1998 TRASH Regionals
- Identify the films the following fictional bands appeared in, 10PE, or
5 points each if you need additional clues about a film.
-  Ellen Aim and The Attackers
 Ellen, played by Diane Lane, is kidnapped by Willem DaFoe. Her
ex-boyfriend tries to rescue her, with her manager, played by Rick
Moranis, tagging along.
ANSWER: STREETS OF FIRE
-  The Carry Nations
 This female trio goes to LA to make it big, but get caught up in
the drugs and decadence of the period in this 1970 Russ Meyer film
written by Roger Ebert.
ANSWER: BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
-  The Pinheads
 the Pinheads are told they're "too loud" by a school
official played by Huey Lewis, who performs songs on this film¹s
ANSWER: BACK TO THE FUTURE
- If the USA Network is the cure for the common show, I'd rather keep
the disease. Name the USA show from a description FTPE.
- Brooke Langton, formerly of Melrose Place, stars opposite former
Greatest American Hero William Kaat and one of last year's sitcom losers,
Tim Curry, as a woman fighting to get her life back from computer-savvy
meanies in this adaptation of a Sandra Bullock film.
ANSWER: THE NET
- Vince Karol loses his job as a Miami cop and becomes, what else, a
private investigator. His desire for redemption leads him to try to
understand why the cases he investigates happen. The only person on this
show you may have heard of is Jose Zuniga, last seen in ABC's Nothing
ANSWER: SINS OF THE CITY
- Should either of these shows prove to mentally taxing, tune in
Mondays at 9pm Eastern, 6pm Pacific for this professional wrestling show hosted by Vince
McMahon, Jerry Lawler, and Jim Ross.
ANSWER: WWF RAW
- If you were in the mood for a nice film in the sliced off ear genre,
the Internet Movie Database could suggest 3. FTPE, name...
-  The 1992 film where we don't see LA-area cop Marvin Nash lose his
ear, but we do see the aftermath.
ANSWER: RESERVOIR DOGS
-  The 1986 film which starts with character Jeffrey Beaumont finding a
ANSWER: BLUE VELVET
-  While not in the sliced off ear genre, this 1990 film directed by
Robert Altman and starring Tim Roth may count, as it recounts the life of
the art world's most famous ear slicer.
ANSWER: VINCENT AND THEO
- American-born players are making waves in the NHL. Name these
players born in the U.S.A. FTPE.
- This Boston native spent eight seasons with the Blackhawks
before forcing a trade to Phoenix, where he's centered the Coyotes top
line for three years.
ANSWER: Jeremy ROENICK
- This star of the 1984 U.S. Olympic team overcame half-a-dozen
concussions to tally 406 goals with the Islanders, Sabres, and Rangers.
ANSWER: Pat LAFONTAINE
- The all-time leader in career goals scored by an American,
this native of Hell's Kitchen tallied 501 goals in 17 pro seasons,
primarily with St. Louis, Calgary, and Pittsburgh.
ANSWER: Joey MULLEN
- Frank Sinatra may be gone but his catalog lives on. FTPE, given a
description name the album by the Chairman.
- this 1956 release featured Sinatra singing songs like Anything Goes
and I've Got You Under My Skin with arrangement by Nelson Riddle.
ANSWER: SONGS FOR SWINGIN' LOVERS
- a 1980 Reprise release, each disc has a theme: one covers of
standards, one of contemporary songs, and one an original song suite
composed by Gordon Jenkins.
ANSWER: TRILOGY: PAST PRESENT & FUTURE
- backed by four strings and a small rhythm section, Sinatra croons
love songs. The CD included some songs not on the 1957 LP, including the
jokey There's A Flaw in My Flue.
ANSWER: CLOSE TO YOU
- Given lines from a Doors single, name it for the stated number of points.
-  Sidewalk crouches at her feet/ like a dog that begs for something
sweet/ do you hope to make her see you, fool?
ANSWER: HELLO, I LOVE YOU
-  Breakfast where the news is read/ television children fed/ unborn
living, living dead
ANSWER: The UNKNOWN SOLDIER
-  Blood in the streets/ it's up to my ankles/ blood in the streets/
it's up to my knees
- Given a woman or women who worked on a TV game show, name it for
the stated number of points.
