1998 TRASH Regionals
- Try to suppress any urge you've ever had to run over Lionel Richie
with a tank, and identify these songs of his from lyrics FTP each.
- Oo it's hot, and man it's good, Some of my friends came by from
the neighborhood; People started to climb the walls, Oo it looks like
everybody is havin' a ball.
ANSWER: DANCING ON THE CEILING
- Now my love is somewhere lost in your kiss, When I'm all alone
it's you that I miss, Girl a love like yours is hard to resist.
ANSWER: PENNY LOVER
- Don't make me play no games, Too hard to just stay sane. You know
that time won't wait, Why should I hesitate? Got to do it baby.
ANSWER: CAN'T SLOW DOWN
- The pre-teen scream bands are running amok, and only the
next big pre-teen scream bands can stop them. Name these current faves
of the Tiger Beat scene for the stated number of points.
-  Nicknamed the surrogate Spice Girls, this quartet finally
hit it big in America with their 1998 Top 10 single Never Ever.
ANSWER: ALL SAINTS
-  Members Chris Kirkpatrick, Lance Bass, Joey Fatone,
Justin Timberlake, and J.C. Chasez took their self-titled debut album
to #3 on the Pop Charts in 1998, thanks to such teen anthems as Tearing
Up My Heart and I Want You Back.
ANSWER: N SYNC
-  The Higgins sisters from Manchester, England, ranging in
age from 14 to 17, have scored a following with their album Comin
Atcha, featuring their self-titled ³Theme², which went Top 20 in 1998.
- When it comes to draft-day blunders in the NBA, the Los
Angeles Clippers take the cake. Name these Clippers draft picks of yore
- Taken second in the 1989 draft was this Naismith Award winner,
who bolted to Italy rather than play with the Clips. His draft rights
were sent to Cleveland a year later, and he quickly signed with the Cavs.
ANSWER: Danny FERRY
- The 8th pick in the 1990 draft, this Loyola Marymount star
played only 100 games with the Clips before being waived in 1992. Since
then, he's bounced around in the NBA, CBA, and Europe.
ANSWER: Bo KIMBLE
- Despite a broken foot, this Clippers drafted this Memphis
center with the 7th pick in the 1996 draft. His stock is still pending.
ANSWER: Lorenzen WRIGHT
- In action movies, few things are as important as "the case." ID these movies from their case and what may be in it, FTPE:
- No one in this John Frankenheimer film will tell us what's in the case, but that doesn't stop agents of the KGB, CIA, the Russian mafia and Irish terrorism from killing each other over it for a couple of hours.
- No one tells us what's in this movie's case either, but it glows, so it must be important. According to one off-camera legend, it's the soul of the gangster who's getting it back, which might explain the bandage on the back of his neck.
ANSWER: PULP FICTION
- In this Bond thriller, we actually find out what's in the case -- a Soviet code machine called Lektor. Now that we know, however, it turns out to be merely bait in a trap for Bond set by SPECTRE.
ANSWER: FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
- ID these films of Tim Thomerson, for the stated number of points:
-  This film, also featuring Helen Hunt and Telma Hopkins, is the first in a series where Thomerson playes Jack Deth.
-  "He's the toughest cop on the planet Arturus," this 1991 film's tagline read, "but on Earth, he's in over his head." FTP, in which movie did Tim Thomerson first play Brick Bardo?
-  Dollman's sequel pitted him against another horror b-movie horror fiendfrom the same producer, Charles Band. F15P, what did Brick Bardo face down in the movie and the title?
ANSWER: DEMONIC TOYS (The movie name was DOLLMAN VS. DEMONIC TOYS)
- On August 14, 1998, history was made when two sets of
brothers played in the same major league baseball game, between Montreal
and Cincinnati. FPE for the last names, and 15PE for both the last name
and the two first names, name these brothers, an infield combo for the
Reds, and an infielder and outfielder for Montreal.
ANSWER: AARON and BRET BOONE, VLADIMIR and WILTON GUERRERO
- If your son wants to play a certain position in the NFL, they
better go to certain schools. Name these schools that are tops on NFL
rosters in specific positions for the stated number of points.
