1998 TRASH Regionals
- In the R&B world, it's all in the family. Name these three family
acts from their first names and some career info, f10PE:
- O'Kelly, Rudolph and Ronald hit with "Shout" in 1959,
followed by "Twist and Shout "in 1962.
- "Pops," and his daughters Cleotha, Pervis, Yvonne and Mavis
started recording in 1954, but didn't hit number one until 1972 with
"I'll Take You There."
- All there is to say about Kathi, Debbi, Kim and Joni is that
ANSWER: a. The ISLEY BROTHERS b. The STAPLE SINGERS c. SISTER SLEDGE
- The unsolved 1975 murder of Martha Moxley continues to provide
material for writers of reality-based fiction. FTPE, name the authors behind
books based on the killing.
- He fictionalized the murder in A Season In Purgatory, and then got
to see hacks like Patrick Dempsey and Sherilyn Fenn torture it as a CBS
ANSWER: Dominick DUNNE
- Murder in Greenwich followed up his first novel, Murder in
Brentwood. Unlike the Moxley case, he was a pivotal player in the case that
his first book was based on, the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron
ANSWER: Mark FUHRMAN
- The continued interest in Moxley's case comes from her body being
found near the home of Tommy Skakel, nephew of what Kennedy?
- Given a college fight song, as listed in the book The
Official Guide to College and University Fight Songs, name the NCAA
Division I school that uses it for the stated number of points.
-  Spirit of Aggie Land
ANSWER: TEXAS A&M
-  On the Banks of the Old Raritan
-  Fight Raiders, Fight
ANSWER: TEXAS TECH
- Answer these questions on World Series home run leaders FTPE.
- This Yankee great is the all-time leader in World Series home runs with 18.
ANSWER: Mickey MANTLE
- This outfielder ranks second to Mantle in career World Series homers with 15.
ANSWER: Babe RUTH
- The only non-Yankee in the top five is this former Brooklyn Dodger, who hit 11 World Series homers, good for fourth all-time.
ANSWER: Duke SNIDER
- Satires of band documentaries are almost a genre in themselves. ID these movies that fit the description, FTPE:
- The most famous of the genre, this film claims to be Marti DeBergi's documentary about the world's loudest band, and became so successful that the band was really created in reaction.
ANSWER: THIS IS SPINAL TAP
- This Eric Idle film parodies many Beatlemania documentaries with a profile about the Pre-Fab Four -- Dirk, Barry, Nasty and Stig.
ANSWER: ALL YOU NEED IS CASH or THE RUTLES.
- This send-up of Scorcese's film about The Band's last concert features John Candy and Eugene Levy as polka kings Yosh and Stan Schmenge.
ANSWER: The LAST POLKA
- 30-20-10, Name the artist:
-  In 1988, he was sued by Junior Walker for ripping off Walker's song "Roadrunner."
-  His first successful solo album was Arc of a Diver
-  A former member of Traffic, the Spencer Davis Group and Blind Faith; his solo hits include Back in the High Life Again and Roll With It.
ANSWER: Steve (Stevie) WINWOOD
- FTPE, name the real-life person from their use by the folks from
Monty Python's Flying Circus.
- This director was said to have helmed the film Salad Days, a Jazz
Era film where gaily-dressed men and women thinking about a nice game of
tennis wind up dismembered and bleeding profusely.
ANSWER: Sam PECKINPAH
- This composer had his own show, which was the first sketch of the
first episode. His show featured and scored famous deaths, and fulfilled
deaths requested by its home audience.
ANSWER: Wolfgang Amadeus MOZART
- While we don't see him, Mrs. Premise and Mrs. Conclusion travel to
Paris to ask this author which of them has the correct meaning of his
trilogy Roads to Freedom.
ANSWER: Jean Paul SARTRE
- While Ellen DeGeneres may still be looking for work, the co-stars
from her self-named sitcom seem to have landed on their feet. FTPE,
given a synopsis and former Ellen co-star, name their current show.
- Jeremy Piven stars as a Chicagoan who is under the impression that
he is this ABC show's title deity.
