1998 TRASH Regionals
- According to Entertainment Weekly, this rocker has been in
drug rehab 14 times in the past three year, including a brief stay in
New York center in 1998 after being caught buying heroin at a
drug house. His first solo album, 1998's 12-Bar Blues, sold only
90-thousand copies, less than his old bandmates first release for
new project, Talk Show. FTP name this man, the spaced-out,
lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots.
ANSWER: Scott WEILAND
- He died on November 13, 1990, at age 15, at which time he was earning
million dollars a year. Whether his death by broken leg was accidental or
an insurance scam came under scrutiny in the June perjury trial of Alton
Stone, a substitute watchman at the financially-troubled Calumet Farm the
night of the accident. FTP, name this racehorse, a runner-up to Affirmed
the 1978 Triple Crown races, and sire to Alysheba and Easy Goer.
- Promoters hoped to have 90-thousand people attend this
weekend event in New York in August 1998, but critics put the total at
around 50-thousand. The first day featured Don Henley and Stevie
while the second day featured 1969 originals Richie Havens and Pete
Townshend. The final day went modern, with performances by Third Eye
Blind and Joan Osborne. FTP name this concert event, held at Max
farm in Bethel, New York, during the 29th anniversary of Woodstock.
ANSWER: A DAY IN THE GARDEN
- One of this actor's first jobs in Hollywood was to dub 12 voices for
the American release of Rodan. Born in 1939 in the Boyle section of Los
Angeles, he was only a toddler when he and his family were sent to live in
an Arkansas internment camp during World War II, an experience he wrote
about in his 1994 autobiography, To The Stars. FTP name this actor, who
voiced the First Ancestor in 1998's Mulan, best known as Sulu in the
original Star Trek.
ANSWER: George TAKEI
- At the start of the 1998 season, according to the NFL Players Association, he was the lowest
paid starting quarterback for 1998, making 300-thousand dollars this
year. Originally scheduled to make 5-point-2-5 million this year, he
restructured his contract twice, first so his team could sign their 1998
draft picks, and the second in a failed attempt to encourage lineman Gary
Zimmerman out of retirement a second time. FTP name this signal-caller,
who won the Super Bowl in his fourth attempt with Denver in 1998.
ANSWER: John ELWAY
- This soap was originally called The Innocent Years, but was
changed by co-creator Bill Bell before its March 1973 debut. The only
show to win five Daytime Emmys for best daytime show, its many firsts
include the first character to receive a vasectomy, and the first bulimic
character. In 1984, they went into the operating room, where matriarch
Jeanne Cooper had a face lift. FTP name this soap, starring Peter Bergman
and Jess Walton, which marked 500 straight weeks as TV's highest-rated
soap in July 1998.
ANSWER: The YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS
- According to Bazaar magazine, this 57-year-old ex-stockbroker
checks her e-mail every night at 12:30, sleeps four hours a night, and
exercises 90 minutes a day. The rest of her day is devoted to her work,
whether it be her syndicated TV show, her radio snippets for CBS Radio,
her lifestyle pieces for CBS This Morning, her Living line at KMart, and
her Living magazine. FTP name this alleged queen of home lifestyle.
ANSWER: Martha STEWART
- The dogs on the labels are named Pete and Becky, and they go to work with
their owners every day. The boat is called the Allserve. If you knew these
facts, you've been checking out the infonuggets on the bottom of the caps
of these drinks. They were first made by two college buddies from Brown
University, who sold them from the deck of the Allserve. FTP, name this line
of drinks, owned by Tom Scott and Tom First, two self-proclaimed "juice
guys" who started by selling to the proud and eccentric residents of the
company's namesake island.
ANSWER: NANTUCKET NECTARS
- When he was 19, this actor auditioned for 90210 in 1991. The
casting director told him he wasn't energetic enough. He opted then for a
role as Joe Willie Clemons on NBC's Against the Grain two years later. He
first earned his praise for a string of indy films, as O'Bannion in Dazed
and Confused, Shannon Hamilton in Mallrats, and Holden McNeil in Chasing
Amy. FTP name this actor, featured in Armageddon, best known as the other
half of the writing team responsible for Good Will Hunting.
ANSWER: Ben AFFLECK
- White signifies correct, while black signifies correct but misplaced.
There is no signal for wrong. The red, blue, green, yellow, orange, and brown
pegs have no inherent meaning at all. FTP, name this game, in which the
titular player awards black and white pegs to the guessing player based on how
accurately the player guesses the hidden four-peg sequence.
- While visiting Russia for a preseason tournament in 1998,
this Canadian allegedly told a Russian journalist that Hitler had some of
the right ideas and U.S. blacks were growing at an alarming rate. A
two-time Hart Trophy winner, in 1965 and 1966, he left the Blackhawks to
join the WHA's Winnipeg Jets in 1972, and won two WHA MVP trophies, as
well as scored 77 goals in the 1974-75 season. FTP name this Hockey Hall
of Famer, nicknamed the Golden Jet, whose son, Brett, is a current NHL
ANSWER: Bobby HULL
- The test subjects for this product included Bob Dole, who attested that
the product was wonderful, and he should have bought stock in it long ago.
