1998 TRASH Regionals
- Operation takes concentration, Operation a game we all can play.
Demonstrate your medical knowledge by, FFPE, naming any six of the seven
items removed in that original buzzer game, Operation.
ANSWER: BROKEN HEART, WRITER'S CRAMP or WRITER'S BLOCK (in different editions), WATER ON THE KNEE, FUNNY BONE, WRENCHED ANKLE, ADAM'S APPLE, BUTTERFLIES IN THE STOMACH (accept equivalents)
- You don't need to be on the skids watching soaps all day in your
undies to truly enjoy them. Prove you've wasted hundreds of hours of your
own life on the soaps by naming the daytime dramas from clues FTPE.
- Mike Karr and his colleagues solved crimes and dealt with typical
soapy situations in Monticello in this soap, which ran from 1956 to 1984,
first on CBS and then on ABC.
ANSWER: The EDGE OF NIGHT
- Set in Genoa City, Wisconsin, this show's theme song was used by
Nadia Comaneci at the 1976 Summer Olympics.
ANSWER: THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS
- Set in Springfield, lllinois, it centers on the Bauers, a close-knit
ANSWER: GUIDING LIGHT
- 30-20-10-5-1, give the number from its appearance in various games.
-  It is the armor class of a Giant Slug in Dungeons & Dragons.
-  It is the rank of the miner in Stratego.
-  It is the minimum number of tricks that must be won to fulfill a 2 No Trump bid in Bridge.
-  It is the value of the word "Word" in Scrabble, assuming no bonus letter or word scores.
-  It is the "crazy" card in Crazy Eights.
- 30-20-10-5, ID this SF film from quotes:
- "My people are impatient with stupidity. We have learned to live without it."
- "We have come to visit you in peace and with goodwill."
- "Your choice is simple. Join us and live in peace or pursue your present course and face obliteration. We shall be waiting for your answer. The decision rests with you.
- "Gort! Klaatu barado nikto!"
ANSWER: The DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
- You maybe able to name the Diamondbacks fourth starters, over
the Ravens nickelback, but what do you know about obscure U.S. sports
leagues? Match the sports league with its team FFPE, and a five point
bonus for all five. The leagues are: Major League Roller Hockey, National
Volleyball Association, World TeamTennis, National Lacrosse League, and
Women's Pro Fastpitch. The teams are: Idaho Sneakers, Tampa Bay FireStix,
Wisconsin Fury, New York Riot, and Syracuse Smash.
ANSWER: HOCKEY/RIOT, VOLLEYBALL/FURY, TENNIS/SNEAKERS, LACROSSE/SMASH, FASTPITCH/FIRESTIX
- (Audio) Time to check out the chart-toppers of 1998. Given
snippets of six songs released in 1998, name the artists FFPE.
ANSWER: BEN FOLDS FIVE, K-CI AND JOJO, ROBYN, AQUA, ALL SAINTS, Loreena MCKENNITT
- Gee! You could've had a V-8 bonus! Wait -- you still can! Give the eight
"vegetable" juices in a V-8. You will get five points for each one after
the second one you can name. Note: scientifically speaking, not all of
them are, properly speaking "vegetables."
ANSWER: TOMATO, CARROT, CELERY, BEET, PARSLEY, LETTUCE, WATERCRESS, SPINACH
- F5P each, name the two people or characters who, in tandem,
participated in the described ad campaign.
- This pair spent four years touting Polaroid One Step and Sun System
cameras. Their back and forth banter was so good that many people assumed
they were married. You can see the male half nowadays in ads for Nicotrol,
and she appears in ads for Axid.
ANSWER: James GARNER, Mariette HARTLEY
- You probably don't know them as Dick Maugg and David Rufkahr, but
you may know them as the respectively silent and avuncular pitchmen for a
specific alcoholic beverage, which was supposedly named for them.
ANSWER: Frank BARTLES, Ed JAYMES
- These two dogs say nothing, but they've been pitching products for
RCA for years, recenly with voice-overs by Patrick Stewart.
ANSWER: NIPPER, CHIPPER
- In the gold medal game in men's basketball at the 1998
Goodwill Games, the Australians took the U.S. to the limit. Name these
Australian stars FTPE.
- This guard, considered Australia's greatest living basketball
player, led Seton Hall to the 1989 NCAA Championship game.