- Clea Lewis brings her annoying voice to this CBS sitcom to play the
boss of the show's title character, who is herself played by a former
ANSWER: MAGGIE WINTERS
- David Anthony Higgins, the largish Canadian employee at Ellen's
bookstore, now appears in this WB sitcom, whose greatest achievement is
that it is still on the air (as of mid-October, at least).
ANSWER: The ARMY SHOW
- Name the current albums from these country artists, 10PE:
- Lyle Lovett
ANSWER: STEP INSIDE THIS HOUSE
- Deana Carter
ANSWER: EVERYTHING'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT
ANSWER: BIG BACKYARD BEAT SHOW
- LeAnn Rimes
ANSWER: SITTIN' ON TOP OF THE WORLD
- Faith Hill
- George Strait
ANSWER: ONE STEP AT A TIME
- Who says that cartoons can't promote family values? Identify the
following church-sponsored cartoons for the stated number of points.
-  The classic of the genre, this Lutheran Church project tells the
story of the Hansen family- Mom, Dad, sister Sally, and the titular
feckless boy and wise dog of the family. Oddly, while the dog is wiser
than the boy, the boy has the name of the wiser biblical figure.
ANSWER: DAVEY AND GOLIATH
-  A new series of this title, "The New Adventures," has been
released by Pat Robertson's CBN. The new series claims to have removed the
extremely unflattering portrayals of Jews in the original series, but the
original concept -- a bunch of kids are teleported back to biblical days by
the titular object, a Bible -- remains.
-  Usually shown as a double-bill with "Superbook," this CBN show
also features kids going back into biblical times, but without ever
leaving home- home does the leaving.
ANSWER: The FLYING HOUSE
- The theatre world¹s biggest buzz this year revolves around Lincoln Center¹s star-laden production of Twelfth Night. Identify the actors who play the given roles, FTPE:
ANSWER: Helen HUNT
ANSWER: Kyra SEDGWICK
ANSWER: Paul RUDD
- Every summer, a new batch of child stars try to make it big
in the movies. Name these child stars who tried to make the A-list in
- Currently seen as Christine Lahti's daughter on Chicago Hope,
this nine-year-old captivated audiences as Bernice in Hope Floats.
ANSWER: Mae WHITMAN
- This nine-year-old Londoner gives Frances McDormand a run for
her money as Madeline.
ANSWER: Hatty JONES
- This unknown made her film debut taking the Hayley Mills role
in Disney's remake of The Parent Trap.
ANSWER: Lindsay LOHAN
- Flo-Jo isn't the only former professional athlete to die recently.
Identify these others for the stated number of points.
- F5P, Ricky Williams of Texas wore #37 for a game to mourn the passing of this legendary Texas and NFL running back.
ANSWER: Doak WALKER
- F5P, one of the first true closers, this former Kansas City Royal died of brain cancer at age 46.
ANSWER: Dan QUISENBERRY
- FTP, this former Oiler and Seahawk defensive lineman became the most
famous athlete to die of Lou Gehrig's disease since, well, you know.
ANSWER: Glenn MONTGOMERY
- FTP, dead at the age of 83, he was the first successful T-formation
quarterback, leading the Bears to a 73-0 victory in the 1940 NFL
ANSWER: Sid LUCKMAN
- ID the movie from quotes:
- "I don't think so. We just cut up our girlfriend with a chainsaw. Does that sound 'fine'?"
ANSWER: EVIL DEAD 2
- "These are great days we're living, bros! We are jolly green giants, walking the earth with guns. These
people we wasted here today are the finest human beings we will ever know. After we rotate back to the world,
we're gonna miss not having anyone around that's worth shooting."
ANSWER: FULL METAL JACKET
- "You just shot an unarmed man!" "Well, he should'a armed himself."
- 30-20-10-5 ID this historic practice.
-  Before the time of Louis IX, it was only permitted in cases of lese majeste,
rape, arson or burglary, but soon became legal in all cases. It's also the name of a Swervedriver song,
off of Mezcal Head.
