1998 TRASH Regionals
- Owing to its astonishingly high caffeine content, the back has a
warning label addressed to children and caffeine-sensitive people. Made by
the Hansen company, some stores initially refused to carry it because the
label and marketing materials made it seem more like a malt liquor than a
sports drink. FTP, name this drink, whose slogan is "when you need the
maximum," whose compelling label shows a being of supernatural evil drawn
to resemble a superhero.
ANSWER: RED DEVIL
- Sean Penn, Woody Harrelson, John Cusack, Nick Nolte and Bill Pullman are all in this movie, but its most enigmatic figure is director Terrence Malick, who is making his third movie 20 years after the first two. It concerns a company of soldiers trying to take a hill on Guadalcanal in 1942. FTP, name this film, which also features John Travolta and George Clooney.
ANSWER: The THIN RED LINE
- Baltimore Oriole Brady Anderson claims to be the originator
of this, first doing it in 1989 in an effort to combat Bash Brothers Mark
McGwire and Jose Canseco. White Sox catcher Chad Kreuter claims this
gesture debuted pre-Bash Brothers, around 1986 or so. Whenever it
started, this evolution of forearm-bashing has put an end to the high
five. FTP name this fist-to-fist congratulatory gesture of baseball
ANSWER: THE BONE
- He was created in 1956, and originally had a plaid scarf and curling
whiskers that made him look like a four-legged David Niven. He has a
nameless wife, namesake son, and a daughter, Antoinette, who hasn't
been seen since a 1974 commercial. His voice is provided by Thurl
Ravenscroft, who provided the singing voice of the Grinch in How the
Grinch Stole Christmas. FTP name this animal, whose been the spokesbeast
for Frosted Flakes for 42 years.
ANSWER: TONY the Tiger
- Her father's bizarre traning regimen included graveyard campouts and
trips to pit bull fights. He even had her walk up flights of stairs
backwards to build her thigh muscles, and still he claims he's no Earl
Woods. FTP name this phenom, winner of the US Women's Open and Dinah
Shore Championship, whose score of 61 at the Jamie Farr Kroeger classic
set a new single-round record for the LPGA.
ANSWER: Se Ri PAK
- This band's label and merchandising arm, Bama Rags, controls
18 incorporated entities, including the band's 10-acre enclave in
Virginia. Formed in 1991 thru a series of basement taping sessions,
lead singer is a South African who was discovered bartending at
a Charlottesville hangour popular among musicians. FTP name this band,
whose latest album is Before These Crowded Streets.
ANSWER: DAVE MATTHEWS BAND
- This man, born in 1916, is credited with running the first
modern T-formation in the NFL. In 12 seasons, he set team records for
career passing yards and touchdowns, won six All-Pro awards, and led his
team to four NFL titles, including a 73-0 drubbing of the Redskins in
1940. FTP name this Hall of Fame quarterback, the NFL's MVP in 1943, who
died in 1998 at age 81.
ANSWER: Sid LUCKMAN
- Born in Michigan in 1945, this actor first achieved fame as
one of the corpse-nabbing victims in 1978's Coma. On the last season of
The Rockford Files, he played Jim Rockford's chief rival, Lance White.
Film work included playing King Ferdinand in Christopher Columbus: The
Discovery, a jewel thief in Lassiter, and a futuristic cop in Runaway.
FTP name this actor, best known for his role as Hawaiian-based detective
ANSWER: Tom SELLECK
- Armed with such skills as Nerves of Steel, The Right Stuff, Thick Skull,
Two Heads, Tentacles, and the Hail Mary, teams, among them teams of humans
and elves and orcs and undead and slann and skaven, face off on the field of
battle. Chainsaws, guns, razor-sharp claws, and hypnotic powers are just some
of the devices used to gain an edge over one another. FTP, name this board
game, in which the teams, such as the dreaded Orcland Raiders, play a game
very similar to football until the field is littered with corpses.
ANSWER: BLOOD BOWL
- The cover of her most recent book, already showing the author
extending her middle finger in such a way to make it a letter in its pro-
vocative title, was missing one thing: a nipple. Seated and topless, her
left nipple should be showing, but it doesn't. Publisher Doubleday says there
was no retouching, but the author assumed the photo was retouched to not
further offend people. FTP, name the author who appeared in almost all
the alltogether on the cover of Bitch, her follow-up to 1994's Prozac Nation.
ANSWER: Elizabeth WURTZEL
- Originally an Obie-winning one woman play by Eve Engler, it was made into
a book. At a high-society benefit for a number of womenÕs groups, portions of
it were read aloud by celebrities, including Barbara Walters, Susan Sarandon,
Margaret Cho and Winona Ryder. FTP, name this play, a discussion of genitalia
in their own words by dozens of women worldwide, which got its biggest
national attention when the national entertainment news covered Callista
Flockhart's reading of "Clitoris."
