-squared. Despite a career in science which got him on the cover of Time (when he helped show that love makes you stupid), he is generally looked down on. To compensate, he once painted a pouch on his chest and said he was a tiny kangaroo, only to find people hate tiny kangaroos. FTP, name this lab rat, at the bottom of the pecking order in comic strip Dilbert.
This club announced in February 1998 that it would file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, citing $2.5 million in back taxes owed to New York City, as well as a thwarted takeover bid. Its recreational facilities and hotel for its 13-hundred members may be in trouble, but president Peter Junge says
Their annual December ceremony will be unaffected. FTP name this lower Manhattan facility which annually awards the Heisman Trophy.
ANSWER: the DOWNTOWN ATHLETIC CLUB
He is the subject of Poison's Unskinny Bop, although his own music career has been limited to playing a piano painted on the rear end of an overweight woman. Now mostly a director, as an actor he was called The Hedgehog for his roly-poly shape and mat of spiky brown hair covering his chest and back. FTP, name this porn star, popular despite his appearance for the reliability of his erection.
ANSWER: Ron JEREMY
He appeared in Roger Corman's Frankenstein Unbound in 1990,as well as 1986's Dogs in Space, a film about the 1970'sMelbourne punk scene. His lady friends have included Kylie Minogue and Paula Yates, with whom he had a daughter. Founder of the band Max Q, he joined musical forces with the Farris brothers in 1977, and was to go on a 20th anniversary tour with them. FTP name this man, found dead in a Sydney hotel room in 1997, the lead singer of INXS.
ANSWER: Michael HUTCHENCE
"Make enough money, and everything else will follow" was the first. The fiscal tack continued with "There is no embarrasing way to make money." FTP, give the name for these aphorisms, and others such as "It's not about winning, it's about winning ugly that matters" and, simply, "Bygones", gems of wisdom dispensed by and named for the senior partner at the law firm employing TV's Ally McBeal.
ANSWER: FISHISMs (accept Richard FISH before "aphorisms")
The secret message, on level 55, really isn't very exciting, but the game is. In it, you try to snatch treasure while avoiding killer drones. Your only weapon is a device capable of temporarily opening holes in brick, but not stone. And even if you trap the drones in brick when the hole closes, they come back. FTP, name this 1980s home computer game, a classic by Broderbund.
ANSWER: LODE RUNNER
While serving in World War II, this actor had a five-thousand dollar bounty placed on him to any German flier who captured him, dead or alive. Honorably discharged on June 12, 1944 by Army Captain Ronald Reagan, he returned to Hollywood, where he had failed his first screen test in the 1920s because of his big ears. FTP, name this actor, who became a Hollywood legend when he told Vivien Leigh he didn't give a damn.
ANSWER: Clark GABLE
It hardly seems fair that the person who caused the nuclear annihilation of the planet is the only one left to comment on it, but that was the scenario created by Gabriele Kerner and her back-up band in 1984. But then again armageddon has never been so danceable, and you could take blame off the singer by blaming the bugs in the software that flashed the message something's out there in, FTP, what German-language one-hit wonder with an English B-side, whose band was collectively known as Nena.
ANSWER: 99 LUFTBALLONS (accept: 99 RED BALLOONS)
This shortstop started his major league career with the Angels in 1979 and finished with the Brewers in 1993, but he spent most of his career in Philadelphia and Houston. He was an All-Star in 1983 and led the Astros in home runs that year with 20, but he was never the same player after the fifth game of the 1984 season. FTP name this shortstop who lost a season and a half of his career--and unfortunately much of his talent--after a vicious beaning by the Mets' Mike Torrez in April 1984.
ANSWER: Dickie THON
It's located at 7307 Melrose in West Hollywood. Founded in 1974 and taking its name from a Shakespearean term for the lower-class members of an audience, its alumni include Cheri Oteri, Will Ferrel, Paul Reubens, Conan O'Brien, and Phil Hartman. FTP, name this LA improv troupe
which has eclipsed Second City as the top breeding ground for Saturday Night Live castmembers.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you. Share everything. Play fair. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together. Don't hit people. Clean up your own mess. Flush. These are some of the things we learned, for 10 points, where, according to aphorism guru Robert Fulghum?
His current jobs are as spokesperson for PlayNet Technologies, a touch-screen game and entertainment company, and commissioner for the new Professional Gamers League. He founded the Chuck E. Cheese restaurant chain, but was forced to sell in 1985 after filing
for bankruptcy. In 1972, after failing to join forces with pinball maker Bally, he founded his own company, which roughly translates as "checkmate" in Japanese. FTP, name this electrical engineer, creator of Pong and Atari.
