1998 TRASH Regionals
- Answer the following questions about the controversy surrounding the MP3 digital audio format, FTPE:
- This organization has been the most ardent opponent of the MP3 format, because of the ability if affords listeners to make exact digital copies of music and transmit it over the Internet -- which infringes on it's affiliates' intellectual property.
ANSWER: RIAA or RECORDING INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA
- This is the company that makes Winamp, the most popular Windows program for listening to MP3s.
- This company just won a lawsuit filed by the RIAA to stop production of the RIO, a portable device for listening to MP3s.
ANSWER: DIAMOND Multimedia
- Beanie Babies are everywhere! Somebody stop them, especially on the
baseball diamond! Name the animal represented by these Beanies that made
- Dealers offered All-Star patrons as much as five thousand dollars for
the official All-Star Game Beanie Baby, Glory, this type of animal.
- For a Cubs game in 1998, kids received Daisy, this kind of animal, a
Beanie created in honor of the late Harry Caray.
- The only Beanie in the Hall of Fame is Valentino, this kind of animal,
which was given away at Yankee Stadium the day David Wells pitched a perfect
- Which Baldwin you be? Given a film, tell me if it features
Alec, Daniel, Stephen, or William Baldwin. Five points each:
- Fair Game
- Car 54, Where Are You?
- Married to the Mob
- ID the artists of these Sounds of the Seventies, FTPE:
- "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)"
ANSWER: EDISON LIGHTHOUSE
- "Little Green Bag"
ANSWER: GEORGE BAKER SELECTION
- "Stuck in the Middle With You"
ANSWER: STEALERS WHEEL
- The night before Seinfeld's last episode, this sitcom based its plot
around the main characters trying to have sex in public, taking advantage
of everyone being inside watching Seinfeld.
- FFP, what ABC sitcom was this?
ANSWER: DHARMA AND GREG
- FTP, Dharma and Greg had to copulate in a strange place to win back
a statue of what animal, actually a goose but called this "because goose
doesn't rhyme," according to Dharma.
- F15P, at what San Francisco landmark did Dharma and Greg finally shag?
ANSWER: GHIARDELLI SQUARE
- FTPE, name the regular feature from Entertainment Weekly from a
- His column rattles off 15 gags in list fashion that were apparently
rejected by David Spade's Hollywood Minute skit.
ANSWER: JIM MULLEN'S HOT SHEET
- Someone pass on? Did Robert Downey get busted again? Mia Farrow
adopt another kid? All of this info can be found here, along with announcements
about weddings, divorces, and lawsuits.
- Within the regular TV section is this listing of shows the EW folks
think are the pick of the week's crop.
ANSWER: WHAT TO WATCH
- Even in Nashville, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. A duo and a
top female country artist combined on a single which appeared on both of their albums. The single's title is a combination of the two act's album
titles. FTPE, name the two artists and the shared single.
ANSWER: BROOKS & DUNN, Reba MCENTIRE, IF YOU SEE HIM/IF YOU SEE HER
- All music is poetry, and the lyrics is the prose. Given the lyrics to a 1998 song read in "poetry slam" style, name the song FTPE.
If you need the artist, you'll only receive five points.
- (10) Looks like we made it
Look how far we've come my baby
We mighta took the long way
We knew we'd get there someday
(5) Shania Twain
ANSWER: YOU'RE STILL THE ONE
- (10) No love for the haters, man
Cause I got floor seats at the Lakers
See me on the 50-yard line for the Raiders
Met Ali, he told me
I'm The Greatest.
(5) Will Smith
ANSWER: GETTIN JIGGY WITH IT
- (10) Everynite in my dreams
I see you, I feel you
That's how I know
You go on
Far across the distance
And spaces between us
(5) Celine Dion
ANSWER: MY HEART WILL GO ON
- ID the actor from roles, 30-20-10:
-  Lukas Hart III in Bob Roberts
-  Hans Gruber in Die Hard.
-  The Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
ANSWER: Alan RICKMAN
- To Generation Y, she's the Second Lady. But to Generation X, she was the evil head of the Parents Music Resource Center. Name these musicians who attacked Tipper Gore in their own special way 15PE, or five points for an easier clue.
- (15) After Tipper blasted this hard-rock band in 1990 for releasing explotaitive music and videos, they released Ode to Tipper Gore, 90 seconds of obscenities.
(5) Music critics joined Tipper in blasting this Jani Lane-led quintet for 1990's Cherry Pie, the album and single.
- (15) This rapper released KKK Bitch, which told of his fantasy about having group sex with Tipper's nieces.
(5) This rapper/actor earned the hatred of Tipper and all law enforcement via 1992's Cop Killer.
ANSWER: WARRANT, ICE-T
- You call THAT a Godzilla movie? The Japanese did it right!
Name these other monsters in the original Godzilla series for the stated number of points.
- (5) This gigantic prehistoric bird was awoken by an H-bomb experiment and promptly destroyed Tokyo. Later teamed with Godzilla to fight the baddies in several sequels.
- (10) Called Monster Zero by denizens of Planet X, and
considered a monarch by an anti-Japan coalition in a 1991 film, this
lizard-like beast is known for its three heads.
- (15) This 400-pound sludge blob, made entirely of industrial
pollution, battled Godzilla in a 1972 film.
ANSWER: HEDORA or the SMOG MONSTER
- Remember the Rubik's Cube? Well, old Erno Rubik had a lot of other
ideas too. Given a description of a Rubik product, name it FTPE.
- A simple idea: instead of a 3-by-3 cube, try a 4-by-4 one.
ANSWER: Rubik's REVENGE
- Another simple idea: instead of a cube, try a three-sided pyramid made out
of other three-sided pyramids.
