1998 TRASH Regionals
- This three-year-old's athletic career was far from certain at birth.
Born with a crooked leg, his chest was so narrow, he was nicknamed the
fish. FTP, name this famous equine, purchased by Bob Bafford for
17-thousand dollars as a colt, who won the 1998 Preakness Stakes and
Kentucky Derby, and finished second in the Belmont Stakes.
ANSWER: REAL QUIET
- While in high school he lost a leg to cancer, and as an adult he would
threaten to remove it an use it as a weapon against co-workers. His
career took him to Tampa, Minneapolis, Kansas City, and Baltimore before
he stopped for good in Atlanta. A winner of a CableAce Award for
newscasting, his distinctive voice became the "sound" of the network.
FTP name this man, an original CNN Headline News anchor, who died of
cancer last May.
ANSWER: Don HARRISON
- Songs on this 1953 film's soundtrack include "Two Little Girls From Little Rock", "Bye, Bye Baby", "Ain't There Anyone Here for Love?" and "When Love goes wrong." Directed by Howard Hawks, it starred Charles Coburn, Jayne Russell and Marilyn Monroe. FTP, name this movie whose most famous song was "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend", and whose sequel was Gentlemen Marry Brunettes.
ANSWER: GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES
- While a student at Leland College, he had his own radio show called
Syncopated Money, a mix of blues music and business news. An economics
major, after graduation he worked on Wall Street for the firm of O'Brien,
Mathers, and Clark. Hard to believe he was almost named Moon Muffin.
FTP, this describes what sitcom character, an almost exact opposite of
parents Steve and Elise, played by Michael J. Fox?
ANSWER: ALEX P. KEATON
- The Portrator is the first ever to include a video camera, which shoots
from the tip and connects via cable to a monitor. Other odd models include the
Firefly, which has a glowing tip, and the Pearl Diver, which incorporates
plastic beads. FTP, name these item, other models of which include the Rambo,
Bully, Non-Doctor, Jelli, Penetrator, Pleasurizer, and Stud Boy, a metal or
plastic cylinder designed to mimic the shape and function of a penis.
ANSWER: DILDO (accept VIBRATOR- not all the dildos above vibrate, but most
can, and TRASH will forgive less-than-perfect knowledge of the
- If you're really astute -- and old -- you remember him as the Easy Reader on "The Electric Company." A far cry from one current project -- a movie version of Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama. Though he's been acting in movies since the '70s, he became hot property in the late '80s and '90s with films like Street Smart, Driving Miss Daisy, and Shawshank Redemption, all of which earned him Oscar nominations. FTP, name this African-American star of Amistad and Deep Impact.
ANSWER: Morgan FREEMAN
- No sex, no drugs, no wine, no women, no fun, no sin, no you, no
wonder itıs dark. Everyone around me is a total stranger. Everyone
avoids me like a psyched lone ranger. Everyone! Thatıs why Iım,
FTP, doing what, according to one-hit wonders The Vapors?
ANSWER: TURNING JAPANESE
- A family finds a winter home with a creepy old woman. The woman seems
like a big pain in the ass, but really, she's just a nice old lady with tragic
memories centered on a holiday. FTP, name this sickeningly sweet story of
love and redemption, originally self-published by Nicholas Evans.
A. The CHRISTMAS BOX
- He has been to 7 Super Bowls, but unfortunately he has only been
there to do color commentary for Danish television. His most interesting
record is that he has scored a point in every one of his team's games
since 1982, far and away the all-time scoring streak. FTP name this
current Falcon and former Saints kicker.
ANSWER: Morten ANDERSEN
- In his films, this Italian director uses his own voice for narration, and always uses his own hands in shots where a man's hands are shown killing, something he refuses to discuss in interviews. What does that mean for his upcoming Phantom of the Opera? You be the judge. FTP, name this horror filmmaker of Trauma, Stendahl Syndrome, and Suspiria.
ANSWER: Dario ARGENTO
- According to his website resume he has appeared in over 2 dozen
luggage commercials, a print campaign for a local taxidermist, and had a
two-week stint working for Michelob. He made the classic mistake of
trusting a mongoose, but let's just say he's all the "wise-er" for it, and
he has now been allowed to "Bring out his best". FTP name this lizard
whose treachery has landed him a gig between "Bud" and "er".
ANSWER: LOUIE the lizard
- He has the world's largest collection of tin foil. Three of his
cousins are named Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cottontail. He also has a pet
stuffed armadillo named Herman. In his spare time he likes to listen to
records at Riff Ryan's Music Store, see his favorite film The Monster That
Devoured Cleveland, or play the bongos. In fact, he likes anything but
work. FTP, this describes what TV teen, played by Bob Denver, best friend
to Dobie Gillis?