A: Nolan BUSHNELL
Oscar-winner Mercedes Ruehl, Too Close For Comfort's Deborah VanValkenburgh, and Twin Peaks' David Patrick Kelly all debuted in this picture. Taken from a Sol Yurick novel, itself based on Xenophon's "Anabasis," the film allegedly inspired copycat violence upon its release in 1979. FTP, name this Walter Hill offering in which the title characters battle the Orphans, Baseball Furies, and Lizzies on their way home to Coney Island.
ANSWER: THE WARRIORS
"I had this beer brewed up just for me. I think it's the best I ever tasted, and I've tasted a lot. I think you'll like it, too." This testimonial appeared on every can of a beverage marketed by Falls City Brewing Company in 1977, which also claimed to be brewed "with the personal approval of one of America's all-time great beer drinkers." FTP, name this '70s relic which caused great embarrassment to a sitting president, the brother of one of America's all-time great beer drinkers.
ANSWER: BILLY BEER
Like any family, the Simpsons like to take in an amusement park or other such attraction. Of course, the attractions they go to are unlike those you or I have seen. FTPE, given a brief description of such a place, name it.
1. This waterpark's theme song encourages kids to sing "I want to go- take me take me take me take me now now now!"
ANSWER: MOUNT SPLASHMORE
2. It bills itself as "The Most Violentest Place on Earth."
ANSWER: ITCHY AND SCRATCHY LAND
3. Part of a larger attraction, this animal exhibit is filled with unhappy-looking drunken fish
A: DUFF BEERQUARIUM
When one looks back at a presidency, one needs not the tome of an historian to judge a chief executive's performance. Rather, one needs Dave Barry. Given a presidential highlight from the book "Dave Barry Slept Here," name the President FTPE.
A. When this President was awash in scandal, he showed the class Richard Nixon could only dream about by dropping dead.
ANSWER: Warren HARDING
B. This President was the first to play a round of golf and take a nap in the same day.
ANSWER: Dwight EISENHOWER
C. This 19th century President's lone highlight? The Earth didn't crash into the sun.
A: Millard FILLMORE
Never mind the 90's, it's the 80's that ruled. Given one line to a popular 1980's song, name it FTPE. If you need the artist, you'll receive five points.
A. (10) Suckin on chili dogs, outside the Tastee-Freez
(5) John Cougar
ANSWER: JACK AND DIANE
B. (10) Write it on a pound note, pound note
(5) Adam Ant
ANSWER: GOODY TWO SHOES
C. (10) I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools
(5) Alan Parsons Project
ANSWER: EYE IN THE SKY
FTPE name these tennis players who, to date anyway, are Grand Slam one-hit wonders.
1. This Czech player's career has been marked by brilliant but erratic play. But at age 30, he finally won his first Slam at the 1998 Australian Open.
ANSWER: Petr KORDA
2. This Spaniard made the women's finals of the '98 Australian Open, her first Slam final since her stunning 1994 win at Wimbledon.
ANSWER: Conchita MARTINEZ
3. Though he's been consistently ranked in the top 5 for almost a decade, this American hasn't won a Grand Slam singles title since the 1989 French Open.
A: Michael CHANG
Thanks to the movie within a movie Stab!, several characters in the Scream movies have been played by multiple people. Given a Scream character, identify the pair of actors or actresses who have played them, F5P per answer.
1. Sidney Prescott A: Neve CAMPBELL, Tori SPELLING
2. Casey Becker A: Drew BARRYMORE, Heather GRAHAM
3. Billy Loomis A: Skeet ULRICH, Luke WILSON
TRASH urges you to practice safe bonus conversion. Doing well here would be a good start. Identify these condom brands from clues FTPE.
1. Their super-thins prominently claim to be "The Ultimate in Pleasure". They also make the Excita Extra (which is lubricated, extra-thin, *and* ridged) and the new Avanti condom made of polyurethane.
2. Their roster of condom styles include the Ultra Pleasure, the Enz series of reservoir tip condoms, and the Magnum, the *extra*-large condom.
3. They were the first major condom manufacturer to sell flavored condoms. They also have the highest breakage rate of the major brands, which puts a whole new spin on the slogan of their ultra-sensitive model, "almost like using nothing at all."
It's Travels with Kerrie and the Delta Gammas! This time, the sorority girls are headed to the big Barry Manilow concert. But you just can't go to his concert without bringing Manilow mementos. Name these mementos a D-G brings for the stated number of points.