-  This school is top at quarterbacks with five on NFL
rosters, including Chris Chandler, Billy Joe Hobert, Warren Moon, and
-  This school has the most running backs in the NFL with
six, including Gary Brown, Jon Witman, Ki-Jana Carter, and Curtis Enis.
ANSWER: PENN STATE
-  This school has sent five tight ends to the NFL,
including Aaron Pierce, Cam Cleeland, and Mark Bruener.
-  This school has the most players in the NFL in 1998, with 40.
ANSWER: NOTRE DAME
- On the Brady Bunch, celebrities seemed to drop the Brady
house so much, you'd think they were part of the family. Name the
celebrity guest given a brief plotline FTPE.
- Bobby claims he knows this quarterback personally, and that he has
dinner at his house everytime he comes to town. But when he's forced to
walk the walk, Cindy fools this man to coming to the house by claiming
Bobby is very sick.
ANSWER: Joe NAMATH
- Marcia claims she can get this singer to perform at the prom. When
she's forced to walk the walk, she and Greg dress up as hotel waiters to
enter this Brit's hotel room and beg him to attend the prom.
ANSWER: Davy JONES
- When Peter is teased by his football teammates for being in
the glee club, this NFL star comes by to tell kids its OK for athletes to
sing, dance, and make crappy films.
ANSWER: "Deacon" JONES
- ID this country artist 30-20-10:
-  After his release from prison in 1967, he went to Nashville
and lived in a hearse in front of Ryman Auditorium. His tattoos, long hair
and prison record deterred major labels, but Plantation Records picked him
up for 1968's Penitentiary Blues.
-  After touring with Grand Funk, he became known for his
unpredictable concerts as the "Masked Rhinestone Cowboy," but made
headway in the industry with his song writing Tanya Tucker scored a hit with
his "Would You Lay With Me (In a Field of Stone)". Albums include
Longhaired Redneck, Texas Man and Tattoo.
-  Though he's released over 30 albums, including Castles in
the Sand, Original Outlaw and the recent Johnny Cash is a Friend of
Mine, his best-known song is still Johnny Paycheck's "Take This Job and
ANSWER: David Allan COE
- The 1980s lyrics game has become the hot game to play in
bars, as players try to identify titles and artists of hundreds of
Jordache-era ditties. Lets see how you do. Given a song lyric, name
the song and artist FFPE.
- Your mom threw away your best porno mag
ANSWER: (You Gotta) FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO PARTY by BEASTIE BOYS
- You make the sun shine brighter than Doris Day
ANSWER: WAKE ME UP BEFORE YOU GO-GO by WHAM!
- Youıre a candle in the window of a cold, dark winterıs night
ANSWER: CANıT FIGHT THIS FEELING by REO SPEEDWAGON
- 30-20-10, name the film.
-  It was the only film directed by Nancy Walker, better known as
Rosie, the waitress who flogged Bounty paper towels.
-  It won the Razzies for Worst Picture and Worst Screenplay in 1981.
It was bad enough to put a crink in the careers of Paul Sand, Valerie
Perrine, and Tammy Grimes, but couldn't stop the shooting star appeal of
the young buck who played Jack Morrell, Steve Guttenberg.
-  Combining the acting ability of Bruce Jenner and the thankfully
dying strains of disco, this steaming loaf of film is a thinly veiled
biopic of the Village People.
ANSWER: CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC
- Since we learned that men are from Mars and women from Venus, Mars and
Venus have been together on five other book titles experiencing a wide
range of romantic encounters. FFPE, and a five point bonus for all, give the five
phrases that follow Mars & Venus on works by John Grey.
ANSWER: STARTING OVER, ON A DATE, TOGETHER FOREVER, IN LOVE, IN THE BEDROOM
- Once again, the fall TV season brings us a fair share of
syndicated dramas that can only be classified as crap. Given a brief
description, name the show that debuted this fall FTPE.
- Last season, this show was known as Soldier of Fortune, Inc.
This season, this program not only has a new name, but new cast members,
including noted thespian Dennis Rodman.
ANSWER: S.O.F. - SPECIAL OPS FORCE
- Still bummed over the cancellation of Renegade, Lorenzo Lamas tries
to emulate Mel Gibson as a pilot under contract with the CIA in this
series, based on a Christopher Robbins book and a 1990 Gibson film.
