1998 TRASH Regionals
- Answer these questions about the 100 greatest movies of the
century, as selected by the American Film Institute, for the stated
number of points.
- (5) The only film of the 90's to be named among the 10
greatest was this 1993 Best Picture winner.
ANSWER: SCHINDLER'S LIST
- (10) This director had five movies on the Top 100, best among
ANSWER: Steven SPIELBERG
- (15) This actor, best known for his starring role on TV's
Wagon Train, is the top actor on the Top 100 with eight movies, including
It Happened One Night, Sergeant York, The Searchers, Rio Bravo, and Gone
With The Wind.
ANSWER: Ward BOND
- Mmm... Ben and Jerry's. Politically correct, but oh so yummy. Given a
description of a Ben and Jerry's ice cream flavor, name it for the stated
number of points.
-  Cherry ice cream with chunks of cherry and fudge.
ANSWER: CHERRY GARCIA
-  Banana ice cream with walnuts and chunks of fudge.
ANSWER: CHUNKY MONKEY
-  Malted vanilla ice cream with ripples of peanut butter and, you
guessed it, fudge, and with peanut-butter-filled chocolate-coated
ANSWER: CHUBBY HUBBY
- ID these remixers, for the stated number of points:
-  On his Bad Boy label he has recorded Mary J. Blige, Faith Evans and The Notorious B.I.G. His Svengali-like power over Sting has enabled him to screw up two Police songs, and he may get more.
ANSWER: Sean "Puffy" COMBS or PUFF DADDY
-  If you can't remix other people, remix yourself, as this band did on Supersexy Swingin' Sounds.
ANSWER: WHITE ZOMBIE
-  They most recently remixed Mercury Rev's Song "Delta Sun Bottleneck Stomp", which has been released free over the internet in MP3 format.
ANSWER: the CHEMICAL BROTHERS
- Name the legal thriller by Richard North Patterson FTPE.
- Tony Lord, a San Francisco attorney, returns to his hometown in Ohio
to defend an old high school friend in a bludgeoning death of a 16 year old.
At the same time he has to deal with 30 year-old memories of the murder of
his high school sweetheart, a crime he was charged with an cleared of.
ANSWER: SILENT WITNESS
- Terri Peralta divorces Richie Arias, but he gains custody of their
daughter Elena. Terri goes to Italy with new beau (and boss) Chris Paget.
When they return, Arias is dead and Peralta is charged with murder. She
has to turn to Paget for her defense.
ANSWER: EYES OF A CHILD
- Paget also appears in this novel, where his well-established world
as a San Francisco defense attorney is shattered when the mother of his son,
Mary Carelli, comes to visit. Paget eventually defends her in the killing of
eminent writer Mark Ransom, which Carelli claimed was in self-defense.
ANSWER: DEGREE OF GUILT
- ID the singers from albums, FTPE:
- Back to Basics, Worker's Playtime
ANSWER: Billy BRAGG
- Get Happy!, Punch the Clock
ANSWER: Elvis COSTELLO
- Workbook, The Last Dog & Pony Show
ANSWER: Bob MOULD
- Where’s the one place you can wear plaid pants and make over
100-thousand a week. The pro golf tour. Answer these questions on 1998’s
top money winners in pro golf FTPE.
- Before the season-ending PGA Tour Championship, this man led
the Tour with close to two-and-a-half million dollars in prize money,
including victories in the World Series of Golf, Houston Open, and Tucson
ANSWER: David DUVAL
- Within two, before the season-ending PGA Tour Championship,
how many golfers earned at least one million dollars in prize money in
1998 on the PGA Tour?
ANSWER: 23 (21-25)
- This senior golfer, who won the 1979 and 1990 U.S. Opens, led
the Senior PGA Tour in 1998 with two-and-a-half million dollars in prize
money and six tournaments won.
ANSWER: Hale IRWIN
- Only one baseball franchise shares its nickname with both its triple-A
and double-A minor league affiliates. FTPE:
- What is that shared nickname?
- With what two cities does Atlanta share the Braves nickname?
