1998 TRASH Regionals
- On The Cosby Show, it was a family tradition to attend a certain
Georgia college. For whatever reason, only their least traditional
daughter did so. FTPE:
- What was the name of this school, which Denise Huxtable went to for
three semesters before dropping out?
ANSWER: HILLMAN College
- Rather than going to Hillman, Theo stuck close to home and went to
what school located in the Big Apple?
ANSWER: NEW YORK UNIVERSITY or NYU
- Sondra, Cliff and Claire's oldest, was the first of their children
to dis Hillman, doing so for what Ivy League institution?
ANSWER: PRINCETON University
- 30-20-10-5-1, name the actor from roles.
-  In Roger Corman's 1961 movie,Shame, he played Cramer,
a racist who tries to stop desegregation. By 1974, he
was reduced to playing the psychotic murderous gigolo William Baxter
in "I Love To Kill" and the sequel "Big Bad Mama."
-  In the original Twilight Zone, he played a guy scared
out of his mind by gremlins in the classic episode Terror
at 30,000 feet.
-  In Airplane II, he played Commander Buck Murdock, a semi-parody
of his most famous role.
-  That most famous role was as one of the captains of the starship
-  He's not Patrick Stewart. Which leaves that guy who played
Captain Pike, but he's way too obscure for a one-point clue.
ANSWER: William SHATNER
- Players in the NHL are terribly superstitious, especially about their numbers. Given two all-stars, identify the number they both wear FTPE.
- Teemu Selanne, Sandia Ozolinsh
- Valeri Kamenski, Mats Sundin
- Brendan Shanahan, Theoren Fleury
- Name these sports nicknames of yore for the staed number of points.
-  Grantland Rice provided this name for Notre Dame stars Jim
Crowley, Don Miller, Elmer Layden, and Harry Stuhlderer in 1924.
ANSWER: 4 HORSEMEN
-  Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler were part of this
basketball "fraternity" at the University of Houston in the mid-1980's.
ANSWER: PHI SLAMMA JAMMA
-  Denver wideouts Mark Jackson, Vance Johnson, and Ricky
Nattiel were referred by this name in the mid-1980's.
ANSWER: 3 AMIGOS
- Are you the kind of sicko who eats fast food for breakfast? If so,
you've got a shot at some points here as a reward for torturing your poor
innards. Answer the following about breakfast at Burger King for the
stated number of points.
-  What is the name of Burger King's breakfast sandwich?
-  What is the name of Burger King's breakfast sweet roll?
-  The Croissan'wich and the Cini-Mini are two of the products on
Burger King's breakfast menu, which is called what?
ANSWER: A.M. EXPRESS
- (Audio) Given a lyrical portion of a TV theme song, name these show
FFPE, and a five point bonus for all five.
ANSWER: GROWING PAINS, MR. BELVEDERE, PERFECT STRANGERS, SILVER SPOONS, WHO'S THE BOSS
- The domino effect is alive and well in Hollywood. Answer these questions FTPE:
- This movie features a fence named Redfoot, played by Peter Greene, who tells Fenster "We'll feed it to the gimp", referring to Verbal Kint.
ANSWER: The USUAL SUSPECTS
- Peter Greene played this character, who also had intimate association with a "gimp", in Pulp Fiction.
- Eric Stoltz, who plays a drug dealer in Pulp Fiction, also plays a character named Zed, in this movie, which he also wrote and directed.
ANSWER: KILLING ZOE
- Not only did Mike Tyson become the youngest heavyweight
champion in boxing history in 1986, he also became the first fighter in a
decade to unify the heavyweight championship, winning the WBA, WBC, and
IBF belts between November 1986 and August 1987. FTPE name the three men
Tyson defeated to capture those three belts.
ANSWER: Trevor BERBICK, James "Bonecrusher" SMITH, Tony TUCKER
- Jon Krakauer's three books took place out of doors. One concerned the
world's best climbers, one a man who walked into the woods in Alaska and
never returned, and one about a doomed Everest expedition. FTPE, name these
ANSWER: EIGER DREAMS: Ventures Among Men and Mountains, INTO THE WILD, INTO THIN AIR
- FTP each, given some lyrics, identify these songs that came from
the heart--well, actually, from the band Heart.
- You're not sure what you wanna do with your life, But you sure
don't want me in it, Yeah you're sure the life you're living with me, Can't
go on one single minute
ANSWER: WHO WILL YOU RUN TO
- I told him I am the flower, You are the seed, We walked in the
garden, We planetd a tree. Don't try to find me, Please don't you dare, Just
live in my memory, You'll always be there.
ANSWER: ALL I WANT TO DO IS MAKE LOVE TO YOU
- All that night and all the next Swam without looking back. Made
for western pools--silly fools.
- Breaking up is hard to do, unless you're in one of these bands. Name
the groups that recently disbanded, FTPE:
- Bassist Buddy Edwards left to write a novel and guitarist Brian
Blush was kicked out for addiction problems, but singer Roger Clyne and drummer PH Naffa will
continue to work together. Trekkies may know this Tempe, Arizona-based band from
their references to Captain Picard in the song Banditos, but most
people know them as the instrumentalists behind the King of the Hill theme.
ANSWER: The REFRESHMENTS
- This horror-metal band dissolved in September as members
pursued side projects. Bassist Sean Yseult's new band, Famous Monsters, released an
album in October, while the lead singer was briefly on Korn's Family
Values tour this summer, and released the solo album Hellbilly Deluxe.
ANSWER: WHITE ZOMBIE
- Although they haven't recorded new material since 1986, their
business partnership continued until this fall, when East Bay Ray, DH Peligro
and Klaus Floride brought suit against their Alternative Tentacles label
and their former frontman, Jello Biafra.
