1998 TRASH Regionals
- Do you have the power? The power of Greyskull? Let's find out. Answer
the following questions about He-Man for the stated number of points.
-  Give the name and full title of He-Man's alternate identity.
ANSWER: ADAM, PRINCE OF ETERNIA
-  FFPE, give the name of He-Man's mount, and the name of the
creature He-Man's mount turned back into when He-Man reverted to Prince
Adam of Eternia.
ANSWER: BATTLECAT, CRINGER
-  This He-Man character was originally a xenophobe who guarded a
mountain pass. When He-Man tried to pass, he fought He-Man and won,
leading Skeletor to recruit him to destroy He-Man and Castle Greyskull. He
went along with it until he realized that Skeletor was the bad guy, at
which point he helped He-Man defeat Skeletor and joined the good guys.
- Time to make the doughnuts bonus. Identify these things you might get at Dunkin' Donuts FTPE.
- Dunkin' Donuts attempt to cash in on the coffee craze, it consists of
coffee, ice, milk, and hazelnut and other flavors.
ANSWER: COFFEE COOLATA
- Dunkin' Donuts makes many "creme" fillings. FFPE, name the two "creme"
fillings that have geographic identities.
ANSWER: BOSTON, BAVARIAN
- This is Dunkin' Donuts name for doughnut holes.
- It's almost Christmas, so you better be shopping for the geek in
your life. Given a geeky computer peripheral, tell me who makes it, FTPE:
-  The 3D Blaster Voodoo2
ANSWER: CREATIVE LABS
-  The WingMan game controller
-  the QuickCam digital camera
- 1996 wasn't that long ago, but in TV time it's ancient history.
FTPE, given information from a series that debuted that year only to
become ancient history itself, name it.
- Real life husband and wife Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen played a
divorced couple working at the same newspaper on this CBS bomb.
- Christine Taylor, fresh from playing Marcia Brady on the big
screen, takes a small-screen role playing a character Parker Posey did on
the big screen. Librarian by day, clubber by night, Fox dumped it
ANSWER: PARTY GIRL
- A liberal with hair like old Michael Bolton on a bad day takes a
teaching job at a conservative private school. Named for its little
known stand-up lead, NBC quickly yanked it, thankfully returning him to
ANSWER: MR. RHODES
- Name the comic-book Avenger from a short bio FTPE.
- Real name Bonita Juarez, she allied with Avengers West to fight
Master Pandemoneum. When The Thing was chosen for full membership over her
she left, but returned to help fight Dominus. She declined full membership
later, prefering to work solo.
- He was a former founding member of the Invaders, the All-Winners
Squad, the Defenders and the Deep Six. Part human and part Atlantean, he is
among the Avengers believed dead after their battle with Onslaught. He was
married to Marrina.
ANSWER: SUB-MARINER (prompt on "Prince Namor" or "Namor")
- Long-time confidant of Tony Stark, James Rhodes took this persona
after leaving Stark's employ. While his original armored suit was designed
by Stark, he has replaced that suit with one of alien armor. He was a member
of Avengers West until they disbanded.
ANSWER: WAR MACHINE
- Given a trio of characters from Monty Python's Flying Circus, name
the Python who played them FTPE.
- Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson, Joseph Montgolfier, Scottish poet Ewan
ANSWER: TERRY JONES
- Biggles, Raymond Luxury-Yacht (pronounced "throat-wobbler
mangrove"), Mr. Neutron
ANSWER: Graham CHAPMAN
- the barber who wants to be a lumberjack, Cardinal Ximinez, Mr.
ANSWER: Michael PALIN
- They say that Kevin Costner can play only one role, that of Kevin
Costner. However, the insightful student of cinema can distinguish them,
because Mr. Costner has been so kind to give them all different names.
Given a movie featuring Kevin, give the name of the character he played
for the stated number of points.
