1998 TRASH Regionals
- This actor released an album of jazz standards and comedy bits in 1998, called Vincent LaGuardia Gambini Sings For You. Vincent LaGuardia Gambini was the name of the character this actor played in a 1992 movie, two years after winning a Best Supporting Actor Oscar, and months after introducing Leo Getz to the big screen. FTP name this actor, who won his Oscar for GoodFellas.
ANSWER: Joe PESCI
- Born in 1975 in Lagos, Nigeria, he moved to Great Britain
with his diplomat father as a child and later enrolled at Brunel
University in Middlesex. Yearning to expand his educational and athletic
horizons in the U.S., he opened up a book of American colleges in 1995
and placed his finger on the University of the Pacific, called the
assistant coach of the basketball team, and told him he'd pay his own
way. FTP name this 7-foot-1 center, who went from that to being the top
pick in the 1998 NBA Draft.
ANSWER: Michael OLOWOKANDI
- Elephant Boy, King of all Blacks, Steve the Hitler Guy, Ursula the
Chick who sleeps with Celebrities, and everyone's favorite, Hank, the
angry drunk dwarf have all been his guests. FTP, name this man whose E!
network weekend show has been moved to Sunday to not conflict with his new
CBS Saturday night venture, which may cement his self-granted title of
King of All Media.
ANSWER: Howard STERN
- Six original members of this group reunited for a 20th
anniversary tour in 1998. Created in 1978 by Edgardo Diaz, they've sold more than 20 million albums in five languages, and were UNICEF's International Youth Ambassadors in 1984. Turnover for this group is high, with at least 32 members since 1978, as members are fired once they turn 16. FTP name this Miami-based group, whose Spanglish singing was a staple on ABC's Saturday morning schedule in the mid-1980's.
- It is NBC's longest running game show. It had two prime time stints,
one in 1958 hosted by Jack Barry, the other in 1961 with Hugh Downs. Bob
Clayton and Jack Narz also hosted the daytime version, and in 1985 Orson
Bean hosted a pilot for a revivial that never caught on. FTP, all of
these hosts served what game show, where solving rebuses led to prizes,
whose "Classic" spin-off was hosted from 1987 to 1991 by Alex Trebeck?
ANSWER: CONCENTRATION (DNA "Classic Concentration")
- The Goops perform a cover of this song on the Mallrats soundtrack. Thanks to a more successful movie, the original version got renewed attention this summer, 29 years after hitting number 3 on the US charts. FTP, name this song, a hit in 1969 by The Foundations, which the cast lipsynchs during the end credits of Therešs Something About Mary.
ANSWER: BUILD ME UP BUTTERCUP
- This event was known to the Mayans, who considered it to be the end of the
world and called it The Death of the Sixth Sun. It is scheduled to occur
sometime in 2012, to the surprise of those who thought it happened in the
1960s. It was described in a 1967 song as occurring when Jupiter aligns with
Mars and peace rules the planets, during which mystic crystals will bring
wisdom. FTP, name this event still associated with crystals, an astronomical
event in which the precession of the Equinox brings us out of the current Age
ANSWER: The Dawning of the AGE OF AQUARIUS
- After going to a concert by BloodLust, Mari and Phyllis stop off at an
apartment to score some pot. They go to the wrong apartment and become
capitves at the hands of Krug, an escaped convict. He and his gang take
the girls to the country, where they have there way with the girls before
killing them. The real fun starts after they try to hole up at the
closest house to the killings. Turns out Mari's parents live there, and
they have their own plans for getting back at Krug. So goes, FTP, the
basic plot of what 1972 slasher film, the directorial debut of Wes Craven?
ANSWER: LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT
- The Seanchan now posesses Ebou Dar. Rand, now in Illian, vows to
throw them back, but madness among the Asha'man leads him to make a
possibly fatal decision. Perrin deals with the Whitecloaks, Shaido Aiel,
and the Prophet while in Ghealdan. The rebel Aes Sedai face a force that
seeks to deny them the White Tower. All of this takes place during, FTP,
what current release by Robert Jordan, the eighth book in the Wheel of
ANSWER: The PATH OF DAGGARS
- They come in 100 different models, and can cost up to 300 dollars.
Though they only have a top speed of five miles an hour, not beyond the
driving abilities of their intended users, kids ages two to seven,
federal officials say six children were hurt this year alone when they
failed to stop. At least another 150 were damaged when the vehicle
overheated and burst into flames, forcing Fisher-Price to recall more than
two million of these toys, and spend more than 27 million dollars to make
"repairs". FTP name these four-wheel toys.
ANSWER: POWER WHEELS
- Michael Gilchrist, now in early 30s, is an ad exec for CBS Newsradio
88 in New York. In his previous career he appeared in over 250 ads for
products like Jell-o, Skippy peanut butter, and Pepto-Bismol. Even so,
he'll never outlive his best known TV ad character, or the rumors that he
died from mixing Pop Rocks and Coke. FTP, name the character that
Gilchrist played from 1971 to 1987 in ads for Life cereal.