A. (5) Kerrie brings a 45 of this tune, a #1 hit for Barry in 1976, which contrary to the song's title, was penned by Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys.
ANSWER: I WRITE THE SONGS
B. (10) The Deltas drive to the concert in matching Infinities, since this song, a Top 10 hit for Barry in 1978, is used in an Infiniti commercial. In the ad, Ernie Sabella responds to his impending divorce by sawing everything in his home in half, since the wife gets 50% of
ANSWER: CAN'T SMILE WITHOUT YOU
C. (15) The twins bring these two 1994 animated films, both scored by Barry. Name either, one based on a Hans Christian Andersen work, the other featuring Martin Short as the voice of a romantic South Pole creature.
ANSWER: THUMBELINA or THE PEBBLE AND THE PENGUIN
Many great directors' careers have gone out not with a bang but with
a whimper. Given a last film, name its director FTP each.
1. The Dead A: John HUSTON
2. Family Plot A: Alfred HITCHCOCK
3. The Liberation of L.B. Jones A: William WYLER
Remember the Saturday cartoon show Kidd Video? Answer these questions about it for the stated number of points.
1. 5 pts: What was the name of the villain who constantly harassed the band led by Kidd Video?
ANSWER: MASTER BLASTER
2. 10 pts:The Master Blaster was regularly assisted by a band of bumblers known by what collective name?
ANSWER: COPY CATS
3. 15 pts: What was the name of the strange land to which Master Blaster and the Copy Cats had abducted Kidd and his band?
A: the FLIP SIDE
Given the name of an NFL team's cheerleading squad, identify the NFL team they support FTP each.
1. The Goldrush ANSWER: San Francisco 49ers
2. The Heatwave ANSWER: Arizona Cardinals
3. The Jills ANSWER: Buffalo Bills
While Daria Morgendorfer can only lust for Trent Lane, her sister Quinn is a boy magnet, as evidenced by the three guys who seem to follow her everywhere. Unfortunately for them, their very similar names makes it hard for Quinn (or anyone else) to tell them apart; in fact, the only way to really do so is by their hair color. So, FTPE, name...
1. The blond one ANSWER: JAMIE
2. The red-haired one ANSWER: JEFFY
3. The black-haired one ANSWER: JOEY
Answer these questions about the poor man's Aaron Spelling, Leonard B. Stern, FTPE.
1. Stern adapted the 1959 film of the same name to TV, with John Astin taking Cary Grant's role as Lieutenant Commander Matthew Sherman, skipper of the pink submarine Sea Tiger.
ANSWER: OPERATION PETTICOAT
2. While most of Stern's shows would last about a season, this one hung on for 6 seasons from 1971-77. It had Rock Hudson playing a police commissioner married to a hippie-type woman played by Susan St. James.
ANSWER: MACMILLAN AND WIFE
3. More along Stern's career path was Lanigan's Rabbi, a cop-and-rabbi crime solving duo. Who played Lanigan on the show, better known for work on The Cavanaughs and The Jackie Gleason Show?
A: Art CARNEY
He's been called a symbol, The Artist, Victor, and various unprintables. Answer these questions about Prince for the stated number of points.
A. (5) Following the release of Purple Rain, Prince formed his own record label. Name it.
ANSWER: PAISLEY PARK
B. (10) All or nothing, give the Purple One's birth name, first, middle, and last.
ANSWER: PRINCE ROGERS NELSON
C. (15) Prince wrote the music for this 1993 rock ballet by the Joffrey.
If you decided not to "Obey Your Thirst" and drink Sprite, perhaps you'd give one─faux-beverages used to promote that Lymon-flavored soda a try. F15P each, name:
1. The "party in a can" which, if you collect enough points by drinking it, you can get a fish or a sock.
2. The quasi-juice drink whose cartoonish stellar mascot has been known to jump off the bottle and chase unsuspecting mothers and children.
Like father, like son. Name these father-and-son members of sports halls of fames. Five points for one, 15 points for both. First and last names required.
1. Dad was president of both the Yankees and Dodgers and was inducted into Cooperstown in 1978. The son served as American League president from 1974-1983, and was inducted into Cooperstown in 1998.
ANSWER: LARRY and LEE MACPHAIL
2. Dad founded the New York Giants in 1925 and was in the first class of Canton inductees in 1963. The son received co-ownership of the Giants in 1931 at age 14, and has held it ever since. He was inducted into Canton in 1997.
