1998 TRASH Regionals
- In the midst of Jeff Gordon vs. Mark Martin for the NASCAR
Winston Cup championship in 1998, a Chesapeake, Virginia driver made a
little history by winning the NAPA AutoCare 500 in Martinsville,
-  Name this driver of the Tide #10 car, who became the
first driver in Winston Cup history to win at least one race in 17
ANSWER: Ricky RUDD
-  Rudd broke the record of one win in 16 consecutive years,
held FTPE, by these two still-active drivers.
ANSWER: Dale EARNHARDT, Darrell WALTRIP
- While James Michener is best known for books with states like Texas
and Hawaii as their titles, he also wrote a few books that are about or take
place in another country. FTPE, given a title of one of those books, name
the country it's concerned with.
- The Source
ANSWER: SOUTH AFRICA
- ID the companies that make the following high-end stereo components, for the stated number of points:
-  The Lifestyle Systems and Wave Radio
-  The ES line of audio equipment
-  The Overture, Reference, and Kappa speaker lines
- If you were lucky, you got to have a lot of Maurice Sendak read to you
when you were younger. If you're very lucky, you still read them now. Aw...
Identify these Maurice Sendak books for the stated number of points.
-  Sendak's best known work, it tells the story of Max, who misbehaves
and, either naked or in a wolf suit depending on the edition, sails away to a
faraway land, becomes king, but returns home.
ANSWER: WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE
-  In this Sendak work, a little boy named Mickey dreams that he
loses his pajamas, makes a plane out of dough, and saves the day when he
brings some milk to the bakers.
ANSWER: THE NIGHT KITCHEN
-  In this book, Jennie, a dog, is dissatisfied with her life and runs
away. She becomes a governess of a beastly child, avoids being eaten by a
lion, and winds up as a star of the stage.
ANSWER: HIGGLETY PIGGLETY POP, or, There Must Be More To Life
- It's the benefit event of the '90s, and it's the first South Park
album. Answer these questions about the Chef Aid episode for the stated
number of points.
- F5P, during the Chef Aid concert, Kenny is killed when what recording artist bites his head off?
ANSWER: Ozzy OSBOURNE
- FTP, Chef is forced to pay a record company $2 million after their attorney, Johnnie Cochran, uses what controversial legal defense?
ANSWER: the CHEWBACCA defense
- F15P, all or nothing, provide Chef's first and last name.
ANSWER: JEROME MCELROY
- Answer these questions about the Little League World Series FTPE.
- FFPE, give the city and state of the 1998 champions.
ANSWER: TOMS RIVER, NEW JERSEY
- This year's runner-up hailed from this country.
- Taiwan holds the record for most Little League World Series
championships with 16. This U.S. state ranks second for most titles with
five. Name it.
- 30-20-10 BONUS. Name the NFL team given players or coaches it has in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. City and nickname please!
-  Frank Gatski, Dante Lavelli, Leroy Kelly
-  Lou Groza, Paul Warfield, Marion Motley
-  Otto Graham, Jim Brown, Paul Brown
ANSWER: CLEVELAND BROWNS
- 30-20-10, name the actress from roles.
30: Annie Boatwright in Bastard out of Carolina
20: Sadie Flood (Mare Winningham's sister) in Georgia
10: Dorothy Parker in Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle
Answer: Jennifer Jason LEIGH
- CNN, MSNBC, FNC, or none of the above? Given the TV program,
tell me if it's on Cable News Network, MSNBC, Fox News Channel, or none
of the above FFPE, bonus five for all.
- Capital Gang
- Beltway Boys
- Movietone News
- Washington Watch
ANSWER: NONE (CourtTV)
- Morning Blend
- It seems to be a recent trend to include covers of hit songs on movie
soundtracks. for the stated number of points, given a song, its
original artist, and the soundtrack which included the cover, name the
band or artist who performed the cover.
-  David Bowie¹s Heroes, on the Godzilla soundtrack.
ANSWER: The WALLFLOWERS
-  The Buggles¹ Video Killed The Radio Star, on the Wedding Singer soundtrack
ANSWER: The PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
-  Public Enemy¹s Fight The Power, on the Coneheads soundtrack
ANSWER: BARENAKED LADIES
- Name these award winners from the 1998 WNBA regular season
for the stated number of points.
-  This Houston Comet took home her second straight league MVP trophy
ANSWER: Cynthia COOPER
-  This former Tar Heel was named Rookie of the Year,
finishing as the second-leading scorer of the Charlotte Sting.
ANSWER: Tracy REID
-  This Penn State star, who hadn't played competitvely
since 1992, earned Newcomer of the Year honors with the Cleveland
ANSWER: Suzie McCONNELL-SERIO
- ID these movies featuring members of the British comedy troupe Monty Python, FTPE:
- Eric Idle, an abandoned child raised by Pakistanis, discovers he's the rightful 15th Duke of Bournemouth and plots the demise of the current alleged Duke, played by Rick Moranis. John Cleese is seedy lawyer Raoul P. Shadgrind, helping Idle claim his title.
ANSWER: SPLITTING HEIRS
- This Terry Gilliam medieval fantasy stars Michael Palin as Dennis Cooper, a young man who has to fight the title monster.
- Graham Chapman is a pirate released from prison to find his treasure with some of his old crew and his intellectual son. Cleese appears again as Harvey "Blind" Pew, and Cheech and Chong play "El Segundo" and "El Nebuloso".