ANSWER: Andrew GAZE
- This shooting guard scored 38 points in the final. His NBA
career consists of spending the 1996-97 seasons riding the pine with
ANSWER: Shane HEAL
- This center, the only member of the Aussie Nationals currently in the
NBA, plays for Dallas.
ANSWER: Chris ANTSEY
- Name these musicians who've lent their voices to The Simpsons
- Bart attends his first concert for this band, who leave the
stage in anger after performing Break Like the Wind. Later, their tour
bus is involved in an accident with Bart's school bus.
ANSWER: SPINAL TAP
- He's the lead singer for We're Sending Our Love Down the Well, a benefit song for Timmy O'Toole.
ANSWER: STING (or Gordon SUMNER)
- Driving to Capital City when Homer gets a tryout as team
mascot for the local baseball team, this man croons about Capital City
on the side of the road.
ANSWER: Tony BENNETT
- Admit it -- you read the internet newsgroup alt.sex.stories, but only
for the articles. Given an abbreviation used to describe the content of a
story on alt.sex.stories, give the behavior described FTPE.
ANSWER: ROMANTIC (accept equivalents)
ANSWER: VOYEURISM (accept equivalents)
- mc (MODERATOR: Make sure they know it's "Michael Charlie" and not "Nancy Charlie")
ANSWER: MIND CONTROL (accept equivalents)
- FTP each, name the Jaguar model from a description.
- The popular designation for their E-type, it was introduced in 1961
With a top speed of 150 miles an hour, over 72000 were sold during its
run. The original one came in two models, an open roadster and a
- With a top speed of 212 miles and hour, it was the fastest
production car in the world when introduced. Built by Jaguar Sport
Limited, this 500 horsepower monster cost $600,000. In 1989, over 1500
potential buyers put down $76,000, even though only 350 were being built.
- It was the first Jaguar model that company co-founder William Lyons
personally endorsed in print. The first new model in over a decade when
rolled out in 1968, it is still in production.
- Being a member of the Braves Fab Four pitching staff has its
advantages. If you're the Fifth Beatle, it's like being Pete Best. Name
these Fifth Beatle pitchers for the Braves FTPE.
- The current fifth banana surprised everyone but himself in
1998 by going 10-4 during the first half of the season.
ANSWER: Kevin MILLWOOD
- Early this season, the Braves flip-flopped Millwood with this
43-year-old, to aid this player's attempts to become baseball's
winningest Latino pitcher.
ANSWER: Dennis MARTINEZ
- Named fifth banana in 1996, he won only three starters before
being traded to the Pirates for Denny Neagle. Now this 25-year-old is one
of the stars in Pittsburgh's Young Bucs rotation.
ANSWER: Jason SCHMIDT
- Name these singers who've had Top 40 hits in four different
decade on their first and last hits FTPE, or for other work FFPE.
-  1964's People, and 1996's I Finally Found Someone, a duet
with Bryan Adams.
 As a film star, she's appeared in Funny Girl, Yentl,
and The Way We Were.
ANSWER: Barbra STREISAND
-  1959's What'd I Say (Part One) and 1990's I'll Be Good To
You, featuring Quincy Jones and Chaka Khan.
 This blind performer's other hits include Georgia On
My Mind and Hit The Road Jack.
ANSWER: Ray CHARLES
-  1958's The Diary and 1980's Should've Let You Go
 Other hits include Calendar Girl and Breaking Up is Hard To Do.
ANSWER: Neil SADAKA
- While many consider the Tour de France pretty dull, this year's
edition provided something for everyone. Answer these questions about it
for the stated number of points.
- Rather than fight the World Cup for attention, the Tour started this
year, FFP, on what island nation?
- On the Tour's last day in Ireland, this Briton fell in a
spectacular crash, which took him from the lead and put him out of the race.
ANSWER: Chris BOARDMAN
- Drug scandals rocked the Tour this year, with no fewer than six
teams coming under suspicion. One team, considered the world's best, was
the first to be ejected from the Tour. F15P, name this team whose members
include Richard Verinque (ver-IN-eek) and world champ Laurent Bouchard.
- Answer the following questions, FTPE:
- This actor has been acting since the 50's, with appearances in Gandhi and Firestarter. His most famous role was that of Captain Benjamin Willard in Apocolypse Now.