ANSWER: MIKEY (prompt on "Life" until you say the cereal name)
- In his first starring role, he played a detective fighting
meteorite-travelling Amazons in 1986's The Pink Chiquitas. A few years
earlier, he had three roles in Rocky 3, as an unnamed opponent, an
unnamed singer, and an unnamed hood. As a musician, he wrote and
performed the soundtrack to 1983's Staying Alive, including the Top 10
hit Far From Over. FTP name this Hollywood sibling, whom Norm McDonald
continually blamed the world's problems on on Saturday Night Live.
ANSWER: Frank STALLONE (more on "Stallone")
- He's not gay, altough he has had sex with men. He's not married,
though he lives with his ex-wife, his new girlfriend and an assortment of
his children. His stand up commedy --including a memorable bit about Don
Knotts being anally raped, got him noticed, and landed him roles on the
Ben Stiller show and in Stiller's flick The Cable Guy. FTP, name the
actor commedian, currently playing Matthew on Newsradio.
ANSWER: Andy DlCK
- Joining GM's Pontiac divison after stints with Chrysler and Packard,
he gained notoriety for brining the wide-track look to the Catalina and
the Bonneville. The creative genius behind such cars as the 1960 Tempest
and the GTO, he left GM to start his own company, which didn't produce an
automobile from its Northern Ireland plant until 1981. Heavily in debt
from this failure, he turned to drug trafficking, for which he was
arrested in 1982 but acquitted in 1985. FTP name this auto magnate best
known for his gull-winged, stainless steel sports car.
ANSWER: John DELOREAN
- His fiancee is Rachel Miner, who played Michelle Bauer on
Guiding Light for six seasons, before starring on Broadway in The Diary
of Anne Frank. The two met while attending New York's Professional
Children's School, and have been going out since September. They
were going to wait until August to get married, when this semi-retired actor turns
18 -- but love conquers all. FTP name this teen, isn't Home Alone anymore.
ANSWER: Macaulay CULKIN
- Show that you're a fan of The Bangles and, FAQTP, ring in and walk like an Egyptian.
ANSWER: WALKING (or standing, if space forbids) WITH ONE ARM IN FRONT OF BODY, THE OTHER BEHIND, WITH WRISTS AND ELBOWS BENT SO UPPER ARMS AND HANDS ARE MORE OR LESS PARALLEL WITH FLOOR
- Comprised of what the author calls "after-dinner mints to the big meal
of literature," most of them have already appeared in The New Yorker and
The New York Times. With titles like "Mars Probe Finds Kittens" and "The
Sledgehammer: How It Works," two dozen of these short humor pieces have
been put into book form. FTP, name this book by actor turned scribe Steve
ANSWER: PURE DRIVEL
- According to their theme song, "they are taking on evil, come what may,
they are fighting all crime to save the day." They enjoy lifting weights,
and when Bighead or another villain threatens peace, they drive to the
scene in a, well, phallic car. FTP who are these crime fighters, named
Ace and Gary, a Robert Smigel cartoon creation that currenly appears on
Saturday Night Live?
ANSWER: AMBIGUOUSLY GAY DUO
- A 1996 book of his work had an unusual twist: his drawings were all
done on place mats while waiting for meals in his current hometown of
Sauve, France. While many are rather mundane pictures of fellow patrons,
other drawings show an alien wearing a farmer's hat demanding ice cream
and three dozen or so tortured-looking creatures. None of the subjects keep
on truckin', though. All of this work can be found in Waiting For Food:
Restaurant Placemat Drawings by what underground comic artist?
ANSWER: Robert CRUMB
- A native of Lake Mary, Florida, he was a dominant force on
the National Junior Golf circuit in high school, capturing 12 titles, and
earning a scholarship to Georgia Tech. A third-team All-American and ACC
freshman of the year in 1997, he upset the more experienced John Harris
and Brad Elder to take that year's U-S Amateur. FTP name this amateur,
whose surprisingly carefree attitude and strong play led him to a 22nd
place finish at the Masters and a 15th place finish in the U.S. Open in
ANSWER: Matt KUCHAR
- (Visual) Do you have what it takes to be a Hulkamaniac? Ring
in and, FTP, pose like the Hulkster would do after he won a match.
ANSWER: MODERATOR DISCRETION
- Harrison Ford has driven two vehicles equipped with these- a car in
American Graffiti and, in some prints of Star Wars, the Milennium Falcon.
Their long association with cars was reflected by Hot Rodder magazine,
which in 1997 offered a free pair with a three year subscription. They
also appear in non-hot-rod vehicles, a pair were hanging in the cab that
took Will Smith to sit on his throne as the Prince of Bel Air. FTP, name
this stereotypical decoration for car rear-view mirrors.
ANSWER: FUZZY DICE (accept equivalents)