1998 TRASH Regionals
- The storied career of Nadia Comaneci (cohm-uh-NEECH) didn't end, as
Gilda Radner once suggested, when she lost her cheech-kee and stopped
being cute. Answer the following questions about Nadia the later years,
for the stated number of points.
-  Soon after her defection to the U.S., she earned major walking
around money posing in her undies on giant billboards for which
-  She was coached to fame by this man with whom she
renewed ties after fleeing Romania.
ANSWER: Bela KAROLYI (kuh-ROLL-ee)
-  Between them, she and her husband have 11 Olympic
medals. Of course, ten of them are hers. Name this American gymnast
with whom Comaneci now runs an elite gymnastics school.
ANSWER: Bart CONNER
- The NHL realigned itself into six divisions for the 1998-99
season. FFPE, name the six brand-spanking new divisions in the NHL.
ANSWER: ATLANTIC, NORTHEAST, SOUTHEAST, CENTRAL, NORTHWEST, PACIFIC
- Musicians should never make movies. FTPE, name the film starring a
musician given a synopsis.
- Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles plays Molly, who on the night before
graduating from college goes to a party that changes her life. This 1987
turkey was directed by Hoff's mother.
ANSWER: The ALLNIGHTER
- Joan Jett and Michael J. Fox play siblings struggling to make it out
of Cleveland with their rock group, the Barbreakers. It also came out in
ANSWER: LIGHT OF DAY
- Rick Springfield brought his double-barreled assault to the big
screen in 1984, using his atrocious acting and his dubious musicianship to
bear to play a musician who falls in love with a woman he was in a car
accident with. She's never heard of him, and none of his usual ploys
ANSWER: HARD TO HOLD
- Identify the following about the U.S.'s only officially for profit
religion, the Church of the Subgenius, for the stated number of points:
-  When Discover held a reader's poll that, pointing out that only Earth
was not named for a divine figure, asked for suggestions for a new name
for the planet, loyal Subgenii organized a massive campaign for their
divine figure, a pipe-smoking oil-drilling equipment salesman. Name him.
ANSWER: J. R. and/or BOB DOBBS
-  Loyal Subgenii are always seeking this precious commodity, which will
enable them to survive the destruction of the dreaded conformist Pinks.
- This is the current head of the Church of the Subgenius.
ANSWER: Rev. Ivan STANG
- FTP each, name the roller coaster from a description. If you need the
park you'll get 5 points.
-  With a top speed of 100 mph, this 1235-foot coaster has no
inversions, but does offer six and a half seconds of weightlessness. It
opened in 1997, a year later than expected due to delays.
 Six Flags Magic Mountain
ANSWER: SUPERMAN THE ESCAPE
-  Top speed of 60 mph, its inversions include a 104-foot vertical
loop, an immelman, a zero gravity roll, a batwing (2 inversions), a 67
foot vertical loop, and a corkscrew.
 Busch Gardens Tampa
-  Top speed of 60 mph, it features six elements: a 119-foot-tall
vertical loop, 103-foot-high dive loop, heavily banked 360-degree turn,
83-foot-tall inclined loop, 360-degree flat spin and a figure-eight
 Cedar Point
- Given a description of a chaotic evil Dungeons & Dragons humanoid race, name it FTPE.
- This three-foot tall half-hit-die critter has become synonymous among D&D
players for wimpiness. However, they breed like rabbits, and tend to run in
packs of up to 200.
- This two-plus-one hit-die creature resembles a hyena man. They worship the
demon lord Yeenoghu, and are often in the company of flinds (short "i").
- This two hit-die semi-aquatic creature is sometimes neutral instead of chaotic evil.
They are organized at the tribal level, and one tribe in five has made the
breakthrough to tool use, and use primitive swords and shields. The rest just
claw and bite.
ANSWER: LIZARD MAN
- 30-20-10 BONUS. Name the TV performer.
- 30: CBS aired a biopic on his life in 1988, a year after he passed
away. He was played in the film by Andrew Robinson, who currently plays
Garak on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
- 20: On Batman he appeared occasionally as the musically-adept villain
Chandell (shon-DELL), who was a favorite of Aunt Harriet.
- 10: He was catapulted to fame thanks to his 1950s syndicated TV show,
which introduced him, his extravagant clothes, and his candelabra-
festooned piano to the nation.
ANSWER: Wladziu Valentino LIBERACE
- As there is no oil drilled in the Volunteer State, the
Tennessee Oilers have petitioned the NFL to select a new nickname. The
Oilers have asked for trademarks on seven potential new nicknames. FFPE,
name any six of these seven possible nicknames.
ANSWER: PIONEERS, TRADITION, FURY, WOLVES, VIPERS, COMMANDERS, PRESIDENTS
- Given a description, name the bit from the Late Show with David Letterman FTPE.
- A weekly quiz sensation, Dave asks members of the audience to answer
questions about the news of the day. Even if you don't give the right joke
answer, contestants get a meal for two for playing.
ANSWER: KNOW YOUR CURRENT EVENTS
- Dave feeds lines and actions to a local deli owner, who has an earpiece
and a hidden camera. Said deli owner acts them out on the streets of New
York, hilarity ensues.
ANSWER: FUN WITH RUPERT
- It is the official name of the viewer mail segment.
ANSWER: CBS MAILBAG
- 30-20-10 BONUS. Name the author.