- FFP: Dian Parkinson, Holly Hallstrom, Janice Pennington
ANSWER: THE PRICE IS RIGHT
- FTP: Arlene Francis, Dorothy Kilgallen
ANSWER: WHAT'S MY LINE
- F15P: Summer Bartholemew
ANSWER: $ALE OF THE CENTURY
- Aussies like their soaps just like us Yanks do. FTPE, given a description
name the sudser from Oz.
- The lives of the Hamilton and Palmer families intertwine more than one
would think possible as they live their lives in Sydney and its suburb of Dural.
ANSWER: SONS AND DAUGHTERS
- Australia's first prime-time soap, it was set in an apartment building
in Paddington, Sydney. Noted for its sexual content, residents also had
to deal with the Pantyhose Strangler and a bomb blast in the deli located in
the building's ground floor.
ANSWER: NUMBER 96
- Set at the Wentworth Detention Centre outside of Melbourne, it followed the lives of female convicts and the Centre's staff through obligatory romances- voluntary and otherwise.
ANSWER: PRISONER: CELLBLOCK H
- What is your scariest sports fantasy? The people at DirecTV's
On magazine wanted to know, so they asked one thousand of their
subscribers in 1998. Rank these four choices in order of highest response
to lowest. The four are: dropping the gloves against hockey enforcer Bob
Probert, attempting an open-field tackle on Jerome "The Bus" Bettis,
taking a charge from Shaquille O'Neal, and taking sweet chin music from a
Randy Johnson fastball.
ANSWER: BETTIS, JOHNSON, PROBERT, O'NEAL
- Adore, the June release by the Smashing Pumpkins, comes after some changes to the band.
- FTP, name the drummer who left the group to battle a drug addiction.
ANSWER: Jimmy CHAMBERLIN\240
- FFPE, name the three remaining members of the group.
ANSWER: Billy CORGAN, James IHA, D'ARCY\240
- FFP, Adore is the official follow up to what 1995 album?
ANSWER: MELLON COLLIE AND THE INFINITE SADNESS
- Take two men, add one woman, and you have wacky sitcom hijinx!\240 For
the stated number of points, answer these questions about shows with this
- FFP, this show with a twentysomething threesome took Ellen's spot on
ABC and kept it.\240 The men on the show work at the titular place to make
ANSWER: TWO GUYS A GIRL AND A PIZZA PLACE
- FTP, NBC's attempt at a two guy-one woman show in 1998 was a don't
blink or you'll miss it sitcom where the three share an abode in Denver.
ANSWER: HOUSE RULES
- F15P, an originator of the two guy one woman concept was this show
where, much to the chagrin of their girlfriends, two horny twenty-
somethings hire a buxom domestic, played by Teri Copley.
ANSWER: WE GOT IT MADE
- In the land of USENET, there is no activity so obscure that someone won't
create an "alt." newsgroup for it. For exhibits A through C, we
submit these. Given the intended description of an alt. newsgroup, name it
FTPE. (We say "intended" because we all know how quickly an internet
newsgroup can degenerate into crossposted spam.)
- This newsgroup is dedicated to discussing the fact that rabbits are
intelligent, telepathic, and highly technological beings bent on world
conquest, and whether or not giant ferrets will help humans stop them.
- This newsgroup's readers are planning a future in which they will
drive around the world at top speed randomly blasting each other with guns
and rockets, while the rest of us toil in the slave pits where the oceans
used to be.
- This fan group may have referred to an old Atari 2600 game, or perhaps "a
wrestler with big pecs and a small wee-wee," as one denizen suggested. Nowadays,
it's used to make fun of people's .sig files. Injokes include references to Perth
and acronyms like BUAG ("big ugly ASCII graphic").
- In his service with the CIA, Jack Ryan won three Intelligence Stars.
Each one corresponds to actions he took in three Tom Clancy novels. FTPE,
name the three novels in which Jack Ryan earned those Stars.
ANSWER: THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER, CARDINAL OF THE KREMLIN, CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER
- ID these "Freaky" movies, FTPE:
- Part of the "parent and child switch brains" genre is this Disney film starring Jodie Foster and Barbara Harris. Based on a book by Mary Rodgers.
ANSWER: FREAKY FRIDAY
- This 1932 film, subtitled "Nature's Mistakes" was based on Ted Robbins story "Spurs." The sideshow gets its revenge on a circus strong man and his trapeze-swinging girlfriend. It was controversial and banned repeatedly, but unlike similar movies, was not made to be an "exploitation film."