-  Bull Durham
ANSWER: Crash DAVIS
-  Field of Dreams
ANSWER: Ray KINSELLA
-  Waterworld
-  Madonna: Truth or Dare
ANSWER: Kevin COSTNER or HIMSELF
- Iım not sure what theyıre doing on the ³Music First²
network, but the VH-1 Fashion Awards were in late October. F10PE, who
- Most Stylish Music Video (artist and title, please)?
ANSWER: JANET JACKSON, 'GOT TIL IT'S GONE'
- Most Stylish Artist?
- Best Personal Style, Male? hint: heıs not a musician, but he has recorded albums.
ANSWER: Chris ROCK
- FTPE, name the member of the Quartermaine clan, as seen on General Hospital, from a description.
- The patriarch of the family, he founded the family company that
bears his initials. He's married to Lila. Among his kids are two
illegitimate sons, Jimmy Lee Holt and Bradley Ward.
ANSWER: EDWARD Lewis Quartermaine
- She is the adopted daughter of Monica and Alan Quartermaine, who
took her in after her mom Paige died. She ran away to find her missing
aunt Carrie, but did not succeed.
ANSWER: EMILY Bowen Quartermaine
- The daughter of Edward and Lila, she failed to take the helm of
ELQ, but schemed to get her son Ned made CEO. She was disowned in 1980
when she refused to get help for Edward when he faked a heart attack.
ANSWER: TRACY Quartermaine Ashton Williams Hornsby
- Prior to the 1998 season, only 11 quarterbacks have thrown
for 4-thousand yards in a single season in NCAA Division 1-A football.
Name these members of the four thousand club FTPE.
- The only player to do it more than once, this quarterback
passed for more than four thousand yards in 1989, 1990, and 1991, all for
ANSWER: Ty DETMER
- These two University of Houston quarterbacks hit the
four-thousand mark in 1989 and 1990. FTP, name either one.
ANSWER: Andre WARE or David KLINGLER
- This current NFC Central quarterback threw for four-thousand yards while a Utah Ute in 1988.
ANSWER: Scott MITCHELL
- Remember the "Superbowl Shuffle" parody "We Are The Kickers" from
Saturday Night Live? Well, do you know the names of NFL kickers? Given
an NFL team, name its current (as of October 1998) placekicker for the
stated number of points.
-  Denver Broncos
ANSWER: Jason ELAM
-  Chicago Bears
ANSWER: Jeff JAEGER
-  Indianapolis Colts
ANSWER: Mike VANDERJAGT
- Steve Sodergergh may be the luckiest film maker in the world.
- FTP, Soderbergh gained international acclaim in 1989 for what Palme
d'Or winning film, in which he directed Andie McDowell, Peter Gallagher,
and Laura San Giacamo?
ANSWER: SEX, LIES AND VIDEOTAPE
- Soderbergh returned to the mainstram big screen this summer, FTP,
with what adaptation of an Elmore Leonard novel?
ANSWER: OUT OF SIGHT
- In between sex, lies, and videotape and Out Of Sight, Sodergergh
directed five films, all of which were low-budget art-type films. FTP,
name any one of them.
ANSWER: KAFKA, KING OF THE HILL, UNDERNEATH, SCHIZOPOLIS or GRAY'S ANATOMY
- This comic strip, the creation of Michael Fry and T. Lewis, take a
humorous look at a raccoon and turtle as they watch the X-Files and filch
food off of backyard grills while trying to cope with suburban
encroachment on their home. FTPE, name the comic strip and its two
ANSWER: OVER THE HEDGE, R. J., VERNE
- I donıt want to hear any complaining about this Def Leppard
bonus; donıt you realize some people would give their left arms to
hear this? Not counting their greatest-hits collection, ³Vault,²
Def Leppard has released seven albums. Name any six for 5 points each.
ANSWER: ON THROUGH THE NIGHT, HIGH 'N' DRY, PYROMANIA, HYSTERIA, ADRENALIZE, RETRO ACTIVE, SLANG
- Legendary music producer George Martin ended his career with In My
Life, featuring musicians and actors reinterpreting Beatles songs.