ANSWER: Rubik's TRIAMID
- Also known as Rubik's Rings, it starts out as a flat mosaic of three
free floating rings. The tile segments can be flipped about in a dizzying
array of directions, until, ideally, you wind up with three interlocked rings.
ANSWER: Rubik's MAGIC
- ID these Alfred Hitchcock films, FTPE:
- Henry Fonda plays a nightclub musician, who gets mistaken for a bank robber and his life disintegrates. Based on the true story of Manny Balestrero, Hitchcock left out true evidence of his Balestrero's innocence, to heighten tension.
ANSWER: The WRONG MAN
- In this 1951 film, Bruno Anthony wants to exchange murders with tennis pro Guy Haines, much like its comedic 1987 remake, Throw Momma from the Train.
ANSWER: STRANGERS ON A TRAIN
- Hitchcock set out to put all the suspenseful action scenes he could think of in this 1959 film starring Cary Grant as Roger Thornhill, an advertising exec hounded across the country as a spy.
ANSWER: NORTH BY NORTHWEST
- The two-part season ending episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer saw the
return of some characters and introduction of others. FTPE:
- What vampire, played by Julie Benz, returned in flashback to show
her siring Angel in 18th century Galway?
- Also returning was this other vampire slayer, played by Bianca
Lawson, who became a Slayer when Buffy died briefly at the end of the
- Angel's relationship with Buffy was revealed to go back earlier than
we thought, as he was guided to her as a possible protector by what demon
trying to do good, as played by Max Perlich?
- It's a world of laughter, and a world of tears, a world of hopes, and
a world of BEERS! Given a beer of the world, give the country in which it
is ostensibly brewed for the stated number of points. Yes, we know many "import" brewers
surreptitiously brew their beer "overseas" -- that is, here -- for distribution in North America,
but let's play their little game this one time, shall we?
-  Guiness
-  Molson's
-  Carlsberg
-  Saku
- Geocities groups its webpages into "neighborhoods" that reflect their
common content. Given Geocities' description of a neighborhood, give its
geographic name F5P each and a 5 point bonus for all correct.
ANSWER: MADISON AVENUE
- Cars, trucks, motorcycles
ANSWER: MOTOR CITY
- Science fiction and fantasy
ANSWER: AREA 51
- Sports and recreation
- Food, wining, dining out, the gourmet lifestyle
ANSWER: NAPA VALLEY
- Identify the following phone numbers you might use if you are highly
susceptible to advertising FTP each. Operators are standing by. Oh, and
answers must be given in numerals.
- You would dial this number if your kids are struggling to learn to
read and you want to get them Hooked on Phonics.
- If you're having problems obtaining a loan, you should turn to major
rap stars for advice and dial this number that apparently hundreds of
them enthusiastically support.
- You're nobody's friend, and certainly not Al Bundy's, if you don't
use this number to save up to 44% on reversed charge phone calls.
ANSWER: 1-800-265-5328 (NOTE: They are 1-800-ABCDEFG, 1-800-YES-CREDIT, and 1-800-COLLECT respectively,
but no points for giving answers in words or letters)
- This bonus is easier than it sounds. FTPE, give the numerical police
radio code for an event given the event and the number of digits in the
code. If you need a second clue, you'll get five points each.
-  Homicide, 3 digits
 This number was the inspiration for the title of a 1997 movie
starring Samuel L. Jackson as a teacher at a homicide-plagued inner-city school.
-  Marijuana possession, 3 digits
 This number is a now a slang term for marijuana, and an insiration
for liberal colleges on the west coast to hold twice-daily pot parties in
the early morning and mid-afternoon.
-  Domestic disturbance, 4 digits
 Many domestic disturbances in the 80s could have been caused by
rebellious teenagers listening to this Van Halen album too loud.
- At the end of Bloom County's run, all of its characters other than
Opus get jobs with comic strips not drawn by Berke Breathed. FTPE, given
information about the post-Bloom County career of a character, name him/her/it.
- He went back in time, becoming a boar skinner for Prince Valiant.
ANSWER: Michael BINKLEY
- This woman, close to Opus's heart, found work at Playboy exposing
herself to its erstwhile readers.
ANSWER: Lola GRANOLA
- Thanks to a court order, he's getting bused in to The Family Circus.
His IQ may be higher than the Keane clan altogether.
ANSWER: OLIVER WENDELL JONES
- Even if you didn't own a computer, you might know some high-tech companies from the commercials they seem to be plastering over everything. ID these techie companies from their ads, F15PE:
- Sam Neill looks through a network jack and apparently into the bright future of this company. ID this MCI networking provider, which claims to "own the whole network" -- whatever that means.
- In the time it takes lighting to strike, every book the Library of Congress can be sent across the country -- flawlessly. If that's what you need, then call these guys -- but beyond that, this commercial gives us no clue what they do. You may have seen their name on long-distance calling cards, however.
- ID the actor from roles, 30-20-10:
-  Principal Himbry in Scream
-  Coach Klein in The Waterboy, Chuck Lumley in Night Shift
-  Butchey Weinstein in The Lords of Flatbush
-  The Fonz in Happy Days
ANSWER: Henry WINKLER
- FTPE, answer these questions about VH-1's latest attempt to gain viewers,
Rock and Roll Jeopardy!
- Former host of the fX show Backchat and a regular on Access Hollywood,
he is Rock n Roll Jeopardy!'s answer to Alex Trebeck.
ANSWER: Jeff PROBST
2 She's appeared on Ellen and Seinfeld during both shows last season, and
was in the film Why Do Fools Fall in Love. Who is this woman, the show's
ANSWER: Loretta FOX
- While it airs on VH-1, what company produces Rock n Roll Jeopardy! for
ANSWER: COLUMBIA TRI-STAR Television