-  Recently widowed and a new adoptive mom, this Wisconsin resident
came up with the idea of her most recent novel from a dream she had in the
midst of the book tour for her first novel, which she wrote when she was
-  Her most recent novel, The Most Wanted, tells the story of a 14
year old Texas girl who falls in love with a convict.
-  The Most Wanted is the follow-up to best-seller and Oprah Book Club
selection The Deep End of the Ocean.
ANSWER: Jacquelyn MITCHARD
- 30-20-10, name the director
- 30: He was actually sued by the Hell's Angels for defmation
after releasing the movie Nam Angels.
- 20: He produced the spoof Saturday the 14th, a horror/
commedy that includes clips from his earlier films.
- 10: His proteges include Joe Dante and Stanley Kubrick;
he directed the classic A Bucket of Blood
ANSWER: Roger CORMAN
- As anyone who's followed Mario and Luigi through their escalating war
to protect the Mushroom People knows, one of their archfoes, Bowser, has
called his seven children into the fray. Name any six of them FFPE.
ANSWER: a. IGGY, LEMMY, WENDY O. (the O. is not necessary), LUDWIG Von, LARRY, MORTON, ROY (their last name is "Koopa")
- They used to got Next, now they're old hat. Given clues, ID the
following WNBA stars FTPE.
- This man was coach of the year in both 1997 and 1998,
leading the Houston Comets both years.
ANSWER: Van CHANCELLOR
- This member of the New York Liberty led the league in assists
and was defensive player of the year in 1997.
ANSWER: Teresa WEATHERSPOON (not Witherspoon!)
- She gave her 1996 Olympic Bronze medal to her parents; in
1998, this Aussie led the Phoenix Mercury the the league finals.
ANSWER: Michelle TIMMS
- Given the anchors, name the overnight news programs and the network they
appear on, five points for the network and 10 points for the title
- Mika Brzezinski and Rick Jackson.
ANSWER: CBS, UP TO THE MINUTE
- It has no permanent anchors, but duties have rotated among Mark Mullen,
Barry Mitchell, the now departed Asha Blake.
ANSWER: ABC, WORLD NEWS NOW
- Name the teen idol who released the following albums, 15 PE, or
5PE if you need an acting role:
-  the 1995 CD ³Let¹s Go Bang²
 Julie James in ³I Know What You Did Last Summer² and its sequel.
ANSWER: Jennifer Love HEWITT
-  The 1996 CD ³One Stop Carnival²
 David Silver on Beverly Hills, 90210
ANSWER: Brian Austin GREEN
- 30-20-10, name the musical from clues
-  Based on a story by Christopher Isherwood, it was originally a
straight play entitled "I am a Camera".
-  It premiered as a musical in 1966 and starred Lotte Lenya and
Joel Grey, featuring the songs Two Ladies and Money Makes the World Go
-  Its 1972 movie version won eight Oscars, including Best
Actress for Liza Minnelli. The play currently enjoys a Broadway
revival with Jennifer Jason Leigh replacing Natasha Richardson in the
- Given a trio of mysteries or thrillers, name the common author, FTPE:
- Cause of Death, Point of Origin, Hornet's Nest
ANSWER: Patricia CORNWELL
- Deception On His Mind, In the Presence of the Enemy, Payment in Blood
ANSWER: Elizabeth GEORGE
- A Certain Justice, A Taste For Death,Original Sin
ANSWER: P. D. JAMES (Need last name only)
- Are you old school? No, we¹re not talking ESPN Classic Sports
here. Prove you know your hip-hop classics from back in the day, and ID these rap acts from
their albums FTPE.
- AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
ANSWER: ICE CUBE
- Yo! Bum Rush The Show
ANSWER: PUBLIC ENEMY
- As Nasty as they Wanna Be
ANSWER: 2LIVE CREW
- 30-20-10 Name the company from tidbits of its history:
-  It was formed from the feelings a young book store clerk
that the public was in need of "a refined form of communication
that was both inexpensive and efficient"
-  The clerk and founder's response was a product incorporated both "the right words, plus
the assurance that the sentiments were in good taste". Specifically, it
incorporated purple pansies topped by the cover note, "I'm thinking of you."
-  In 1980, the company J.C. Hall founded put out 7,000 new designs, only 2 of
which were "downers", which were intended as gags.
-  In quizbowl circles, they get a lot of press for sponsoring Menotti's Amahl and the Night Visitors on television.
-  Another show they sponsor is the Hallmark Hall of Fame.
- FTPE, given a prize from this past summer's Pepsi Pop Culture contest,
name the phrase you'd have had to spell out to win it.
- $100 a month for a year
ANSWER: IN IT FOR THE BENJAMINS
- A Jeep Wrangler
ANSWER: AS IF
- a trip to the MTV Music Awards with Bill Bellamy
ANSWER: IT'S ALL GOOD
- Given 3 movies, ID the actor or actress who starred in all three, FTPE:
- Reality Bites(1994), The Crucible (1996), Alien: Resurrection(1997)
ANSWER: Winona RYDER
- The Princess Bride(1987), Glory(1989), Twister(1996)
ANSWER: Cary ELWES
- Queen's Logic(1991), True Lies(1994), Fierce Creatures(1997)
ANSWER: Jamie Lee CURTIS
- Given a character in the film Antz, name the actors providing the voice F5PE.
ANSWER: Woody ALLEN
ANSWER: Sharon STONE
ANSWER: Christopher WALKEN
- General Mandible
ANSWER: Gene HACKMAN
ANSWER: Jennifer LOPEZ
ANSWER: Danny GLOVER