ANSWER: Maynard G. KREBS
- Yes, a spelling tossup. Deal. In this movie, Early Grace kills his landlord, grabs his girlfriend Adele and a couple of buddies and goes kill-crazy. FTP, spell the name of this 1993 film starring Brad Pitt as psycho boy, Juliette Lewis as his girl, and Michelle Forbes and David Duchovny as his friends.
- The first 12 tracks on this band's latest album, Follow The
Leader, contain nothing but blank space. You have to wait until Track
It's On, to actually get music. According to guitarist Munky Shaffer,
was an excuse to try something different. Formed in 1993 in
this quintet opened for Ozzy Osbourne, Megadeth, and KMFDM before
launching its Family Values Tour in 1998. FTP name this group, whose
previous album was the platinum Life Is Peachy.
- It was formed in 1921 with 14 charter schools, all of which
have since joined the SEC or ACC with the exception of Washington and
Lee. Rapidly expanding to 20 schools in 1922, its membership has been
unstable, with 38 different schools having an affiliation at one point.
FTP, name this One-Double-A football conference,
which currently includes the Citadel, V-M-I, and Furman, and whose latest
defector was Marshall.
ANSWER: SOUTHERN Conference
- Chennel McDaniel has destined herself for greatness. Gary Hinsche wants to
come back as a nose ring. India Whisker is looking at you -- not the other way
around. And Jimmy Greenway says "When the world says sit, do the hustle!"
FTP, these four appear on cans of what test-marketed drink, mogul's
Richard Branson's effort to break into the drink market after his forays
into trans-Atlantic air travel and music megastores?
ANSWER: VIRGIN Cola
- Invented by a Canadian couple honeymooning at sea in 1956, Milton Bradley
now owns the rights, but anyone with five dice can play it. Consisting of
twelve rounds each with up to three rounds of die rolls per player, it was
inspired in large part by poker. The categories include chance, which is
simply the sum of the dice, and other categories reflecting the poker
tradition, such as full house, little straight, and big straight. FTP, name
this game, whose name, also the name given to a five-of-a-kind, alludes to the
fact it was designed on a sailing vessel.
ANSWER: YAHTZEE (accept YACHT)
- Louis Pearlman, the man who discovered and groomed this
quintet, sued them in 1998 for 200 million dollars. Pearlman claimed
spent three million dollars on wardrobes, choreography, tutors, and
lessons for them since 1993. But Pearlman says it's just a family
as members Howie Dorough and Nick Carter still call him Big Poppa. FTP
name this quintet, who've made pre-teen girls swoon with such hits as
Quit Playing Games With My Heart and As Long As You Love Me.
ANSWER: BACKSTREET BOYS
- He wasn't born a pauper to a pawn on Christmas, but did buy his
mother a bunch of shoes at Neiman-Marcus after winning the 1997 World Series.
FTP, name this ball player who wears #61 for the Florida marlins, a World Series
MVP whose brother, "El Duque" fled their native Cuba in 1998 and
promptly became a star for the Yankees.
ANSWER: LIVAN HERNANDEZ (more specific on "Hernandez")
- Her sunrunner series contains all sorts of bizarrely-named characters.
Pol is the son of Rohan and Ianthe, although he's raised to believe his true
mother is Sioned. After coming to power as high prince, his wife Meiglan is
killed by the forces of darkness. FTP, name the author of Sunnrunner's Fire
and Stronghold, the creator of this strange fantasy world.
A. Melanie RAWN
- The mark meets a stranger, in many cases an attractive female. She
tells him that her uncle is held captive in an unfriendly foreign country.
She tells the mark that her uncle could bribe his way out, but he can't
gain access to his considerable wealth. The woman asks the mark to front
the bribe money, and in return the uncle will reward him handsomely. The
mark bites, hands over a sum of money to the woman, and she promptly
disappears. That's the basics of, FTP, what con game which shares its
name with a 1998 film written and directed by David Mamet?
ANSWER: The SPANISH PRISONER
- The sequel to this game adds Maya, Tusk, and Kim Wu. In it, you seek
to defeat- or control- the evil Ultratech company through their contest,
overseen by the two-headed firebreathing giant Eyedol. FTP, name this 3-D
fighting game, in which players can choose from, among others, the warrior
monk Jago, the cyborg Fulgore, the alien Glacius, the dino-man Riptor, the
lycanthrope Sabrewulf, and the skeletal warrior Spinal.
ANSWER: KILLER INSTINCT