ANSWER: DEAD KENNEDYS
- Nepotism, thy name is hip-hop. Prove you're down wit' the
the family thang and name the related rappers from clues for fifteen
- Along with Snoop Doggy Dog and Nate Dogg, he formed the
seminal band 213. Name this rapper whose solo work
includes the album "Regulate...G Funk Era".
ANSWER: WARREN G (you need the "Warren" to avoid confusion with Kenny G)
- Warren G's brother, he produced 213's album, and his own solo work includes the album, The Chronic.
ANSWER: DR. DRE
- 30-20-10 ID the organization:
-  It's founder, David Rockefeller, proclaimed it " a group of
concerned citizdens interested in fostering
greater understanding and cooperation among international allies"
-  It supported the Shah of Iran and tyrannical regimes in Latin America;
Rockefeller's membership in this organization caused riots when he visited Argentina
-  Rockefeller claims it isn't "a coterie of
international conspirators with designs on covertly ruling the world", but many
conspiracy theorists think this group, which also includes Jimmy Carter, George Bush
and other captains of politics and industry, is exactly that, a conspiracy to
create one world government.
ANSWER: TRILATERAL COMMISSION
- In the Law & Order episode Jurisdiction, a Brooklyn detective sets up
a mentally challenged man for murders actually committed by a drug
dealer. What makes this notable is that all three actors are better known
for other roles. FTPE:
- name the actor who played the detective, whose most notable TV work
came playing the greasy Nick Tortelli on Cheers and the spinoff called
ANSWER: Dan HEDAYA
- playing the man who got set up is this actor, who plays only
slightly more intelligent lawyer Jimmy Berluti on The Practice.
ANSWER: Michael BADALUCCO
- Paul McCrane played the actual killer. The name might not be
familiar, but his creepy Dr. Romano graces what current TV drama?
- It seems that only in baseball do we see the freakiest of the
freak injuries. Given a freak injury of baseball lore, name the player
- While with the Red Sox in 1986, this Devil Ray missed a week
due to a strained back. He strained it putting on his cowboy boots.
ANSWER: Wade BOGGS
- This 1989 N-L MVP once strained a rib throwing up. He also
missed a week of games with an infected tooth after biting into a
ANSWER: Kevin MITCHELL
- This catcher, nicknamed Froot Loops, missed a week of games in
1987 with a foot infection, caused by tying his shoelaces too tight.
ANSWER: Mickey TETTLETON
- Ever notice that women on soap operas rack up last names at an
alarming rate? FTPE, given a list of a soap character's last names, you
provide her first name. If you need the actress and soap, you'll get 5
-  Spencer Brock Meyer Jones Cassadine
 Jacklyn Zeman; General Hospital
ANSWER: BARBARA or BOBBIE
-  Foster Chancellor Thurston Brooks Abbott
 Deborah Adair, Brenda Dickson-Weinberg, Jess Walton; The Young and the Restless
-  Lewis Spaulding Corday Jeffries Spaulding
: Ann Hamilton, Kimberly Simms, Krista Tesreau, Barbara Crampton; The Guiding Light
ANSWER: MELINDA or MINDY
- This bonus will not test your knowledge of Moose and Squirrel. Rather,
it will test your knowledge of non-Moose and Squirrel characters from the
Rocky and Bullwinkle show. Identify these FTPE.
- This well-meaning but clueless sailor often accompanies Rocky and
Bullwinkle when they travel by boat.
ANSWER: WRONGWAY FISHBEIN
- This parody of a Prussian military officer is Boris and Natasha's
ANSWER: FEARLESS LEADER
- Speaking of Natasha, Natasha had two different last names on the show.
Name them FFPE.
ANSWER: NOGOODNIK, FATALE
- Name these felines from the Heathcliff cartoon show that aren't Heathcliff, for the stated number of points.
-  First, name Heathcliff's steady girlfriend, also a regular in the
-  Sonia never got into a catfight with the other female cartoon cat
in the series, Cleo. Maybe because Cleo already had a boyfriend, the
leader of a group called the Alleycats. Name the four Alleycats, including
their leader, FFPE.
ANSWER: RIFFRAFF (leader), HECTOR, WORDSWORTH, MUNGO
- Name the quirky songwriter, 30-20-10-5
-  In his song Davy The Fat Boy, the singer promises to take care of
Davy, but ends up displaying him in a freakshow.
-  The title song on 1972¹s ³Sail Away² is a sales pitch for
-  Meant as a satirical statement on prejudice, his song Short People
earned him death threats.
-  He has since mellowed, writing music for The Natural, Three Amigos,
Toy Story, and Parenthood.
ANSWER: Randy NEWMAN
- Given the member of the original Rat Pack, name the actor who played
him in the HBO movie, for the state number of points
- FFP, Frank Sinatra
ANSWER: Ray LIOTTA
- FTP, Dean Martin
ANSWER: Joe MANTEGNA
- F15P, Peter Lawford
ANSWER: Angus MACFAYDEN
- Name the book, 30-20-10.
-  One of the pivotal plot points is the accusation of rape against
running back Fareek Fanon.
-  Its protagonist is Charles Croker, former college football star,
now real estate magnate in Atlanta who has to juggle his demanding second
wife, his 28,000 estate, and a half-empty debt-ridden office tower.
-  While it won't officially hit bookstores until next week, advance
orders on on-line booksellers like Amazon.com have put this novel, the latest by
Tom Wolfe, at the top of the bestseller's list.
ANSWER: A MAN IN FULL
- In CB lingo, 10-4 of course means "message received". FTP each give
the "10 code" for these other messages.
- Stop transmitting
- Receiving poorly
- Repeat message