A: TIM and WELLINGTON MARA
Ross Perot for President, 7-Up to drink, ABC on the TV, and Wendy's for fast food. Yes, its hard being third. Still, the fast food could be worse. Answer these questions about Wendy's FFPE, with a bonus five for all correct.
1. What do they call milkshakes at Wendy's?
2. Youve probably heard Dave yammering about his new pitas. But have you, or anyone, actually tried one? Or at least, FFPE, can you name the four types of pitas at Wendy's?
ANSWER: GARDEN RANCH CHICKEN, CHICKEN CAESAR, CLASSIC GREEK, GARDEN VEGGIE
Identify these "earthy" TV shows from descriptions.
1. FFP, Set in the year 2192, this 1994-95 series was the story of a group of colonists who set out to establish humanity on another planet, which was already inhabited with such alien creatures as Grendlers, Kobas, and Tim Curry.
2. FTP, This cartoon evolved -- so to speak -- in 1995 from a video game about an annelid who gained superpowers when a "supersuit" fell on him from outer space.
ANSWER: EARTHWORM JIM
3. F15P, in one of Gil Gerard's lower ebbs, he played Dr. John Harding in this show, in which a dying philanthropist put together a group of scientists to battle the destruction of the environment. It happened to be the first show cancelled in the 1990-91 season, after three episodes.
A: E.A.R.T.H. FORCE
Time to see if you were paying attention to the mailing list recently. If not, a trip to alt.folklore.urban will do. Just to prove the naysayers wrong, and given that the derivation of the term is uncertain, what might the phrase "the whole nine yards" mean to you if you were:
1. A fighter pilot in WWII?
ANSWER: The length of a chain of bullets in your guns -- if you've shot it, you've gone "the whole nine yards."
2. An English tailor?
ANSWER: The amount of cloth required to make a three piece suit -- if you're making one, you're using "the whole nine yards."
3. A bricklayer?
ANSWER: The volume of a cement truck -- if you've used a truck's worth of concrete, you've gone "the whole nine yards."
(Moderator discretion as to whether the way the players tell the stories demonstrates sufficient knowledge. Generally speaking, give it to them if they get the stuff before the hyphens.)
In today's pro basketball, if you're only making a million per year, you're considered mediocre. Given an NBA team, name their highest-paid player for the 1997-98 season, according to USA Today, for the stated number of points.
1. 5 pts: New York Knicks A: Patrick EWING ($20.5M in 97-98)
2. 10 pts: Philadelphia 76ers A: Derrick COLEMAN ($8M)
3. 15 pts: Vancouver Grizzlies A: Bobby HURLEY ($3.5M)
Name these Razzie Awards for worst song for the stated number of points.
A. (5) Tag Team's only claim to fame was this rap ditty, which captured Worst Song honors in 1993 as part of the Addams Family Values soundtrack. This, despite being the most popular song of 1993, according to Billboard.
ANSWER: WHOOMP! THERE IT IS
B. (10) George Michael's first foray as a solo artist came with this song, from the Beverly Hills Cop 2 soundtrack, which earned George Worst Song honors in 1987.
ANSWER: I WANT YOUR SEX
C. (15) Likely the only award Iron Maiden will ever receive, the metalheads won a 1989 Razzie for this contribution to the Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child soundtrack.
ANSWER: BRING YOUR DAUGHTER TO THE SLAUGHTER
F15P each, identify these notorious short animated parodies from a description.
a. This 1978 spoof features characters such as 4-Q-2, Ham Salad, and Fluke Starbucker traveling through an outer space mostly inhabited by household appliances. A new updated version was released in 1997.
ANSWER: HARDWARE WARS
b. This 1987 film by Todd Haynes is satirical but also sympathetic in its portrayal of a deceased pop music star. All characters are portrayed as Barbie dolls, and the title character has the plastic scraped away as she succumbs more and more to her anorexia.
A: SUPERSTAR: The Karen Carpenter Story (prompt on: The Karen Carpenter Story)
Identify these computers from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for the stated number of points.
1. 5 pts: This computer was built by a higher dimensional race to find the answer to life, the universe and everything. It found the Answer was 42, but could not determine the Question.
ANSWER: DEEP THOUGHT
2. 10 pts: Designed by Deep Thought to determine the Question, this planet-sized computer was blown up minutes before it could do so.
3. 15 pts: This supercomputer directed the Krikkiters on their galaxy-destroying rampage, designed the Nova Bomb, and almost tricked Arthur Dent into using the Nova Bomb to blow up the galaxy.