ANSWER: RICHMOND (Virginia), GREENVILLE (North Carolina)
- Answer these questions about baseball’s Gold Glove awards for
the stated number of points.
-  This National League pitcher won his ninth consecutive
Gold Glove in 1998, tying a major league record.
ANSWER: Greg MADDUX,
-  Maddux tied the record set by this St. Louis Hall of Fame
ANSWER: Bob GIBSON
-  With his seventh Gold Glove, Texas Ranger Ivan Rodriguez
broke the record for most Gold Gloves for an A-L catcher, set by this
former Ranger catcher.
ANSWER: Jim SUNDBURG
- FFPE, and a bonus 5 for all, name the character from MASH who...
- had a parent who didn't know English.
ANSWER: Maxwell KLINGER
- was suspected to be a Communist sympathiser based on a college romance.
ANSWER: MARGARET or HOULIHAN or HOT LIPS
- ordered out to Chicago for ribs.
ANSWER: HAWKEYE or Benjamin Franklin PIERCE
- performed a tracheotomy with a Tom Mix pen knife.
ANSWER: Father Frances MULCAHEY
- almost went home due to an ulcer, but was returned to the 4077th for treatment.
ANSWER: TRAPPER or John MCINTYRE
- For the stated number of points, identify these movies featuring TV weathermen.
- You'll get 40 points, all or nothing, for naming all three movies now, in any order. A little hint -- the first is worth 5, the second 10, and the third 15.
ANSWER: (See succeeding parts. If correct, stop reading. If incorrect in any way, read all three of the next parts, telling them only that they are incorrect.)
- F5P, weatherman Phil Connors' problems start when he travels to
central Pennsylvania to cover another weather forecaster named Phil--
Punxsutawney Phil--and he becomes unstuck in time.
ANSWER: GROUNDHOG DAY
- FTP, weatherman Harris Telemacher has the easy job of predicting the
weather in Southern California where it never rains--until he records a
weekend's worth of broadcasts in advance so he can go away with a girl
ANSWER: L.A. STORY
- F15P, a weatherman named Taylor must secure marriage proposals from
three women chosen by his friend in order to win a bet, and he falls in
love in the process in this 1989 flop.
ANSWER: WORTH WINNING
- Sketch comedy is alive and well, at least on cable. For the stated
number of points, name the show from a description.
- FFP, this Comedy Central sketch comedy show has the same name as
the troupe that stars in it.
ANSWER: The UPRIGHT CITIZENS BRIGADE
- FTP, Bob Odenkirk and David Cross are the demented geniuses behind this HBO sketch program.
ANSWER: MR. SHOW
- F15P, FX provides us with this show starring an LA-based troupe along with guest stars like Lisa Kudrow.
ANSWER: INSTANT COMEDY WITH THE GROUNDLINGS
- Answer these questions about pioneers in a new musical
genre, back when pioneers in a musical genre didn¹t prefix all their
names with "DJ."
- This singer and guitar player, born in Overton County Tennessee in
1914, passed through Bill Monroeís Blue Grass Boys before forming a
band with another band member.
ANSWER: Lester Raymond FLATT
- The other member of this duo was a North Carolina banjo player who
later experimented with his sons in rock and other non-country genres.
ANSWER: Earl SCRUGGS
- Between Bill Monroe and the Earl Scruggs Revue, Lester Flatt and
Earl Scruggs assembled and performed with what backing band, considered one
of the finest bluegrass groups ever.
ANSWER: The FOGGY MOUNTAIN BOYS
- Given the name of a book, name the movie released in the last calendar
year it became FTP. If you need a pair of actors and a director, you'll get
-  American Hero by Larry Beinhart
 starring Dustin Hoffman and Al Pacino, directed by
ANSWER: WAG THE DOG
-  Stray Dogs by John Ridley
 starring Jon Voight and Salma Hayak, directed by Oliver Stone
-  Rum Punch by Elmore Leonard
 starring Pam Grier and Robert DeNiro, directed by Quentin Tarantino
ANSWER: JACKIE BROWN
- Name the artists who gave us these novelty classics, F10PE:
- They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-haaa!