ANSWER: AIR AMERICA
- Pamela Anderson runs a Beverly Hills bodyguard service. The
less said about this series, the better.
- FTP each, given a definition of a pyrotechnic term, identify the word.
- An amount of pyrotechnic composition that has been fashioned into a
solid object, they are the bright, burning objects ejected from the
- A sphere or cylinder of papier mache or plastic that contains stars,
a bursting charge, and a fuse.
- A thin paper tube containing a pyrotechnic composition often used to
create pictures or writing.
- According to the ad, one should discontinue use of Happy Fun Ball if
any of nine things occur. FFPE, name any six of the nine conditions.
ANSWER: ITCHING, VERTIGO, DIZZINESS, TINGLING IN EXTREMITIES, LOSS OF
BALANCE or COORDINATION, SLURRED SPEECH, TEMPORARY BLINDNESS, PROFUSE
SWEATING, HEART PALPITATIONS
- 30-20-10 Name this mobster:
-  He was heavily into the heroin business, with his first arrest for
possession coming in 1914, while he was still in charge of the "107th
-  An innovator in the drug business, his crowning achievement
was to unite warring Sicilian families with Jewish gangsters led by Bugsy
Siegel and Meyer Lansky, to produce the modern-day Mafia.
-  He was finally arrested in 1936 for compelling women to become prostitutes. He was
released and deported 10 years later, and died in 1962 in Naples Airport. Ironically, he
earned his nickname by avoiding prosecution as long as he did.
ANSWER: Charles "Lucky" LUCIANO or Salvatore LUCIANA
- While Elle magazine has an American and a general "international"
version, it also has specific editions for six countries and a province of
another. FFPE, name any six of the seven places which gets their own edition
ANSWER: GERMANY, AUSTRALIA, FRANCE, JAPAN, QUEBEC, KOREA or SOUTH KOREA, SPAIN
- Answer the following questions about Klingon religion and mythology FTPE.
- If a Klingon dies in battle, he or she will go here, the Klingon afterworld for the honored.
- In Sto-Vo-Kor the honored dead will join this man, who united the Klingon Empire and whose legend is a cornerstone of Klingon religion.
ANSWER: KAHLESS (KAY-less)
- Dishonored Klingons go to this place, which is guarded by the beast Fek'lhr (VEK-LAHRG). Going here is one of the greatest fears of a Klingon warrior.
ANSWER: GRE'THOR (GEH-or OR GEH-thor)
- The latest special edition of Lucky Charms is the "Around the World"
series, commemotating sights Lucky saw on a trip around the world, the
lucky bastard. FFPE, name any six of the eight marshmellows in the series.
You only need the shapes, not the colors, as so many are multicolored.
ANSWER: Liberty BELL, BIG BEN, Mt. EVEREST or MOUNTAIN, Statue of Liberty's
TORCH, PYRAMID, EIFFEL TOWER, GOLDEN GATE Bridge, LEANING TOWER of PISA
(prompt on "Tower")
- They're tiny, they're toony, they're all a little loony. Yes, a Tiny
Toons bonus. Given a description of a Tiny Toons character, name it FTPE.
- This cowardly, conniving, self-centered boy duck is clearly related to
ANSWER: PLUCKY Duck
- This unpleasant little rich boy is forever getting his comeuppance at the
hands of those wacky toons.
ANSWER: MONTY or MONTANA MAX
- This vaguely penguin-like creature with an umbrella growing from his head
is considered loony even by the standards of the other toons.
ANSWER: GOGO Dodo
- Erstwhile writer William Shatner put out eight books in his Tek
series. Your job is to, FFPE, name any six of them.
ANSWER: TEK KILL, TEK MONEY, TEK POWER, TEK SECRET, TEK VENGANCE, TEKLORDS, TEKLAB, TEKWAR
- ID the hosts of these NPR shows:
-  Morning Edition
ANSWER: Bob EDWARDS
-  Fresh Air
ANSWER: Terry GROSS
-  Weekend Edition Sunday
ANSWER: Liane HANSEN