1998 TRASH Regionals
- Name these 1998 enshrinees to the Basketball Hall of Fame for
the stated number of points.
-  The NBA’s all-time winningest coach, he was previously
enshrined as a player, and is the only person to be named one of the
NBA’s 50 greatest players and 10 greatest coaches.
ANSWER: Lenny WILKENS
-  This Texas coach is the winningest coach in Division One
women’s basketball history, with more than 700 wins and a 78 percent
winning percentage to her credit.
ANSWER: Jody CONRADT
-  This brilliant dribbler played in more than 12-thousand
games with the Harlem Globetrotters, and is the first full-time Trotter
to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.
ANSWER: Marques HAYNES
- Given some of the standard shorthand initials used to place personals
ads, translate them into English for the stated number of points.
-  SWF
ANSWER: SINGLE WHILE FEMALE
-  DJPF
ANSWER: DIVORCED JEWISH PROFESSIONAL FEMALE
-  SHTS
ANSWER: SINGLE HISPANIC TRANSSEXUAL (accept equivalents for all)
- (Audio) Time to go back in time to check out what songs were
#1 on the Pop Charts on November 7th of various years. Given snippets of
songs that were #1 in 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986, and 1994, name the
songs, FFPE and a bonus 5 for all correct.
ANSWER: YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET (BTO), MacARTHUR PARK (Donna
Summer), UP WHERE WE BELONG (Cocker/Warnes), AMANDA (Boston), I'LL MAKE LOVE TO YOU (Boyz II Men)
- Rick Reilly may just be the funniest sports writer in America today.
For the stated number of points, answer these questions about his work.
- Reilly provides the closing column for a weekly magazine. FFPE,
name the magazine and the name of his column.
ANSWER: SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, The LIFE OF REILLY
- Reilly's only novel is a Tin Cup-like story of love and golf at a
Boston-area municipal course complete with a trolley car running across a
fairway. FTP, name it.
ANSWER: MISSING LINKS
- Among all of Reilly's books about sports figures, _I'd Love to, But I
Have A Game: 27 Years Without A Life_ is his only one about a sportscaster.
FTP, who is the subject of this book, who had neither a life or a job after
almost going to jail for his dangerous dalliances.
ANSWER: Marv ALBERT
- Given an album or albums, identify the stand-up comedian who recorded
them for the stated number of points.
- For 5, Class Clown and Occupation: Foole
ANSWER: George CARLIN
- For 5, I Have a Pony
ANSWER: Steven WRIGHT
- For 10, Rant In E Minor and Marble Head Johnson
ANSWER: Bill HICKS
- For 10, I Hope I'm Not Out of Line and Life in the Slaw Lane
ANSWER: Kip ADDOTTA
- ID the following movies from quotes, for the stated number of points:
-  "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it any more!"
- "I lost a friend tonight and I may lose more! The whole world may be sucked into hell, and you want my help 'cause your girlfriend's a big ho?! Let me take this opportunity to NOT care!"
ANSWER: BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER
-  "You think I'm a thief? You see, I'm not the thief. I'm not the one charging 85 cents for a STINKING SODA! You're the thief! I'm just standing up for my rights as a consumer."
ANSWER: FALLING DOWN
- Name these singers and musicians nominated for possible
induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for 1998 for the stated
number of points.
-  This Hicksville, Long Island native cancelled his second
concert tour with Elton John in 1998 with throat problems.
ANSWER: Billy JOEL
-  The original drummer of this 1970's jazz-rock band was
ANSWER: STEELY DAN
-  This British singer's hits in the 1960's included Son of
a Preacher Man and You Don't Have to Say You Love Me.
ANSWER: Dusty SPRINGFIELD
- In these days, when small regional brewers get all the buzz, it may be
hard to remember that the big national swill producers have homes too.
Given a big national brand of beer, give the state in which it is
manufactured for the stated number of points.
-  Milwaukee's Best
-  Miller
-  Budweiser
-  Coors
- After four indie albums and a few lineup changes, the Dixie Chicks hit
the big time this year with two Country Music Association awards.
FTPE, name the three current Dixie Chicks.
ANSWER: Natalie MAINES, Emily ERWIN, Martie SEIDEL
- The biggest trend in college football in the '90s is the death of
the major independent. Only 8 independents are left in Division 1A, and
after Notre Dame and Navy, they aren't household names. F5P each, given
the remaining major independent, identify their team nickname.
- Arkansas State
- Central Florida
ANSWER: GOLDEN KNIGHTS
- Lousiana Tech
- Northeast Louisiana
- Southwest Louisiana
ANSWER: RAGIN' CAJUNS
- University of Alabama-Birmingham
- Identify the person from "Star Trek" television series credits, 30-20-10-5.
- 30: Second in command of the Enterprise in the pilot episode of the
- 20: The voice of the ship's computer on the Enterprise in "Star Trek:
The Next Generation."
- 10: Lwaxana (LOCK-sahn-na) Troi, mother of Ship's Counselor Deanna Troi
on "Star Trek: The Next Generation."
- 5: Nurse Chapel in the original series, and wife of the series creator.
ANSWER: Majel BARRETT or MAJEL Barrett RODDENBERRY
- ID these movies that all feature characters with multiple personality disorder. Note that, except on teams of fewer than three, no person may answer more than once, meaning the captain has to designate at least twice to different teammates.
- John Lithgow plays a child psychiatrist with five different personalities in this 1992 film. As if that isn't enough, his long-lost father wants him to steal babies for scientific experiments.
ANSWER: RAISING CAIN
- A 1957 film featuring Joanne Woodward as the title character, the grandmother (or grandfather, or maybe both) of the genre.