ANSWER: NAPOLEON XIV (acc Jerry SAMUELS)
- Monster Mash
ANSWER: Bobby "Boris" PICKETT & the Crypt-kickers
- The Purple People Eater
ANSWER: Sheb WOOLEY
- 30-20-10, name the singer
-  A second degree blackbelt, he threatened Johnny Carson's life
in 1973 after Carson joked that he and Liberace were both gay.
-  In 1983, he was selected to replace the Beach Boys at a Fourth
of July Washington Mall concert after Interior Secretary Watt decided
the Beach Boys would attract a "bad element".
-  Known as "Mr. Excitement" and "Mr. Las Vegas", he bailed Dana
Plato out of jail and has tried to bring Pocahontas, who he claims as a
relative, back to the U.S. for re-burial.
ANSWER: Wayne NEWTON
- 30-20-10, name the person from their TV appearances.
-  He played himself on the "Chelsea Gets an Opinon" episode of the
short-lived CBS sitcome Style and Substance, and appeared on an episode
of Dennis Miller Live as well.
-  In the ABC TV movie One Hot Summer Night, he played a detective
investigating the murder of a sporting goods magnate.
-  On Court TV and other venues, he was seen as an assistant
prosecutor trying to convict a sports figure who was supposedly on the
handle side of the knife.
ANSWER: Christopher DARDEN
- 30-20-10-5 Name the NHL forward
-  In the off season, this right-wing sometimes serves as a
place kicker for the CFL's Toronto Argonauts.
-  In 1997, he scored a career-high 28 points, and had was
specially honored by Teemu Selanne who named a pet rottweiler after him.
-  Despite his best efforts and a hellacious fight with
Rob Ray, this Maple Leaf and former Golden Gloves champion was only
second-place in penalty minutes for 1998 with 365.
-  As a Winnipeg Jet, he led the NHL in penalty minutes in 1994
with 347. As a Ranger, he celebrated his first NHL goal by riding his
hockey stick like a witches broom.
ANSWER: Tijhen "Tie" DOMI
- Given a musician's real or birth name, give his stage name, FTPE:
- O'Shea Jackson
ANSWER: ICE CUBE
- Richard D. James
ANSWER: APHEX TWIN
- Rexton Rawlston Fernando Gordon
ANSWER: SHABBA RANKS
- After its eponymous first installment, there have been 4 more books in
the Op Center series by Tom Clancy and Steve Pieczenik, each distinguished by
a subtitle. FTPE, name any three of those 4 works.
ANSWER: ACTS OF WAR, MIRROR IMAGE, GAMES OF STATE, BALANCE OF POWER
- 40-30-20-10-5-1 Name the director given films
-  Name him right now, and get 40 points from good karma.
-  The Bellboy and the Playgirls (1962), The Outsiders (1983), Finian's Rainbow (1968)
-  Peggy Sue Got Married (1986), Dementia 13 (1963), The Cotton Club (1984)
-  Jack (1996), The Rainmaker (1997), Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
-  The Godfather trilogy, Apocalypse Now (1979)
-  The Francis Ford Coppola-directed portion of New York Stories (1989)
ANSWER: Francis Ford COPPOLA
- ID these works of "erotic" fiction, FTPE:
- The Story of O
ANSWER: Pauline REAGE
- The Erotic Adventures of Sleeping Beauty
ANSWER: Anne RICE
ANSWER: J. G. BALLARD
- She's quirky, tall, going on 13, and among her desires are a tattoo and to
become so famous they'll name the school cafeteria after her.
- FFP, what ABC Saturday morning title cartoon character does this describe?
ANSWER: PEPPER ANN Pearson
- While Pepper Ann doesn't seem to have a father, she does have four
relatives who appear on the show. One is her mother. FFPE, name the other
three- her sister, her aunt, and her uncle.
ANSWER: MARGARET Rose or MOOSE, Aunt JANIE, Uncle JO JO
- FTP, Pepper Ann's antics often rile this man, the principal of her
ANSWER: Principal HICKEY