ANSWER: Martin SHEEN
- This man has made his mark in the '80s and '90s with parts like Chris in Platoon, hotshot pitcher Ricky Vaughn in Major League, and fighter pilot Topper Harley in the Hot Shots series.
ANSWER: Charlie SHEEN
- In Hot Shots Part Deux, Charlie Sheen is floating on a boat in a river when another boat floats by, carrying Martin Sheen. They look at each other and say the same thing at the same time. FTP, what do they say?
ANSWER: "LOVED YOU IN WALL STREET"
- Answer these book questions that may or may not be related for the stated number of points.
- What started out as a jotting of inspirational messages and ideas
for his son turned into this 1993 best-seller for H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
ANSWER: LIFE'S LITTLE INSTRUCTION BOOK
- FTP, soon after the Brown book became a best-seller, James
Bryant penned this spoof, described as a pulp product of perverted
proverbs and proferrings.
ANSWER: LIFE'S LITTLE DESTRUCTION BOOK
- F15P, written by actor/game show panelist/Tan Man George
Hamilton, this 1998 book teaches men everything from junk food to the joys
of marriage to the greater joy of divorce.
ANSWER: LIFE'S LITTLE PLEASURES
- While it may not seem it, the Late Show with David Letterman is
festooned with college graduates. FTPE, name...
- The Indiana school which proudly calls Dave an alum, and at which
he's endowed a scholarship for mediocre students.
ANSWER: BALL STATE University
- Paul Shaffer stayed in-province to attend university, matriculating
at what Ontario institution?
ANSWER: UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO
- While not an official cast member, Rupert Jee, owner of Hello Deli
and frequent Late Show participant, holds a degree in economics from what
New York school?
ANSWER: CITY COLLEGE of New York
- You've seen the crappy movie, now answer these questions about the
not at all crappy TV show The Avengers.
- FFP, while Uma Thurman played her on film, who filled Emma Peel's
leather jumpsuit on the small screen?
ANSWER: Diana RIGG
- FTP, name either one of John Steed's two female partners other than
Peel, one before and one after.
ANSWER: Cathering GALE or Tara KING
- In the show's first season, Steed actually partnered with another
man. F15P, name this character, an idealistic doctor played by Ian
ANSWER: David KEEL
- Women in Prison films -- bizarre cultural artifact or just trashy movies? Mostly the sort of thing you see on Saturday just before Jamie Farr tries to sell you vinyl siding. ID these WIP movies, [email protected]:
- Wendy O. Williams and Sybil Danning roughed up Linda Carol in this 1986 WIP film right up until the riot. Also starring were Sherri Stoner and Pat Ast as Edna.
ANSWER: REFORM SCHOOL GIRLS
- In this 1955 film by exploitation filmmaker Bryan Foy , Ida Lupino played sadistic warden Amelia Van Zant, brutalizing her charges -- yet another riot ensued. She reprised the role for TV in Women in Chains.
ANSWER: WOMEN’S PRISON
- Though Women’s Prison is considered the first WIP film, the grandma of the genre is this 1950 flick. Oscar nominee Eleanor Parker, a nice woman tenuously involved in a robbery, is put in the joint where only the strong survive. The warden, played by Agnes Moorehead, fails to keep Eleanor’s spirits up.
- Name these people that have SOMETHING in common FTPE.
- This British keyboardist's lone American Top 40 hit was 1984's 19.
ANSWER: Paul HARDCASTLE
- He played Seymour Goldfarb, a Florida-based business heir who
acted, sounded, and seduced women like a certain actor, in 1981's
ANSWER: Roger MOORE
- This cynical rock star played the cynical rock star in _Pink
Floyd: The Wall_
ANSWER: Bob GELDOF
- For 10 additional points, all three had something to do with
what 1998 film, the last two for being in it, the third as the film's
- Given a description, name the travelogue by the peripatetic Paul
- He travels from his mother's home in Medford, Masachusetts to as far
south in South America as he can by train.
ANSWER: THE OLD PATAGONIAN EXPRESS
- Packing light and going around mostly by sea kayak, Theroux visits
the natives of the island nations of the South Pacific.
ANSWER: THE HAPPY ISLES OF OCEANIA
- Going mostly by rail (and a perilous car trip to Tibet with a
government translator), Theroux examines the cities and countryside of the
People's Republic of China.
ANSWER: RIDING THE IRON ROOSTER