- You may have missed Keanu Reeves as Dog Boy in this forgettable 1993 comedy starring Alex Winter as the spokesman for a toxic fertilizer, and Randy Quaid as a freakshow owner who uses the fertilizer to mutate Winter, Brooke Shields, and a host of others.
- With a name like "Ultima," can it not be the ultimate adventure game?
Identify the following things about the Ultima series of games FTPE.
- Though the Ultima games have been released by both SirTech and Origin,
the game's designer has remained the same. FTP, name the world of
Ultima's eccentric ren-faire loving designer.
ANSWER: LORD BRITISH
- The latest release by Lord British for the world of Ultima is "Ultima
Online," which can be played by a thousand of people at a time. FTP, what
name is given to the "Ultima Online" game?
ANSWER: Ultima Online: The SECOND AGE
- This old Apple, IBM, and Commodore game has been called Ultima Zero,
as Lord British designed many of the game's fundamental rules in it. FTP,
name this game, whose link to the Ultima world was confirmed when its name
became the subtitle of Ultima II.
- In June, eight WAC schools announced that they were breaking away
from the 16 school behemoth conference. This leaves 8 schools that will
be in the WAC, none of whom were charter members when the conference
formed in 1962. FFPE, name any 6 of the 8 schools that will still be
able to call themselves members of the WAC post-split.
ANSWER: FRESNO STATE, HAWAII, SAN JOSE STATE, SOUTHERN METHODIST or SMU, TEXAS CHRISTIAN or TCU, TEXAS-EL PASO or UTEP, TULSA, RICE
- FTP each, name these "men" found among the criminal element.
- This man's job is to deliver money from one person to another,
such as a Mob guy who collects protection money or a Mob guy who delivers
bribe money to cops or judges for their understanding.
ANSWER: BAG MAN
- Also known as a soldier or a wiseguy, he is the lowest ranking man
in a Mob family. He has to earn his own living, but may get a cut of Mob
loansharking or own a legitimate business as a Mob front.
ANSWER: BUTTON MAN
- At the turn of the century, when every dance hall and saloon had a
game room in the back, they would pay weekly protection to the police.
The cop who collected the money was known as this because of what he
needed to carry all the payoffs.
ANSWER: BUCKET MAN
- One wonders if LL Cool J is a Superman fan. Identify these LLÕs from
the Superman Universe for the stated number of points.
- FFP, a girlfriend of Clark's while growing up in Smallville, she
was played by Annette O'Toole in Superman 3, and is voiced by Joely Fisher
in the current animated series.
ANSWER: LANA LANG
- FTP, This is the secret identity of Supergirl.
ANSWER: LINDA LEE Danvers
- F15P, In the early sixties, Clark Kent proposed to this telepathic
mermaid. She turned him down.
ANSWER: LORI LEMARIS
- Given some "subspecies" of a type of bad guys, identify the general
type of foe, as found in the game "Diablo" FTPE.
- Carver, Dark One, Devil Kin
ANSWER: FALLEN ONE
- Fire Clan, Flesh Clan, Stone Clan
ANSWER: GOAT MAN
- Bone Gnasher, Plague Eater, Shadow Beast
- Name the NBA player from their tattoos FTPE.
- His name is on one arm and Mighty Mouse on the other.
ANSWER: Damon STOUDAMIRE
- Fred Flintstone is tattooed on this Jazz center's calf.
ANSWER: Greg OSTERTAG
- This T-Wolf's tattoo features his initials and an arm holding a
basketball with the words "Blood, Sweat and Tears."
ANSWER: Kevin GARNETT
- What are you training for? If you're a trashaholic, it's remembering
what athletes appear in Nike's new ad campaign so you can answer questions
like this one. FTP, given a description name the athlete.
- a man choking in a restaurant is saved when she gets up, walks over
to his table, and spikes him in the back, dislodging the food.
ANSWER: Gabrielle REECE
- he makes a little Brett Favre jersey, puts it on a chicken, and
chases it around until he gets to grill it.
ANSWER: John RANDLE
- the offensive line of this team takes it on the road in more ways
than one, when they stand in a street in Pamplona to take on the bulls.
ANSWER: DENVER BRONCOS
- Given a brand of flavored liquor, give its primary flavor for the
stated number of points.
-  Malibu
-  Amaretto
-  Grand Marnier
-  Southern Comfort