-  In Malta in was permitted on one particular street; anywhere else, its practitioners would be arrested. It is also one
of the two words in the name of a role-playing game put out by Steve Jackson Games, also called "Car Wars".
-  It's most famous adherents were Alexander Hamilton and -- what am I thinking? This is a trash tournament!
It's most famous adherents were a banjo and a guitar -- not two banjos -- in a John Boorman movie.
- Complete these musical chains, 15PE:
- The AC/DC hit from the film Maximum Overdrive, Bob Mould's first
band, Culture Club's first song to chart in the US.
ANSWER: WHO MADE HUSKER DU YOU REALLY WANT TO HURT ME?
- The one hit from one-hit wonders Primitive Radio gods, The second
single from Jagged Little Pill, the Spin Doctors' first album
ANSWER: STANDING OUTSIDE A BROKEN PHONE BOOTH WITH MONEY IN MY HAND IN MY POCKET FULL OF KRYPTONITE
- lt's the true story of seven gen Xers picked to live in an over-
decorated pier and be videotaped to the top ten alternative hits. Prove
you're a hep cat keeping up with the Real World Seattle and name the cast
members from clues, FTPE.
- He calls his huge penis the "eighth roommate" and actually showed
it to his female roommates.
- She has pictures of her colon and was once attacked by pigeons.
- According to Dave (during the early episodes when he still hoped to
score with her) this eighteen-year-old blonde has "an old soul."
- Hot on the heels of Teletubbies, PBS has imported another British
kiddie favorite, NODDY. This new version recycles existing cartoons within
a new backdrop, a curiosity shop with the acronymic title NODDY. F5PE and
a 5-point bonus for all five, tell what the letters in NODDY stand for in
the new series.
ANSWER: NOTIONS, ODDITIES, DOODADS and DELIGHTS of YESTERDAY
- Show that you've visited the ground floor of the mall's anchor store,
and, given a kind of fragrance, give its designer for the stated number of
-  Obsession
ANSWER: Calvin Klein
-  212
ANSWER: CAROLINE HERRERA
-  White Diamonds
ANSWER: ELIZABETH TAYLOR
- Gone but not forgotten, the Hartford Whalers made some history,
almost all of it bad. FTPE, answer these questions about the Whale's checkered
- On April 11, 1975, the Whalers were one of the teams involved in the
game which set the W-H-A record for most penalty minutes at 241. What
aptly named team was their opponent, a team formerly coached by Herb
ANSWER: MINNESOTA FIGHTING SAINTS
- This Hall of Famer spent his final three seasons with the
Whalers, retiring after the 1979-80 season, his 32nd season in pro
ANSWER: Gordie HOWE
- In 1995, this player came to the Whalers when he was traded
for Chris Pronger. After a 77 point season which didn't lead to the playoffs, he
demanded to be traded. Eventually he was traded to Detroit for Paul
Coffey and Keith Primeau, where he continues to shine as a Red Wing.
ANSWER: Brendan SHANAHAN
- Now she's separated from Renny Harlin, will Geena Davis get any more movie roles? ID these movies on which the director/actress/husband/wife duo worked together for the stated number of points:
-  Their most recent work was this 1996 film in which Davis played a brainwashed spy opposite city detective Samuel L. Jackson.
ANSWER: The LONG KISS GOODNIGHT
-  Before The Long Kiss Goodnight was this swashbuckling stinker that sank at the box office, featuring Geena the pirate warrior. She wins the Jane Fonda "Barbarella" award for letting your husband talk you into anything.
ANSWER: CUTTHROAT ISLAND
-  Renny only produced this 1994 film about love between political speechwriters. Geena Davis starred -- but then, you knew that.
- FTPE, answer these questions about Gordianus the Finder, the Roman-era
detective at the center of Steven Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa series of
- When we first meet Gordianus, he lives above the Subura, a rough and
tumble neighborhood, on what hill of Rome?
- His slave in Roman Blood, she later becomes his wife. Name this
Alexandrine who shares her name with a Maryland city.
- An orphaned mute, he later becomes Gordianus's adopted son. Name
this lad, who shares his name with the last name of an Italian writer.