Not long after, Liddy Dole bought a red convertible. No other famous people
have admitted using it, though Jack Nicholson hinted at it in a Playboy article. FTP, name this product, described by
Playboy founder Hugh Hefner -- who should know -- as a product likely to change
the world, which instantly became fodder for late night comics when Pfizer
released it as the first ever guaranteed anti-impotency drug.
- You attend a lunch and gorge yourself so that you can hardly move,
but nonetheless, a woman asks you to dance. A yellow-clad woman
invites you to sit next to you in a theatre. As the best man in your
best friendıs brotherıs wedding, a bridesmaid winks at you. FTP,
what should you do in any of these situations, according to Young MC?
ANSWER: BUST A MOVE
- He learned his sword skills from Katsuichi, whom he met while
traveling to the Dogora fencing school. He won his Daisho in a tournament
by beating his childhood rival Kenichi. His wakizashi is called Aoyagi, his
katana yagi no eda. After leaving Katsuichi he entered the employ of Lord
Mifune. He is left to defend Mifune alone when Gunichi, the lord's bodyguard,
betrays him. Mifune is killed, and our hero becomes ronin, wandering Japan.
So goes the story of, FTP, what now-Dark Horse Comics title character, created
by Stan Sakai, whose name translates into English as "rabbit bodyguard"?
ANSWER: USAGI YOJIMBO (accept MIYAMOTO USAGI)
- It took them until their 19th Top 40 hit to hit #1 on the Hot
100 chart in 1998, a Billboard record. Formed in Sunapee, New
in 1970, this quintet first split up in 1979, following the release of
their Night of the Rats album. Reunited in 1987, they starred in their
own coin-op video game, Revolution X, in 1993. FTP name this hard-rock
group whose first #1 single, I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing, is featured
the Armageddon soundtrack.
- Gordon Krantz had a problem. Robbed and left to freeze to death by a
group led by Roger Septien, Krantz spends the night holed up in an abandoned
government vehicle. Borrowing the uniform and leather bag of the corpse
he discovers in the vehicle the next morning, he roams what was once Oregon
pretending to be what the uniform suggests. As the people he meets begin
to believe his stories of a revived federal government, he crosses paths with
local warlord Volsci Macklin. So goes, FTP, what novel by David Brin that
is better known as a horrid 1997 film by Kevin Costner.
ANSWER: THE POSTMAN
- The hosts are the tuxedo-cladded Nick Diamond and Johnny Gomez, with
locker room interviews by Stacy Cornbread and occassional guest commentary
from Marv Albert and Stone Cold Steve Austin. The first-ever bout saw
Marilyn Manson de-skeletize Charles Manson. Marilyn returned, dropping the
ceiling lights in the middle of the Hanson-Spice Girls match. FTP name
this MTV show, where clay impressions of Hollywood stars battle in the
ring for supremacy.
ANSWER: CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH
- This seven-man band was formed and made their TV debut in June 1998.
Chic's Nile Rodgers wrote the music for their first album, which can be
found in the July 13, 1998 edition of ESPN magazine. That album, Overtime,
features such tunes as Monday Night, Lovely Comets, Starzz Come Out At
Night, and Rebecca Lobo. FTP name this group, famed for their matching
orange-and-white suits, who use their tunes to preview matchups for ESPN's
women's pro basketball telecasts.
ANSWER: The W-N-B-AYS
- Danny Glover plays Easy Money, and Gregory Hines is Goldy. In this movie version of a Chester A. Himes novel, the action is about Inabelle, played by Robin Givens, a femme fatale who storms into 1950s Harlem with a trunkful of stolen gold, and the gangsters she stole it from on her tail. Miraculously, Jackson, played by Forrest Whitaker, is willing to help her only for love. FTP, name this 1991 film.
ANSWER: A RAGE IN HARLEM
- The director of this movie applied with the Directors Guild for Alan Smithee credit on this film, which the Guild denied because he had already bad-mouthed the film publicly -- as in "cryptic full-page ads in Variety" publicly. Beverly D'Angelo, Avery Brooks and Edward Furlong all play in this film, as did Edward Norton, who added 25 pounds of muscle for the part. FTP, name this film about a charismatic skinhead directed and disowned by Tony Kaye.
ANSWER: AMERICAN HISTORY X
- When Hyperion signed writers from this paper to a two book deal they
expected great things. What they got in the first mauscript, Our Dumb
Century, included negative references towards Walt Disney. As Disney owns
Hyperion, it was a quick parting of they ways and an auction of the manuscript
to Crown. FTP, what humor publication penned this manuscript, another
body of work from America's Finest News Source?
ANSWER: The ONION
- While much has been made of the iMac's revolutionary design this
year, some have noted its resemblance to the Rowenta Surfline, a
clear-teal and white model of, FTP, what household item?
ANSWER: an IRON