1998 TRASH Regionals
- 30-20-10 Name the race car driver
-  His moment of infamy came during a 1994 Grand National race
in Bristol, Tennessee when, thinking he won and the race ended under
caution, drove off the track with the pace car. Only trouble was there
was a lap left.
-  Despite racing part-time on the Busch Grand National circuit,
he is the all-time leader in BGN wins with 33.
-  Driver of the #6 Valvoline Ford, this driver won seven
Winston Cup races as of October 15, 1998 and stood behind only Jeff
Gordon in the Winston Cup point standings.
ANSWER: Mark MARTIN
- Given the title of a book by a pro basketball player, name the
hoopster who penned it FTPE.
- Bounce Back
ANSWER: Sheryl SWOOPES
- In The Land of Giants: My Life In Basketball
ANSWER: Tyrone "Muggsy" BOGUES
- Change the Game: One Athlete's Thoughts on Sports, Dreams, and Growing Up
ANSWER: Grant HILL
- As of April 1st, 1998, only five film soundtracks have sold
more than 10 million copies in the United States. FFPE, and a five point
bonus for all five, name them. Hint: the films were released in 1977,
1984, 1987, 1992, and 1994.
ANSWER: SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER, PURPLE RAIN, DIRTY DANCING, THE
BODYGUARD, THE LION KING
- 30-20-10, name the writer.
-  This year saw an album of her favorite songs, original poems, and
vocals, as performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and the Mike
-  Her first novel, Jigsaw, came out in 1925. Her autobiography is
titled I Reach For the Stars.
-  Born in 1901, this relative of Princess Di gained notice in the
Guiness Book of World Records for her prolific output of romance novels.
ANSWER: Barbara CARTLAND
- FTPE, given a list of recurring characters from Saturday Night Live, name
the person who did them. Hint: none are among the crappy current cast.
- Pat Stevens, Liz Sweeney, Joan Baez
ANSWER: Nora DUNN
- Chico Escuela, Cliff (friend of the Wild and Crazy Guys), Pearl Bailey
ANSWER: Garret MORRIS
- Nathan Thurm, Lawrene Orbach, Jackie Rogers Jr.
ANSWER: Martin SHORT
- Identify the NFL teams that hold training camp at the
following colleges, 5PE:
- Western Illinois University
ANSWER: St. Louis RAMS
- Wisconsin - LaCrosse
ANSWER: New Orleans SAINTS
- Anderson University
ANSWER: Indianapolis COLTS
- Georgetown College
ANSWER: Cincinnati BENGALS
- Wisconsin - Platteville
ANSWER: Chicago BEARS
- Wofford College
ANSWER: Carolina PANTHERS
- If you're playing this tournament you probably feel like a nut--but
sometimes you don't. FTP each, given a classic candy bar commercial
tagline, identify the confectionary in question.
- Simply nutritious, outrageously delicious, BLANK I'm yours.
- I was right in the middle of a BLANK when I found gold.
- BLANK satifies.
- Name the Peanuts character from a brief description FTPE.
- She first appeared in the strip as Clara in 1968, but took her place
along side Peppermint Patty under her current name by 1971.
- This youngest Van Pelt first appeared in the strip in 1973, and for
the first few years appeared solely in the seat on the back of his mom's bike.
- First appearing in 1963, her father was influenced by the growing
use of numbers to represent people in society. She had younger twin sisters
named 3 and 4.
- Who shares a birthday with the U-S-A? Name these celebrities
who have Fourth of July birthdays FTPE.
- Managing general partner of the Raiders since 1967, this Hall
of Famer has directed the Silver and Black to three Super Bowls and
two address changes.
ANSWER: Al DAVIS
- The lead singer of both the Babys and Bad English, this Brit
hit the top of the charts in 1984 with Missing You.
ANSWER: John WAITE
- This singer, born in 1938, became a soul sensation in the
early 1970's with such songs as Ain't No Sunshine and Lean On Me.