- ID the country artist from a 1998 release (either album or
single) FTP, or a list of pre-1998 albums for 5:
-  No More Looking Over My Shoulder
 Country Club, T-R-O-U-B-L-E, Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
ANSWER: Travis TRITT
-  Long Walk Back
 Guit With It, 12 Shades of Brown, Semi-Crazy
ANSWER: Junior BROWN
-  Still the One
 Woman in Me, Come On Over
ANSWER: Shania TWAIN
- 30-20-10, name author from works.
-  Mefisto in Onyx, Sleepless Nights in the Procrustean Bed
-  Alone Against Tomorrow, Angry Candy
-  The Beast That Shouted Love at the Heart of the World, The City on the Edge of Forever
ANSWER: Harlan ELLISON
- Pay attention to your Victoria's Secret catalogue? Well, here's your
chance to make it pay off. That is, if you studied the proper part of the
catalogue- the underwear descriptions. Identify these lingerie pieces FTPE.
- One of the largest pieces of lingerie, it resembles a summer dress,
with straps over the shoulders and generally running mid-thigh length.
- Shorter than a chemise, it resembles a one-piece bathing suit with
shoulder straps, but usually can be snapped shut beneath rather than just
stepping through leg holes.
- It is descended from the corset, and looks similar. It is strapless,
and usually ends just above the bellybutton. It is one of the pieces of
lingerie most often worn as outerwear; ones intended for use as outerwear
are frequently made of leather, denim, or vinyl.
- Given a fragrance, identify its manufacturer FTP each.
ANSWER: MARY KAY
- Someone's gotta give the Doc his props. Dr. Seuss ruled. Identify the
following Dr. Seuss books for the stated number of points.
-  When released in 1960, this Dr. Seuss book was reviewed in the New
Yorker, which compared it favorably with "Ulysses." As they pointed out:
"Like Ulysses, it takes place in one day. It is the story of two munchkins
(of different munchkin races); one dislikes and distrusts the other.
Munchkin B tries to get Munchkin A to try an oddly-colored breakfast.
There are other similarities with Ulysses."
ANSWER: GREEN EGGS AND HAM
-  In this book, the hapless Mr. Knox struggles futilely against the
titular wily foot-clad canine, with venues ranging from a beetle battle atop a
noodle-eating poodle to the strange case of Luke Luck and his duck, who both
ANSWER: FOX IN SOCKS
-  King Derwin of Didd is bored by the weather. He has his court
magicians cook up a new kind of weather. It turns out to be green goo
falling from the skies. Derwin hates it, but the magicians can't turn it off.
It's up to a royal page to save the day.
ANSWER: BARTHOLOMEW AND THE OOBLECK
- Do you picture yourself a Parrothead? Given the lyrics, name
the Jimmy Buffett song for the stated number of points.
-  I like mine with lettuce and tomato
Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes
Big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer
Good God almighty, which way do I steer?
ANSWER: CHEESEBURGER IN PARADISE
-  Strumming my six-string
On my front porch swing
Smell of shrimping again at the bar.
-  But now she lives down by the ocean
She¹s taken care of the local sharks
They hang out in the local bars
And they feed right at their docks.
- Identify the oddball political candidates from this year's elections FTPE.
- The Green Party's gubernatorial candidate in New York, he has filed
suit against the state board of elections for keeping him from being
called "Grandpa" on the ballot.
ANSWER: Al LEWIS
- Running for governor of Minnesota on the Reform Party ticket, he was
criticized for being secretive about what he did in Vietnam, but no one
thinks twice about his former penchant for prancing around the ring in
tie-dyed tights and a feather boa.
ANSWER: Jesse "The Body" VENTURA (MODERATOR NOTE: Body for President in 2000! -- oh, sorry about that. I'm a little punchy.)
- In Vermont's US Senate race, this 79-year-old retired dairy farmer
with a ten-dollar campaign budget running on the platform of "I need the
money" beat millionaire Jack McMullen in the Republican primary, but
immediately conceded, saying he supported incumbent Patrick Leahy.
ANSWER: Fred TUTTLE
- Unlike the X-Files, The Simpsons didn't make the leap to movie
theaters this summer, but most of its cast did.\240 FTPE, name the film from
the Simpsons cast members that were in it.
- Hank Azaria and Harry Shearer both appeared in this film as
employees of a New York TV station.\240 Azaria played a camera man, while
Shearer played the station's top news anchor.
- Shearer also provided the Seymour Skinner-sounding narration over
the beginning of this early 19th century exploring buddy comedy.
ANSWER: ALMOST HEROES
- You probably missed Dan Castellaneta's turn as Bumpkin in this spoof
on films like Reservoir Dogs and Natural Born Killers, which also starred
Tommy Davidson, Sandra Bernhard, Tim Kazurinsky, and Judy Tenuta.
ANSWER: PLUMP FICTION
- Sometimes the only thing people change for a sequel is the subtitle. Given a series name and sequel designation, give the subtitle of the sequel, for the stated number of points:
-  Child's Play 4
ANSWER: BRIDE OF CHUCKY
-  Under Siege 2
ANSWER: DARK TERRITORY
-  Kickboxer 3
ANSWER: THE ART OF WAR
- 30-20-10 name the director from films.
-  The newton Boys
-  Before Sunrise
-  Dazed and Confused, Slackers
ANSWER: Richard LINKLATER