1998 TRASH Regionals
- 30-20-10, name the professional football team.
-  In 1992, it led its league in attendance with just over 32000 fans
per game. It has led the league in attendance ever since.
-  Once coached by Jack Elway, it won its first league title in
1995 under Ernie Stautner. The team was quarterbacked that year by Paul
Justin, who was the championship game's MVP.
-  It lost the 1996 World Bowl to the Scottish Claymores. It is one
of the three original teams from the World League of American Football
that currently plays in NFL Europe, and has always played home games at
ANSWER: Frankfurt Galaxy
- Given a famous person, identify the 7-number code they would advocate
that you use before dialing a long-distance call in order to save money
- Sugar Ray Leonard
- Tony Danza
- Kevin Nealon
- ID the band from albums FTPE:
- Reign In Blood, Diabolus In Musica
- Music, Transistor
- Rapid City Muscle Car, Kids on the Street
ANSWER: CHERRY-POPPIN' DADDIES
- Given a regular column from a magazine, name the mag it appears in FTPE.
- The Steering Column
ANSWER: CAR AND DRIVER
- In the Mix
ANSWER: The NEW REPUBLIC
- Identify the teams in the National BASEketball League from their locations, 5PE:
- San Antonio
- New Jersey
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles
- Given an English translation of a Chinese translation of the title of
a recent hit movie, name the movie for the stated number of points. For
example, if I said "Mr. Cat Poop," you would of course say "As Good As It
Gets." Well, the rest of them are somewhat more intuitive.
-  Mysterious Murder in Snowy Cream
 1996, Frances McDorman, Steve Buscemi, William H. Macy
-  Six Naked Pigs
 1997, Robert Carlisle, Tom Wilkinson, Mark Addy
ANSWER: The FULL MONTY
-  His Powerful Device Makes Him Famous
 1997, Burt Reynolds, Mark Wahlberg
ANSWER: BOOGIE NIGHTS
- Shopping malls - not just Sears and the ignored organ store anymore.
Name these malls of the future for the stated number of points.
-  This mall outside Minneapolis features the Knotts Camp Snoopy
amusement park, and holds the title of largest mall in the 48 contiguous
ANSWER: MALL OF AMERICA
-  The largest mall in North America is a more-than-800 store monstrosity
in this western Canadian city.
-  Opened in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1998, this first shopping mall
for kids features a movie theater with car-shaped seats, and a restaurant
that serves more than 50 types of peanut butter-and-jelly sandwiches.
ANSWER: MACKIE'S WORLD
- Despite the release of the sequel, Capcom's "Resident Evil" remains
one of the most-played games in the "shoot everything that moves" genre.
Identify these people who reside in Resident Evil for the stated number of
-  First, FTPE, name either of the members of Alpha Team available for
use as a player.
ANSWER: CHRIS and/or REDFIELD, JILL and/or VALENTINE
-  Now, FFPE, name any two of the other four members of Alpha Team.
ANSWER: WESKER, BARRY and/or BURTON, JOSEPH, BRAD or CHICKENHAWK
- Name the 1990s film from a description for the stated number of
- FFP, this 1995 film put Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes, and John
Leguizamo in women's clothing as they play drag queens who get stuck in a
small town while on their way to Los Angeles.
ANSWER: TO WONG FOO THANKS FOR EVERYTHING! JULIE NEWMAR
- FTP, Jada Pinkett Smith plays the title character in this 1998 film
about a woman who's been dumped one too many times. She just might find
love with a blind date played by Tommy Davidson, but they might just kill
each other instead.
- F15P, Johnathon Schaech (of That Thing You Do! fame) plays a con man
who flees New York only to wind up in an Australian outback town full of
typically oddball characters in this 1997 film. Tina Louise co-stars.
ANSWER: WELCOME TO WOOP-WOOP
- 30-20-10 idenify the fantasy author from titles.
-  Lucia Triumphant, The Walled Orchard
-  Goatsong, Ye Gods, Flying Dutch
-  Expecting Someone Taller, Who's Afraid of Beowulf?
ANSWER: Tom HOLT
- FTP each, answer these questions about the glamorous world of gambling.
- A spieler, or broad tosser, is a dealer of what card game and con job?
ANSWER: THREE CARD MONTY
- This is the term for the house cut of the proceeds in an illegal gambling den.
- While the person called this appears to be a legitimate player,
they are actually paid by the gaming house to make tables look busy. In
some cases the house allows this person to win in order to bring in
- Given a set of episode topics from a daytime talk show, name the show that
aired them FTPE.
- It's Never Been Clearer, You Should Stop Looking in the Mirror; It
Wasn't My Choice I Was Born With This Voice; You're Dressing Too Wild For a
Woman With Child
ANSWER: JENNY JONES
- Teens Who Weigh More Than 400 Pounds, Today I'll Tell You Why Men Dis
You, I Can't Believe You Told Everyone My Secret!