F5PE, tell who performs the following songs on In My Life
- Here, There, and Everywhere
ANSWER: Celine DION
- I Am The Walrus
ANSWER: Jim CARREY
- A Day In The Life
ANSWER: BECK Hansen
- In My Life
ANSWER: Sean CONNERY
- Come Together
ANSWER: Bobby McFERRIN and Robin WILLIAMS
- A Hard Days Night
ANSWER: Goldie HAWN
- ID the serial killer from people he killed, for the stated number of points:
-  Mary Ann Nichols, Catharine Eddowes, Mary Jane Kelly
ANSWER: JACK THE RIPPER
-  Mary Sullivan, Joann Graff, Evelyn Corbin
ANSWER: Albert DE SALVO or the BOSTON STRANGLER
-  Rudolf Scheer, Gertrud Alberman, Ida Reuter, Maria Hahn
ANSWER: Peter KURTEN or the DUSSELDORF VAMPIRE
- 30-20-10, name the fictional character.
-  Born in 1890, he was the younger son of the 15th Duke of Denver.
Educated at Eton and Balliol College, he won a Distinguished Service Order
in World War I.
-  He proved Harriet Vane didn't commit murder in Strong Poison, and
they later married. They have three kids. Rounding out their household
is his valet, Bunter.
-  An emmisary for Britain's Foreign Office and amateur sleuth, this
resident of 110 Piccadilly is the creation of Dorothy L. Sayers.
ANSWER: Lord Peter WIMSEY
- Answer the following questions about Richard LaGravenese's directorial debut, FTPE:
- ID this movie about a lonely nurse jilted by her husband, and her doorman.
ANSWER: LIVING OUT LOUD
- This woman plays the female lead in Living Out Loud, bringing experience from dozens of films, including Broadcast News, The Piano, and Crash.
ANSWER: Holly HUNTER
- Holly Hunter's doorman has played in Get Shorty and Renaissance Man, but his masterwork was the voice of the Grundle King in My Little Pony: The Movie.
ANSWER: Danny DEVITO (Tell 'em it was Queen Latifah if you want. If they buy it 'til the end of the next tossup, tell all your buddies about it in the tab room between rounds. Ah, the power we wield!)
- 30-20-10, name the hockey player.
-  He is the only player in NHL history to amass at least
1000 assists with only one team.
-  He is the only non-goaltender to win the Calder Trophy and
make the All-Star game's first team in his rookie year, in his case 1979-
is also the only player to make the All-Star game in every season of his
-  A five time Norris Trophy winner, this defenseman won the
1996 All-Star Game MVP award, as he scored the game winning goal in front
of his home crowd at Boston's Fleet Center.
ANSWER: Raymond Jean BORQUE
- Given a group of game shows, name the cable channel that spawned them FTPE.
- Fandango, Top Card, 10 Seconds
ANSWER: TNN or THE NASHVILLE NETWORK
- Bumper Stumpers, Free 4 All, Love Me Love Me Not
- Baby Races, Masters of the Maze, That's My Dog
ANSWER: The FAMILY CHANNEL
- ID these bands F15PE:
- Michael Sweet, Robert Sweet, Oz Fox, and Timothy Gaines made up this band, which released The Yellow and Black Attack in 1984 and Soldiers Under Command in 1985.
- Their name comes from the Greek word for rock. You might have seen them on their current "God Fixation" tour.
- Kevin Costner sucks donkey. Given a brief description, ID the films in
which Costner sucked FTPE.
- Kev reaches a whole new level, drinking his own urine in this sci-fi bomb.
- Mary Stewart Masterson plays his daughter at the
merciful end of this three-hour long borefest very, very
loosely based on a good sci-fi book.
ANSWER: The POSTMAN (do NOT accept Il Postino; give anyone who
guesses that the king mother of dirty
- Type casting at its finest: because all the flashbacks
were cut, Kev is relegated to playing his most realistically
rendered role--a corpse.
A. THE BIG CHILL