ANSWER: The THREE FACES OF EVE
- A lighter alternative is this 1990 stinker. Gene Hackman's a cop, Dan Akroyd's his burnout partner, who has amazing detection skills, but assumes personalities of whole casts of TV characters.
ANSWER: LOOSE CANNONS
- Not all hockey players are illiterate, unwashed, mouth-breathing
thugs. Just most of them. Given the N-H-L star, identify the university
he played for FTPE.
- Paul Kariya (kuh-reye-yuh)
- Mike Richter
- Mike Grier
A. BOSTON UNIVERSITY (NOTE: deduct 50 pts from anyone who says Boston College for Part C and then
says it's the same thing as B-U).
- Name these Samuel L. Jackson films for the stated number of
- (5) Jackson is Zeus Carver, Bruce Willis's relunctant partner,
who must stop Eurotrash terrorists from destroying New York in this 1995
ANSWER: DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE
- (10) Jackson's the Rev. Fred Sultan, a boxing promoter who
finds a white peace-loving musician to fight the champ, Damon Wayans, in
this 1996 Ron Shelton comedy.
ANSWER: THE GREAT WHITE HYPE
- (15) When Matthew Modine dies in a car crash, he's returned to
Earth as a dog, voiced by Jackson, to protect his family from evil
businessman Eric Stoltz in this 1995 bomb.
- Answer these questions about the Rolling Stones¹ fateful free
concert at Altamont Speedway, FTPE:
- Name the documentary which chronicles the Altamont concert.
- Identify the young man who was stabbed to death by Hell¹s Angels
during the concert.
- What song from the Aftermath album were the Stones playing when
Hunter was killed?
ANSWER: a. GIMME SHELTER b. Meredith HUNTER c. UNDER MY THUMB
- 30-20-10, name the TV actress from roles.
- 30: She last appeared on series TV as Sara in the 1990-92 offering True Colors.
- 20: Her earliest TV role was as Emily Turner, housekeeper on Family
Affiar. She also played a housekeeper on McMillan and Wife
- 10: She may be best known for playing Ida Morganstern, shrill mother to
Rhoda, on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and, of course, Rhoda.
ANSWER: Nancy WALKER
- Given songs from a sountrack album from 1998, name the film it came
- "Paper Wings" by Gillian Welch and Martina McBride's "Chances Are"
ANSWER: HOPE FLOATS
- "Dead Flowers" by Townes Van Zandt and "My Mood Swings" by Elvis Costello
ANSWER: The BIG LEBOWSKI
- "Same Ol' G" by Ginuwine and "Woof Woof" by 69 Boyz
ANSWER: DR. DOLITTLE
- Do you read The Onion? You should, if you want to know what's really going on. FTPE, ID these people from articles about them in The Onion:
-  This fast food chain released the Grandito, a new permutation of its five ingredients, this October.
ANSWER: TACO BELL
-  Earlier this year, this chess supercomputer was beaten up by a more popular computer.
ANSWER: DEEP BLUE
-  While running for President last election, this man wooed the gay vote by promising he wouldn't incinerate them.
ANSWER: Pat BUCHANAN
- Cameos and references to the New York Yankees were a regular
on Seinfeld. Given a brief description, name the Yankee who appeared or
was mentioned on Seinfeld FTPE.
- Trying to imitate one of Babe Ruth's greatest moments, Kramer
promises a sick child that this Yankee will hit two home runs in one
ANSWER: Paul O'NEILL
- When George Steinbrenner calls Frank Costanza about his son's
apparent death, Frank verbally attacks the Boss for trading this
outfielder to Seattle for Ken Phelps.
ANSWER: Jay BUHNER
- When Steinbrenner takes the stand in the final episode, Frank
questions why Steinbrenner signed this unproven pitcher to a
multi-million dollar contract in 1997.
ANSWER: Hideki IRABU
- 30-20-10, name the musician
-  Born Dana Owens in East Orange, New Jersey, her posse was the Flava Unit.
-  She recorded her first single, "Wrath of My Madness", in
- Ten years later, she released the album Order in the Court.
-  On Living Single, she played Kadisha, a tough, no-nonsense magazine editor.
ANSWER: QUEEN LATIFAH
- FTPE, name the authors of the following books Oprah made notable
without even having to make them part of her book club.
- He wrote Make The Connection with Oprah. Her personal trainer, the
duo give back and forth advice about the diet and exercise plan that got
Oprah slimmed down.
ANSWER: Bob GREENE
- This woman also played a part in the thinning of Oprah, but as her
chef. In the Kitchen With Rosie went on to sell 6 million copies.
ANSWER: Rosie DALEY
- His self-help book _You Can Make It Happen: A Nine Step Plan For
Success_ didn't fare as well as the previous two titles, but considering he
hasn't gotten Oprah to marry him, readers may doubt his abilty to succeed.
ANSWER: Stedman GRAHAM
- Since their introduction in 1964, we're learned the name of eight of
the Beagle Scouts led by Snoopy. FTPE, name any three of these avian members
of an apparent canine organization.
ANSWER: CONRAD, OLIVER, BILL, WOODSTOCK, HARRIET, RAYMOND, FRED, ROY
- Chicken Little thought the sky was going to fall, so she rushed off to
alert the King. You may have heard about it. Identify the following other
characters from that scandalous event FTPE.
-  The first two characters Chicken Little met were also domestic birds,
and they joined her in her mission. FTPE, name them.
ANSWER: TURKEY LURKEY, GOOSEY LOOSEY
-  Chicken Little and her friends never made it to the King, because they
were eaten by, FTP, who?
ANSWER: FOXY LOXY