ANSWER: The VAGINA MONOLOGUES
- "To recap those revisions: women are still worth 10 points more than men in all age brackets, but teenagers now rack up 40 points, and toddlers under 12 now rate a big 70 points. The big score: anyone, any sex, over 75 years old has been upped to 100 points." These were the rules of the race run by Machine Gun Joe Viterbo and Frankenstein in this movie. FTP, name this 1975 cult classic starring David Carradine and Sylvester Stallone.
ANSWER: DEATH RACE 2000
- (Audio) This singer has long been lambasted for being nothing
more than pop drivel by critics. FTP name this singer, given this
20-second response to his critics.
ANSWER: Barry MANILOW
- Cameron, Owen's ne'er do well brother on Partners. Drew Kellerman,
troubled brother of Mike Kellerman, on Homicide. Alan Tofsky, Jamie
Buckman's cartoonist boyfriend on Mad About You. These are some of the TV
character that have been played by, FTP, what actor who currently plays a
doctor on Chicago Hope.
ANSWER: Eric STOLTZ
- The industrial punk group Big Black. The McLean Stevenson Show. The
Women's Christian Temperance Union. John Cusack and Jeremy Piven.
All these things were founded, located, based, or born in, FTP, what
Chicago suburb, also the home of Northwestern University?
- According to Homer Simpson, this Michigan-based band featured the wild shirtless lyrics of Mark Farmer, the pulse-beating bass of Mel Schacter, and the competent drumming of Don Brewer. Between 1970 and 1976, this band earned 11 gold or platinum records, and broke the Beatles ticket sale record at Shea Stadium in 1971. FTP name this hard-rock band, whose hits included Some Kind of Wonderful, The Locomotion, and We're An American Band.
ANSWER: GRAND FUNK RAILROAD or GRAND FUNK (Yes, we know it's not "pulse-beating" -- not that that stops us, usually...)
- Ross Shaffer hosted this game show's short lived fourth version, which aired
during the 1990-91 season. The first three versions all had the same
host. Johnny Olson was the announcer for the first two versions, while
Gene Wood announced the next two. The host of the planned fifth incarnation is Michael Burger.
While game play has varied between all
of them, the basic idea remained the same: contestants try to fill a space
in a phrase or sentence with the same word as a panel of celebrities.
FTP, name the game show this describes, best known for legendary host Gene
ANSWER: MATCH GAME
- Its musical numbers include You¹re Getting To Be A Habit With Me, Young And Healthy, and Shuffle Off To Buffalo, as well as the title song, which is the finale. Costarring Dick Powell, Warner Baxter, and a young Ginger Rogers as "Anytime Annie," it marked the Hollywood debut of Ruby Keeler, whose character goes out there a youngster, but comes back a star. FTP, name this 1933 Best Picture nominee, the first Warner Brothers film to feature dance numbers by Busby Berkeley.
ANSWER: FORTY-SECOND STREET
- Among the 350 titles in this book series are Cooking by Miller and
Rama, Personal Finance by Eric Tyson, Netscape and the World Wide Web by Paul
Hoffman, Windows 98 by Eric Rathbone, Football by Howie Long, Golf by Gary
McCord, Figure Skating by Kristi Yamaguchi, and Sex by Dr. Ruth
Westheimer. FTP give the two words that complete the titles of these
books, published by IDG Books Worldwide.
ANSWER: FOR DUMMIES
- Waring Hudsucker in The Hudsucker Proxy; Lew in One Fine Day; Santa Claus in Elmo Saves Christmas; Colonel Erhardt in To Be Or Not To Be; these are just a drop in the ocean of roles this character actor has played. FTP, name this man who played Doc Hopper in The Muppet Movie and Lt. William Snyder in The Sting.
ANSWER: Charles DURNING
- In his first adventure, among other misdeeds he called in a phony fire
alarm, broke out of jail, flew using helium balloons, and caused a horrible
traffic jam. Later, he expanded to drug use, passing out on self-administered
ether. His drug use didn't seem to hurt his balance, as he later bicycled
balanced on his bike's rear tire all the way back to the Man In The Yellow
Hat's house. FTP name this loveable monkey, who tried to be good, but was
ANSWER: CURIOUS GEORGE
- Mondo Hollywood includes a bebop version of Moon River, and Nelson
Riddle¹s ³Your Zowie Face² from In Like Flint. Organs In Orbit,
volume 16, includes two selections from former pitching great Denny
McLain, including The Girl From Ipanema. Other volumes include Mondo
Exotica, Rhapsodesia, and Cha-Cha de Amor. If all of these are too
overwhelming, you could check out the Leopard-Skin Sampler. FTP, name
this series of lounge-music compilations from Capitol Records,
currently at 18 volumes and counting.
- It consists of a tearing or straining of the muscle fibers of the hip
abductors and flexors which connect the lower femur to the pubic bone. A
kind of sprain, they can occur on a long step, a blow to the muscle, a
twist, or any stress to the muscle, and they occur in most every sport.
FTP identify this common injury, the mention of which used to prompt
Keith Olbermann to say, "His own, we hope."
ANSWER: GROIN PULL or PULLED GROIN muscle (prompt on: GROIN STRAIN)