ANSWER: Bill WITHERS
- Given the appearance of a US President on The Simpsons, name the Commander
in Chief FTPE.
- Ralph Wiggum plays him in a school pageant, and in the Stonecutters
version of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, says that it's time
to party "like 'twas 1799"
ANSWER: George WASHINGTON
- had his head cut off in the very first Itchy cartoon, and survived an
assassination attempt by Abe Simpson.
ANSWER: Teddy ROOSEVELT
- Homer got hired at the nuclear power plant due to his Project Bootstrap,
for which Mr. Burns thanks him. He also moves in across the street from the
Simpsons after the Bushes move out.
ANSWER: Gerald FORD
- Jewelery doesn't just have to be a simple bracelet or necklace.
Identify these unusual items of jewelery for the stated number of points.
-  Though usually just a simple stud or barbell, what makes these
different from earrings is how they are worn- pierced through a man's
penis, in a hole that runs from inside the ureter to the bottom of the glans.
ANSWER: Prince Albert
-  Bridget Fonda's character wore several of them in Jackie Brown, as
we see when she threatens Robert De Niro's drink, but they have been around
for a long time- in The Last Emperor, the Empress puts one on her lesbian
lover with her mouth as an engagement ritual.
ANSWER: TOE RING
-  A metal flower in appearance, a version with a clip on the bottom
is designed to attach to a bra strap, but, when properly worn, it has no
clip and should only be held up by a woman's cleavage.
- Music and passion are *always* in fashion. Everywhere. Answer
these questions about a place where they were famously in fashion for the
stated number of points.
-  First, what was the name of the nightclub, the hottest spot
north of Havana, where music and passion were always in fashion, according
to Barry Manilow?
-  Second, what was the name of the Copacabana's showgirl, who
had feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there?
-  A fight broke out over Lola. We know punches flew, a chair was
smashed in two, and there was blood and a single gunshot, but, for
fifteen points, tell me just *who* *shot* *who*?
ANSWER: RICO SHOT TONY (accept equivalents,
but both names must be correct and the shooter and shootee must be
distinguished. Prompt on "the bartender" for Tony.)
- Another Addams Family movie was released in 1998, but this
one went straight-to-video. Hence, a dip in the quality of actors hired
for the film. Name these stars of Addams Family Reunion FTPE.
- Playing Gomez is the man, whose ABC series Over the Top was
cancelled after three episodes in 1977. Also played the butler in Clue,
and got his break in a 1975 cult classic.
ANSWER: Tim CURRY
- Playing Morticia is this actress, who once accused Jackson
Browne of domestic abuse, and who made a splash in a 1984 Ron Howard
ANSWER: Daryl HANNAH
- Starring as Grandmama is this woman, who played George's mom
ANSWER: Estelle PARSONS
- Have a heart. Heck, have two, if you're playing Hearts, the wacky card
game where the objective is to not get points. Identify the following
things from the game of Hearts family for the stated number of points.
-  In the most popular version of Hearts, this card counts thirteen
points against you.
ANSWER: QUEEN OF SPADES (prompt on BLACK LADY, BLACK MARIA, BITCH, BITCH QUEEN)
-  Although the point is generally not to take heart cards or the
Queen of Spades, taking *all* of them, a condition called this, is the
best possible outcome.
ANSWER: SHOOTing THE MOON
-  This version of Hearts is played with two decks, and if two
identical cards are played on the same hand, neither can win the trick.
ANSWER: CANCELLATION Hearts
- ID the artist from albums, 30-20-10-5-1:
-  Give It Up (1972), Takin' My Time (1973)
-  Green Light (1982), Luck of the Draw (1991)
-  Longing in their Hearts (1994), Road Tested (1995)
-  Fundamental (1998)
-  The Bonnie Raitt Collection 1990
ANSWER: Bonnie RAITT
- Given a description from TRASH's Great Big Bag o' Odd Sexual
Practices, name it for the stated number of points.