ANSWER: RICKI LAKE
- People's Most Beautiful 50 People, Millionaire-A-Minute, Best Buying Advice We've Heard
ANSWER: The OPRAH Winfrey Show
- Given members of a panel talk show, name it FTPE.
- Ben Wattenberg hosts, the rest of the panel is composed of guests.
ANSWER: THINK TANK
- Mark Shields, Robert Novak, Kate O'Bierne, Margaret Carlson
ANSWER: The CAPITOL GANG
- Cokie Roberts, Bill Kristol, George Will
ANSWER: THIS WEEK
- Given the lesser known name of a recurring Saturday Night Live character,
name who plays them FTPE. If you need the better known name, you
get 5 points.
- 10: Jonathan Jan Kolavecci
5: Master Thespian
ANSWER: Jon LOVITZ
- 10: Kenneth Reese Evans
5: Cucumber Jones, host of Theater Stories
ANSWER: Mike Meyers
- 10: Derek Stevens
5: the "chopping broccoli" singer
ANSWER: Dana CARVEY
- TRASH urges you to say "no" to drugs, except in the context of this
question, where you'll have to say something else. Given a street name of
a drug, give the "proper" name FTPE.
ANSWER: NITROUS OXIDE or LAUGHING GAS
(Note: This is N20, in case some weisenheimer just says "NO" as the answer)
- Dennis the Menace
ANSWER: MDMA or ECSTASY
- The Kind
- FTPE, given a trio of schools name the NCAA division 1-AA football
conference they all play in.
- Northeastern, Villanova, Rhode Island
ANSWER: ATLANTIC 10
- Youngstown State, Northern Iowa, Indiana State
- Prarie View A&M, Alcorn State, Arkansas-Pine Bluff
ANSWER: SOUTHWEST Athletic or SWAC
- Answer these questions about the 1998 CMA Awards for the
stated number of points.
-  This man took a record fourth straight award as
Entertainer of the Year.
ANSWER: Garth BROOKS
-  This man broke Merle Haggard's record for most career CMA
nominations in 1998 by earning his 47th.
ANSWER: George STRAIT
-  This singer and former member of the Pure Prairie League
hosted the CMA's for the 7th straight year, prompting friends to call
him Hillbilly Crystal.
ANSWER: Vince GILL
- For the stated number of points, given a superhero or alter-ego from a
comic strip, name the comic strip.
- FFP, Spaceman Spiff
ANSWER: CALVIN AND HOBBES
- FTP, Slug Man
ANSWER: FOX TROT
- F15P, Supercaptaincoolman
- Given lyrics from a song from the 80s, name it FTPE. If you need
the band that released it, you'll get five points.
-  Somehow I lost my way/ looking to see something in your eyes/ but love will never compromise
ANSWER: HEART AND SOUL
-  And all these nights I sat alone waiting for someone/ And here you
are, my very own, waiting for so long/ I want to give you more than
you have known before
 Air Supply
ANSWER: HEART AND SOUL
-  And if it got hot and hectic/ I know she'd be electric/ I let her
steal the night away from me
 Huey Lewis and the News
ANSWER: HEART AND SOUL
- After Woodstock and before Woodstock 2, there was Live Aid.
Answer these questions about the Live Aid concerts for the stated
- FFPE, name the two cities that hosted Live Aid concerts on
July 13, 1985
ANSWER: LONDON, PHILADELPHIA
-  This artist was the only one to perform in both
Philadelphia and London. He performed with Sting and Julian Lennon,
then hopped the Concorde for Philly.
ANSWER: Phil COLLINS
-  Collins stepped in on drums for this reunited band at the Philly show
ANSWER: LED ZEPPELIN
- In their 36-year history, the New York Mets have employed 112
men at third base. Name these Mets hot cornermen of lore FTPE.
- Before Todd Hundley set the record for most homers by a
switch-hitter in a season in 1996, this Met, inept at third, short, and
centerfield, held the record with 38 homers in 1991.
ANSWER: Howard JOHNSON
- He was Milwaukee's lone representative at the 1998 All-Star Game.
ANSWER: Fernando VINA
- This player platooned with Wally Backman at second for the
1986 Mets. Best known for his last name, which is German for devil.
ANSWER: Tim TEUFEL
- 13 TV series in 20 years? How pathetic! How mediocre! How
Urich! Name these Robert Urich TV series for the stated number of points.
- FFP, this Urich detective series, based in Boston, spawned a
spinoff, A Man Called Hawk, staring Avery Brooks.
ANSWER: SPENCER: FOR HIRE
- FTP, Urich played Dan Tanna, a private eye working alongside
the glitz and glamour of the city that never sleeps in this 1978-1981
- F15P, This syndicated fare featured Urich as an amnesia-stricken cowpoke,
who searched the Old West for his identity and those that left him for dead.
ANSWER: THE LAZARUS MAN