-  Capable of being performed vaginally or anally, it consists of
penetration with the entire hand, at least as deep as the wrist, with the
fingers curled under the hand.
ANSWER: FISTING or FIST-FUCKING
-  An innovation commonly found in peep show booths, and sometimes
added by fans to toilet stalls, it consists of a hole cut at hip-height. A
man can place his penis into the hole for presentation to a more-or-less
anonymous neighbor, who do whatever they feel like.
ANSWER: GLORY HOLE
-  One of the pieces of bondage equipment not previously associated
with torture devices, it is an "X"-shaped frame to which people can be
bound or strapped. Better ones are capable of rotating 360 degrees and
being tilted from horizontal to vertical, to better display the person
attached to a crowd.
ANSWER: ST. ANDREW'S CROSS
- Some of the best films ever made never were. Given a description of a
film within a film, name the fake movies for fifteen points each.
- Descibed as "half man, half ant, all terror, it's the movie shown in the John Goodman vehicle Matinee.
- In Robert Townsend's Hollywood Shuffle, this movie gets a High Five on on the movie review show "Sneakin' into the Movies".
ANSWER: ATTACK OF THE STREET PIMPS
- (Audio) Given the game show theme, name the game show FFPE and a five
point bonus for all five.
ANSWER: THE NEWLYWED GAME, FAMILY FEUD, The ($25,000/$100,000) PYRAMID, THE
DATING GAME, G.E. COLLEGE BOWL
- Every one loves a tribute album -- and especially one you buy used
for six bucks. FTPE, given the song from Two Rooms, the Elton John
tribute, ID the irritating pop star or abysmal band who performed it.
- Don't Let the Sun go Down on Me
ANSWER: George MICHAEL
- Come Down in Time
- Daniel's song
ANSWER: WILSON PHILLIPS
- It used to be that being a baseball closer was an exclusive
post. Now it seems anyone can do it. Name these unlikely closers FTPE.
- He rejected a job at 3M to pitch in the independent Prairie
League. Then he was traded to the Braves for six dozen bats and balls.
Now with Mark Wohlers losing his control and his mind, this pitcher has
come in to become the Braves closer.
ANSWER: Kerry LIGTENBERG
- A mediocre starter for nine seasons with Boston and Kansas
City, this man assumed the closer's role with the Red Sox in 1998 and
became an All-Star.
ANSWER: Tom GORDON
- Last year, he led the Phillies with 17 losses. This season, he
took the closer's job from an injured Ricky Bottalico and became a solid
ANSWER: Mark LEITER
- Identify the following things from TRASH's great big bag o' things for
the stated number of points.
-  This hit game by Maxis Software has been superceded by the
"2000" version, but remains the original inspiration for Maxis' simulation
games. In it, you build power plants and roads, and zone land, seeking the
reward of the voters' trust.
ANSWER: SIM CITY
-  This series of disturbing graphic novels by comic legend Frank Miller
includes such hard-boiled titles such as "A Dame to Die For," "Silent
Night," and "Daddy's Little Girl."
ANSWER: SIN CITY
-  It was one of the last outbursts of early 80s rock star symbolic
projects, a project of Ladysmith Black Mambazu, old-school rappers and
E Street Band guitarist Stevie Van Zandt. It protested the apartheid-era
segregated South African vacation destination that was its title,
vociferously claiming that the singers would never play there.
ANSWER: Ain't Gonna Play SUN CITY
- Name the following "personalities" who host shows on the E! cable
channel for the stated number of points.
- FFP, he is the host of Talk Soup.
ANSWER: John HENSON
- FTP, this New York Daily News gossip columnist hosts E! Mysteries & Scandals.
ANSWER: A. J. BENZA
- F15P, he hosts Coming Attractions, featuring film trailers and news on upcoming films.
ANSWER: Todd NEWTON